Top emerging cities of style?

Reaction score
Paris, Milan, NY, Tokyo and London already have a foot hold... But what other city's are producing new designers and ideas in fashion?

Maybe Barcelona? I think there are some great designers in Montreal as well (Renata Morales, Yves Jean Lacasse, Andy Thê-Ann, Denis Gagnon, etc etc).

I think Berlin is on its way to being considered the next "cool" city in terms of fashion, music, and art.

Antwerp has been under the radar for what seems like ages, I'm surprised it hasn't picked up more. (The street style there is my all-time favorite.) Maybe because Belgium can't seem to shake its reputation as a boring country?

Copenhagen has a lot going for it, but Denmark is a very inaccessible country for foreigners at this point.

I'm rooting for Barcelona and Montreal, but I don't really know much about them.

Lastly, I think one city will end up surprising all of us. Maybe somewhere in South America or the Balkans or...who knows? Trend-watchers can only predict things up to a point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Antwerp is really hard to categorize. I think it's definitely emerged, just not on the public map. It's a subculture... and that's the way I like it and I want it to stay that way.

I think Moscow/St. Petersburg will be big, as well as Hong Kong/Beiging/Shanghai. I am basing this on the general cultural/economic climate. Both, Russian and Chinese cultures are incredibly rich with art, and both countries are coming into incredible amounts of money. Once the original wave of the new rich with their bad tastes subsides, and their children will get a better taste of what's refined, they will be HUGE players in fashion. It might happen in a long time from now though...

I am a little surprised that Scandinavia is not a big player, considering a big design presence in other realms. They have successful designers, but there doesn't seem to be a strong overall current (and Scandinavian members, please correct me if I have the wrong impression). I would pick Copenhagen to get there first...

Last edited by a moderator:
^ you are definitely not wrong.. and i think Shanghai is a pretty nice pick too...

Copenhagen has a lot going for it, but Denmark is a very inaccessible country for foreigners at this point.

Inaccessible..? in terms of what? :rolleyes:

^Agreed about Antwerp,Faust.

Actually,I think Berlin is the same as Antwerp,in that sense. As big and popular as it it,it does have a kind of sub-culture quality with regards to fashion/style.

Vienna?? They're coming along quite well.

/\ Yep, definitely left Vienna out. I've said it before, when I visited it a couple of years ago, a cultural clash was in the air.

Inaccessible..? in terms of what? :rolleyes:[/quote]

I totally didn't mean that as an insult to Denmark. :flower: From some people I know, I have gathered that it is not so easy for young people who aren't serious professionals (like students, artistic types) to go live there. It is quite closed to foreign work placement even though it is part of the EU, in comparison to several other EU countries which are nearby and in similar economic conditions. Actually this goes for many Scandinavian cities. Also, it is one of the places where I would :heart: to live, but all the Danish people I've met have told me that I will have a very difficult time finding work there, and that the cost of living is very high.

(By the way, I have always been obsessed, OBSESSED, with The Little Mermaid.)

I didn't take it as an insult... sorry if i misled you ^_^

Yeah.. on that subject, we're quite inaccessible.. and yeah, the cost of living in CPH is one of the highest in Europe i believe...

The Little Mermaid is cute, although people always tend to cut her head off.. now and then :lol:

Hong Kong and Shanghai in terms of local fashion designers are definitely on the up.
Sydney has long been cemented as the Antipodean fashion rep.
I agree with all the Europe ones. I also think Eastern European cities will really come into their own (since their entry into the EU) and more and more seem to come over to study at St Martins, London.

Baizilla said:
I didn't take it as an insult... sorry if i misled you ^_^

Yeah.. on that subject, we're quite inaccessible.. and yeah, the cost of living in CPH is one of the highest in Europe i believe...

The Little Mermaid is cute, although people always tend to cut her head off.. now and then :lol:

I'm so glad! I'm always worried that I'll offend someone on TFS if I say something critical.

gahhhh i dont think london is really a "fashion city".

a lot of these "emerging" cities of style - montreal, barcelona or berlin - arent fashion mecas in the way milan or paris are. they arent home to all these haute couture designer houses. but they'Re just cities where people dress well....they're also cities with a strong alternative culture and big student communities.

people dress better in montreal and barcelona than they do in paris (so overrated!)

Boluda said:
gahhhh i dont think london is really a "fashion city".

a lot of these "emerging" cities of style - montreal, barcelona or berlin - arent fashion mecas in the way milan or paris are. they arent home to all these haute couture designer houses. but they'Re just cities where people dress well....they're also cities with a strong alternative culture and big student communities.

people dress better in montreal and barcelona than they do in paris (so overrated!)

I think by "fashion city", what comes to mind is a city whose culture and aesthetic becomes fashionable. Like when all of a sudden London almost became a brand in and of itself - every British-based company started emphasizing their connection to London. Or now that we see references to Tokyo style in Western magazines and popular music.

What you have in mind seems to be more in terms of cities that breed fashion labels and designers. I'm not sure that a good fashion school(s) makes a good "fashion city". For example, Arnhem in the Netherlands has a truly fantastic, innovative fashion school, but the place itself is nothing to write home about.

actually gasoline, i named montreal, barcelona (and forgot berlin) in the "top emerging cities of style" in my first post above. they're the first 2-3 cities that popped into my head when i read the topic title. :smile:

my point is that i find a lot of the recognized "cities of style" totally overrated. i dont really associate london (and england in gen) with fashion. and street style in paris is boring and conservative.

them scandinavians dress very well also!

I think Antwerp and Berlin are alrwady kind of recognized as fashion cities. Not on a big level though i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noircheese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->