Top emerging cities of style?

GasolineRainbow said:
I think Berlin is on its way to being considered the next "cool" city in terms of fashion, music, and art.

Antwerp has been under the radar for what seems like ages, I'm surprised it hasn't picked up more. (The street style there is my all-time favorite.) Maybe because Belgium can't seem to shake its reputation as a boring country?

Copenhagen has a lot going for it

Lastly, I think one city will end up surprising all of us. Maybe somewhere in the Balkans or...who knows? Trend-watchers can only predict things up to a point.

said it for me Gasoline..
i just need to add Vienna & Amsterdam they both seem very promising at the moment..
China (HK) and Moscow are also boiling, but i think it will take time.

wishing i could see more from NY or anywhere in USA, american designers are quite talented in modernism

yeah i agree on amsterdam

when i went there i saw many many good looks both girls & boys that it was much better than other european cities

Cape Town (that's in South Africa for the uninitiated) is a city with very hip and vibrant street style.

Because of the spectacular natural beauty,unique light and temperate Meditteranean type climate it has become a favourite shoot location for movies,advertisements and fashion stories. It has also (unfortunately for the locals) feautured prominently as a new holiday and second home location for the jet set.

The city has only really gotten going on the international radar for the past 10 years since the end of apartheid in SA,and the future is very promising.

I don't think that there are too many SA designers that will make it big in the near future,but as a stylish city that contributes a more and more to the global "vibe",this is it:flower: .

Lena said:
i just need to add Vienna & Amsterdam they both seem very promising at the moment..

was just in vienna a couple of weeks ago, and it's definitely a a stylish city...so many beautifully dressed people in one place :heart: though I must say it doesn't strike me as a "trendy" city. people there seem to dress for quality and sophistication as opposed to overt trendiness.

copenhagen, stockholm, helsinki...
i think the scandinavians, having a culture rooted in very good design, are always ahead of the game...
they have always been smart at making good design affordable...
mass-culturizing (?) so that everyone can access beautiful, thoughtful design...
making it non-elitist...

antwerp as well...
belgian designers have always been so elegant and so hard-working...
their work is so provocative and intellectual...

I think Antwerb, Stockholm, Moscow, Hong Kong and Barcelona are now very stylish cities and people know how to dress there.

first post...

For me, definitely Istanbul:heart:
It's been my love for quite a few years now, but lately I've noticed a growing interest.

Such a dynamic city, it just cooks with creative energy!

from what I've seen, it has one of the most interesting art scenes in Europe at the moment.

Having lived in Denmark (and Milan) I'm of the opinion is that interesting fashion starts in liberal, smaller cities with a majority of young inhabitants (read university towns) like some of the forementioned places. Let's not forget Florence was the center of the renaissance but itself was not the seat of power or even large at the time. Places like Amsterdam, San Fransisco, Antwerp, Montreal and Rekjavik all breed creativity without the constraints of the conservative classes and commerce (like Milan or Paris). Copenhagen should be on the map already as the people really have a passion for fashion on the same level as the Italians (but without the status quo of Gucci, blah blah). Wow, they're also the warmest people, too. I'll throw in Melbourne and Vancouver as they seem to be on the crossroads of East and West cultures and we know that IS the future.

anyone know the difference between beijing and shanghai in terms of style?

anyway, i'd say sao paulo except it's a pretty established fashion city.. still I think it's on the way to being on a level with the paris etc?

also.. how about denmark. well, their film industry isn't doing too bad!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you lena!

Bidwell, I think you have a point with the conservative classes and commerce. Berlin, from what I've understood, seems to be an example of it- capital is fleeing and art people have been moving in. But I guess London at least is an example of commerce and creativity fitting into the same city -though it obviously is no "emerging" city.

That being said, my old university city (one of the more well known in Northern Europe) is really a fantastically boring and conservative place!

Continuing on the middle-eastern theme: I've heard some great stuff about Beirut. Anybody know anything?

Hong Kong is certainly on the map, but i think it may take few seasons

i absolutely adore antwerp.. but i think HK is the new spot..undoubtedly..look at the population and the attitude of the socitety ..its very image/status driven and theyve got money.. consumer wise i think theyre the next big thing but induvidual stylewise .. i have my own opinions. which is why i love antwerp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->