Twitter Claiming to be from Vogue HQ elevator *Update* Anonymous Reveals Herself

liberty33r1b

Reaction score
:D

A Twitter account chronicling conversations overheard in the New York building which houses Vogue magazine has become a huge internet hit.
The feed features bitchy comments and gossip overheard in the elevator which could come straight from the script of The Devil Wears Prada.
It has apparently been written by a worker at the headquarters of magazine publisher Conde Nast - and has 15,065 followers after only three days.

She or he has been applauded as a 'brave soul' who risks the wrath of Vogue editor Anna Wintour, played by an icy Meryl Streep in the film.

The 24 Tweets on @CondeElevator reveal that, as one would expect, the office of the most illustrious magazine in fashion is a hotbed of backbiting and bitchiness.

'Things heard in the Conde Nast elevators do not stay in the Conde Nast elevator,' the account says at the top, along with a picture of Streep as Wintour.
Among the best tweets are: 'Girl #1: "There should be an elevator that only goes to Vogue. Just up to the 12th floor and back down." Girl #2: "Totally."'
Another reads: 'Girl 1: "Is this skirt totally see through?" Girl 2: "No! No! Looks great." Guy, after they exit: "That skirt was totally see through."'
And one especially harsh exchange goes: 'Girl #1: "I love that necklace, I saw it at Banana last week and almost bought it too." Girl #2: [flips hair] "This is Gucci."'
Elsewhere the Twitter feed reveals that the staff of Vogue are as obsessed with food as their readers.
'Woman #1 to Woman #2, holding an omelet: "What’s the occasion?" Woman #2: "…huh?" Woman #1: "I would need an occasion to eat that."'
Another reads: 'Lady peering at her friend's to-go box of lettuce and carrots: "Ooooh, that looks good!"'
There are also insights into the perils of keeping up appearances while writing the clothes Bible for everyone else.

'Girl: "Omigod what happened to your knee?!" Fashion boy: "Oh god, I fell dancing!" Girl: "Omigod it’s like you came back from the war."'

Another reads: 'Fashion Girl Fl 12: "Do these shoes make me look like I have cankles?" Fashion Guy: "No, they just have really fat straps."'
And one poor woman apparently said: 'The worst part is I can't wear the Cartier one because the wrist strap gives me a rash.'

The Twitter account also gives an insight into the day-to-day concerns which occupy Vogue’s finest.
'Lady #1: "Well aren't you in a hurry? [air kisses]" Lady #2: "[air kisses] My heli to East Hampton's leaving in 10!"' says one Tweet.
One other reads: 'Girl #1: "...so I'm getting a Keratin treatment." Girl #2: "Oooh." Girl #1: "I'm not worried. I shouldn't be, right?"'
The tweets also reveal the mystique that surrounds Wintour, even to her own staff.

One tweet, tagging the feared editor-in-chief''s name, reads: '[silence] [silence] [silence] [silence] [silence] [silence] [silence] [silence] Summer Intern: "Was that…?" Intern #2: "Yeah" #annawintour'
Since the Twitter feed started on August 6 it has become the talk of the Vogue office but it is not clear how much longer it will last.
Writer Kathryn Maier tweeted: 'Meta: Hearing people talk in the Conde elevator about @CondeElevator.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...tor-internet-hit-just-days.html#ixzz1UcWkoBXt

Last edited by a moderator:
The tweets are hilarious :lol: I wish those are actually real!

Well this sounded really interesting and scandalous.

Until I read the actual tweets.

I interned in this building -- trust me, this is how it is...

This one is priceless :lol:

'Woman #1 to Woman #2, holding an omelet: "What’s the occasion?" Woman #2: "…huh?" Woman #1: "I would need an occasion to eat that."'

I wish this was real. I bet that it's a fake or if not... whoever created it won't have a job for much longer! This twitter makes everyone into fashion look vapid and dumb but I'd like to think that's not the case (as everyone on TFS can attest too).

He/she deleted the Twitter account. Boo! Well it was fun while it lasted.

^Yes, it is still up, but the person hasn't tweeted since August.

Former GQ Editor Lauren Bans Comes Out as @CondeElevator Tweeter

If I were to list the funniest people that I follow on Twitter, former GQ associate editor Lauren Bans would certainly be among them. As if I wasn’t convinced of her social media prowess already, on Tuesday morning, she tweeted the following confession:
https://twitter.com/LaurenBans/status/438210808384737280

In case you need a refresher, @CondeElevator was a Twitter account that posted juicy — and predictably vapid — tidbits that were overheard in the elevators at Condé Nast. The company houses magazines like Vogue, Glamour, Vanity Fair and, of course, GQ, so reading the Twitter feed was like being a fly on the wall in one of the country’s most glamorous and well-known offices. Appropriately, the anonymous account used a photo of Miranda Priestly, the Anna Wintour-inspired character from The Devil Wears Prada, as its avatar.

After skyrocketing to more than 70,000 followers in a matter of weeks, the tweeter called it quits in August 2011 due to threats from the corporate level at 4 Times Square. Bans, who had been at GQ since 2011, must have spilled to her inner circle, since she’s gotten various tweets of support from friends in the fashion and media industries since her confession. A spokesperson for GQ said she had “no idea” if Bans was behind the account, but an editor from the title was able to confirm to us that Bans was behind it all along.

This account spawned a wildly successful copy, @GSElevator, which purported to spill similar secrets and Wall Street from the elevators at Goldman Sachs. The New York Times is reporting that the author of these tweets, John Lefevre, just scored a six figure book deal, and — get this — never even worked at Goldman Sachs. We can only hope that Bans gets a similar offer — we’d read her book in a heartbeat.

Note: This article was updated to reflect that Bans left GQ about a month ago, according to a spokesperson for the title.

fashonista

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->