Victoria's Secret Etc, Etc (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Wait, that's the actual commercial? I thought it was some BTS preview of what would be to come. How sad... not glamorous in any way whatsoever. :unsure:

The ads are so boring these days. The models just dont have the star quality of 10 years ago.

Also has Stella parted ways with VS? She wasnt in the holiday campaign or the valentines one.

Do they even have angels anymore? I can see them running out the 3 or 1 contracts of the ones they had and that’s it, then for each campaign just select a group of models since that’s what they have been doing.

Victoria’s Secret is getting rid of the angels. They'll be replaced with Megan Rapinoe, Adut Akech, Valentina Sampaio, Amanda de Cadenet, Eileen Gu, Paloma Essler, & Priyanka Chopra Jonas. Victoria’s Secret Swaps Angels for ‘What Women Want.’ Will They Buy It?
Christ… the brand really is dead. The end of an era.

I must say, I’m surprised all three of their model additions agreed to sign a contract with VS, at this rate. Adut’s never modeled for VS, despite openly saying a few years ago (2017) that working for the brand would be her dream job, Paloma just started working with them in 2021, and Valentina started out with VS Pink (an abomination!), then doing a brief stint for the mainline and disappearing after the Holiday campaign in 2020… and, of course, all three seem to be very well off on their own re: bookings, without the need for a brand like VS (with their track record in mind). Of course, they are, indeed, three trailblazing models paving the way towards reshaping the worldview of the modeling industry for future generations to come, and necessary for a brand desperately needing to inclusivize in order to maintain a stable consumer base… but one must wonder if they are simply ploys in their larger damage control scheme or lasting additions to the brand, which leads me to my next point: What does this mean for the previously-contracted Angels, especially those most recently contracted (Barbara Palvin, Alexina Graham, Leomie Anderson, Grace Elizabeth)? Will we never hear a word from them in association with the brand again? The only Angel I can recall recently having worked with VS is Taylor Hill…

Regardless, although a step towards the right direction in the face of PR, in the long run, as the majestic, sexy allure once connected with VS continues to be overpowered by a growing demand for inclusivity & accessibility (rather than equally balanced), I don’t see their sales continuing to increase, and, in that case, what other moves are there left to make?

Last edited:

I must say, I’m surprised all three of their model additions agreed to sign a contract with VS, at this rate. Adut’s never modeled for VS, despite openly saying a few years ago (2017) that working for the brand would be her dream job, Paloma just started working with them in 2021, and Valentina started out with VS Pink (an abomination!), then doing a brief stint for the mainline and disappearing after the Holiday campaign in 2020… and, of course, all three seem to be very well off on their own re: bookings, without the need for a brand like VS (with their track record in mind). Of course, they are, indeed, three trailblazing models paving the way towards reshaping the worldview of the modeling industry for future generations to come, and necessary for a brand desperately needing to inclusivize in order to maintain a stable consumer base… but one must wonder if they are simply ploys in their larger damage control scheme or lasting additions to the brand, which leads me to my next point: What does this mean for the previously-contracted Angels, especially those most recently contracted (Barbara Palvin, Alexina Graham, Leomie Anderson, Grace Elizabeth)? Will we never hear a word from them in association with the brand again? The only Angel I can recall recently having worked with VS is Taylor Hill…

Regardless, although a step towards the right direction in the face of PR, in the long run, as the majestic, sexy allure once connected with VS continues to be overpowered by a growing demand for inclusivity & accessibility (rather than equally balanced), I don’t see their sales continuing to increase, and, in that case, what other moves are there left to make?

VS has done reasonably well through the pandemic - despite the closures of stores. I think the customer base is stable - after all what are the alternatives? A lot of the newer DTC brands that position themselves as competitors to VS aren't even profitable or employ dubious methods of advertising themselves by smearing VS and by extension their customers.

Looks like VS is also repositioning some of their beauty body care products as well as more "natural". The scents and packaging seem less treacly.

I think they've made good choices with the VS collective ambassadors.

VS has two stores in India - both are at airports. By hiring Chopra they could expand the brand in India.

Grace still has her mother's day campaign, but the rest I guess will be left to the dust. Leomie I think will do fine, considering from the moment she was sign she literally wasn't in any of their campaign onwards. I am concerned for Alexina though, I don't really get why this girl doesn't get more high profile bookings, she's so good and almost up there with Grace.

I think this move is perhaps damage control, which I mean I guess to me isn't really a criticism, I think its good if they want to correct things. I do feel like they saw the sales numbers an decided, lets take this a lot further to the point to me. It feels really ridiculous and a confusing move, and some of the people they have signed are unsavory people.

I also think the move has a lot to do with podcasting revenue. The advertising potential for a VS podcast is tremendous.

VS has done reasonably well through the pandemic - despite the closures of stores. I think the customer base is stable - after all what are the alternatives? A lot of the newer DTC brands that position themselves as competitors to VS aren't even profitable or employ dubious methods of advertising themselves by smearing VS and by extension their customers.

This seems incredibly optimistic and it's also the exact opposite of what I've read. There are a ton of other options out there besides VS! When VS came for other brands publicly, those brands responded publicly... seems like fair play to me. And VS isn't doing well financially:

This February, Wexner, at 82 years old, the longest-serving chief executive in the S&P 500, stepped down as the head of his company. Around the same time, he attempted to sell a 55 percent stake in Victoria’s Secret to a private equity firm called Sycamore Partners. At a valuation of $1.1 billion, the sale price implied that Victoria’s Secret was worth only a fraction of what it had been just a few years before. But even with that discount, the sale fell through when the buyer got cold feet amid grave concerns about the pandemic’s effects on the business. Victoria’s Secret recently disclosed that its sales were down almost 50 percent, and it announced that it would permanently close about a quarter of its North American stores. It’s the bleakest financial moment in the company’s history.
[slate.com]

With this move, it appears VS still doesn't understand their customers and instead are trying to bite into market shares captured by other brands like Fenty. The brand started dying when they shifted focus almost entirely onto tweens, people who did not have the budget to buy the product and are too fickle to develop any brand loyalty. Their models choices were the most questionable, moving from an angel lineup of women like Gisele, Karolina, Tyra, Stephanie etc who were really mature and who could appeal to the established/coming-into-their-own women who earned money but who also wanted to feel sexy. Instead they had teenagers blowing air kisses and making Ed Razek feel like he's the man.

With this move, it appears VS still doesn't understand their customers and instead are trying to bite into market shares captured by other brands like Fenty. The brand started dying when they shifted focus almost entirely onto tweens, people who did not have the budget to buy the product and are too fickle to develop any brand loyalty. Their models choices were the most questionable, moving from an angel lineup of women like Gisele, Karolina, Tyra, Stephanie etc who were really mature and who could appeal to the established/coming-into-their-own women who earned money but who also wanted to feel sexy. Instead they had teenagers blowing air kisses and making Ed Razek feel like he's the man.
I would argue Fenty bit into VS's market by playing VS at its own game. In my view there isnt a whole different at least in the general sense from how Fenty markets and how VS used to market. In the long run I dont think any of this will work out. No other lingerie brand is doing this.

The last part of the teen thing is major Epstein vibes.

At the end of the day, this is a "fast fashion" brand. Consumerism is never going to empower women lol. Come on now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AprilL
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->