Vintage Magazine Discussion Thread

There's not a vintage mag specific thread so I thought I'd just ask here where the regulars would most likely see this...

Would it be interesting, helpful to create theme-based threads for fashion editorials?

Like Masculin Femin, Cross-cultural, The Sounds of Fashion, Get Sporty etc. Whatever else you guys think helpful and fun!

How about making this discussion thread Private?

Perhaps people will speak, share more freely about their magazine resource discoveries, vintage magazine finds and insights?

Now that this thread won't get lost in the shuffle, can we exchange ideas and create excitement in these parts?

Gallagher’s Paper Collectibles Re-Opens in New York

The shop at 12 Mercer Street will offer a small sliver of Gallagher’s fashion archives, with the rest available by special order | By David Lipke on March 19th 2012

NEW YORK — When the legendary Gallagher’s Paper Collectibles shuttered its East Village doors in 2008 due to escalating rents, founder Michael Gallagher semiretired to the Catskills with his million-plus library of vintage fashion magazines, books and photography prints. He stored his unparalleled collection of Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Town & Country, Flair and more arcane titles — some dating back to the 1860s — on a property he dubbed Fashion Farm in Greenville, N.Y.

Now Gallagher’s is back, reopening today in a sleek new space at 12 Mercer Street. The shop will offer a small sliver of Gallagher’s archives, with the rest available by special order. The space is located adjacent to the offices of VFiles, an online social networking site launching in April that is a partnership between V magazine and former V executive editor Julie Anne Quay.

“We are in the middle of building VFiles and we were looking for incredible content and Mike has the biggest collection anywhere of fashion magazines and photographs and paraphernalia,” said Quay. VFiles brokered a deal to incorporate Gallagher’s material onto the new digital site, as well as open the retail space, which revives a New York institution.

Gallagher’s first opened in the late Eighties and became known for drawing the cream of the fashion world to its basement bunker. Steven Meisel, Anna Sui, John Galliano and Donna Karan were regular customers. As his reputation grew, Gallagher curated entire fashion libraries of magazines and books for the likes of Karl Lagerfeld and Marc Jacobs. He recalled Catherine Deneuve sitting among his aisles, perusing old titles.

Along the way, Gallagher — a sociable former child actor and model — befriended many in the fashion world. The late New York Times fashion editor and Old Navy pitchwoman Carrie Donovan bequeathed much of her library to him, as did Costume Institute curator Richard Martin. He was close to Richard Avedon, Francesco Scavullo and Henri Cartier-Bresson, who gave him reign to dig through their basements and archives.

“I met everybody. It was a family. There were only, like, 200 people working in fashion back then,” recalled Gallagher, who buys continuously at flea markets, estate sales and online.

In the light, airy new shop on Mercer Street, there are neat stacks of the usual suspects like international editions of Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar from various decades, as well as specialty titles such as Versace: The Magazine, Wet and Actuel. There are also old issues of Spy and a curious magazine called Teens’ and Boys’ Outfitters, which dates to 1968.

An 1865 issue of Harper’s Bazaar, in newspaper format, can be had for about $100. “They’re actually not that rare. What’s rare is the Twenties and the Art Deco years,” explained Gallagher, adding that eBay and the Internet have driven up prices. “Now there’s vicious, vicious competition. Fashion really sells.”

Gallagher’s offers a rotating selection from a 1 million-volume library | John Aquino
25j0NQjl.jpg

Julie Anne Quay and Michael Gallagher | John Aquino
SjbW6Oul.jpg

This story first appeared in the March 19, 2012 issue of WWD.

I'm visiting London this weekend. Are there any must see vintage magazine shops I should checkout?

"Glossy Guru"
Harper's Bazaar September 2000
Writer: James Servin

"At magazine maestro Michael Gallagher's hot shop, browsers plot the fashion future."

I dearly miss these kind of insightful features by passionate writers about passionate fashion devotees.
Even inspiration sourcing was serendipitous yet personal. And tied to community and personal connections.

my snap

Last edited:
Does anyone know the mastermind behind Pleasure Photo website? Fashion industry insiders?

The photos are HQ although I do wonder about the image sources. For instance why do their VOGUE images have watermarks?

What are your thoughts on sites like Pleasure Photo or The Red List?

As for US Vogue single images they are from vogue.com most of the time. It was easy to get HQs when they posted articles something like "20 years of Ralph Lauren in Vogue" with a gallery from archives.

Interesting. The watermarks always looked wonky to me like fan-made rather than official. Some of the photos esp pre '60s imagery is often new to me. The rest of the stuff is old news and in terms of timeliness strikes me as reactionary. My eyes thirst for the new inspiration esp since most of what's circulating on social media is regurgitated over, and over and over. It's a strange feedback loop which I can't unsee and I find nauseating after a while. I'm not looking for a dissertation but sharing WHY these images are meaningful to the person adds a much needed human element.

I've yet to find a site which consistently posts original content that's not already been liked, re-pinned, tumblered, a million times over. I guess that's simply the nature of the social media beast. However, I've come across a handful of long-time fashion mag enthusiasts who at least post their own scans or snaps.

Apart from say Ready Set Fashion who's blog I followed religiously back during my ellastica.blogspot days, I'm also a fan of The Rise & Shine Blog. I attempted to recruit Ann but we never linked up at the same time. No recent posts since 2016 but lovely nonetheless. Perhaps trivial to some but I enjoy reading the voice and motivations behind the images. Here's what she had to say about it.

ABOUT

Hi my name is Ann, I am a womenswear fashion designer, and have spent the past 20 years designing clothes for a large chunk of the uk high street. So, there is a pretty good chance you may have worn one of my creations.

My blog has come about because I have a massive archive of old magazines, mainly from the 1990’s onwards that I cannot bare to part with. I blame an old tutor of mine, he had an archive from the 70’s and 80’s that I helped move for him, when I saw it I realized that I could no longer rip up my mags to create mood boards for my work and that i needed to preserve my favourites.

Through college and several house moves along the way I have managed to keep my magazines with me.However, renovations and an expanding family means we are running out of space, so some of them just have to go.This is my way of saying goodbye, and sharing the images I have loved along the way.

The imagery that has inspired me through my creative career. The imagery I select, will also be linked to things that I am currently inspired by. I have always been intrigued by trend, how things bubble up and become an influence, so I also want to share my current inspirations and fashionable thoughts along the way.

One of the best parts of my day job is inspiring others, so hopefully by sharing my thoughts and ideas i will start inspiring you, my readers as well. So lets start with dusting down these magazines. i hope you enjoy sharing this with me, do let me know.

thanks,
Ann

This is one of my favorite editorials of hers. In this issue of British Marie Claire Febrary 1996 Helmut Newton documents the adventurous and uber stylish male mavericks of British fashion. Glimpses of fashion people cross-dressing in their own threads, taking risks and having fun!

source | riseandshineblog

what Ann said:

as the rummaging continues i found this gem in the february 1996 marie claire photography by helmut newton
so in honour of london fashion week, i am posting this.

what a fabulous idea, would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the idea was pitched to each of them, and seeing their reactions

i loved seeing paul smith wearing his collection, and he was very front of mind, as earlier this week i was reading an article on his views and thoughts on the crazy fashion calender and what he plans to do to streamline and consolidate his buisness

a very young looking philip treacy, what an amazing career he has had ( we studied together back in the day, it was evident he had a great future ahead of him, talent, focus and incredible gaelic charm). He has created some mind blowing head wear for such a broad spectrum of clients illustrating, how you can take any creative concept and make it relevant for your client and collaborated with some greats

galliano, the genius i was very fortunate to have him mentor me during my final collection, he encouraged me to push my ideas further, not hold back on any of them. i helped out during fashion week along with large numbers of other fashion students just thankfull to be exposed to the wonderfullness that was going on around us
at somepoint in this declutter i hope to come across a set of beautifull posters given to me at the time, yes i do run the risk of becoming a crazy horder/bag lady but they are here somewhere, and when found i will happily share

i dont have stories about all of them, but who didnt own a pair of joseph trousers in the nineties? or lust after a pair at least. or one of the amazing sweaters

the joseph store at brompton cross was nirvana, and i used to pilgrimage there almost every week, dreaming that one day i would be in a position to buy more than just look at the stuff
looking at this selection, each and everyone of them still pretty much an icon of british style, and still contributing.

The equally riveting gang of equally dapper female Designers is here.

source | theriseandshineblog.wordpress.com

robinderrick

Thirty years ago, at the age of 24, I left my job as art director of 'The Face' magazine and moved to Milan to work with the incredible Carla Sozzani and the amazing team she had assembled to launch Italian ELLE first issue - October 1987 - We thought we could change the world - it certainly changed my life - #whenprintmattered Repost from @carlasozzani “Italian ELLE. 30 years anniversary. Video by @la_decaminada of the first three issues : October-November-December 1987, Art direction by Robin Derrick, Claudio Dell'Olio, Daniele Basilico.

A Page Out of History

By Cathy Horyn
AUG. 28, 2005

When writers reach for superlatives to describe 10 Corso Como, the Milan boutique-bookstore-gallery-café that Carla Sozzani opened in 1991, they usually compare it to a fashion magazine. Like a well-edited publication, Corso Como is organized around a belief that its patrons, many of them editors, are not so much buying the latest Prada or Comme des Garçons as they are Sozzani's point of view about these collections. There is also something about the store's open design that keeps you engaged, moving from one insight to the next, as the visual narrative of a magazine layout does.

Sozzani was once an editor herself. For nine years, beginning in the late 1970's, she produced sister publications to Italian Vogue, like Vogue Bambini. She is also the sibling of Franca Sozzani, the editor of Italian Vogue, and these two connections are widely assumed to have influenced the style of Corso Como. But what few people know is that for eight months in 1987, Sozzani was the editor in chief of Italian Elle, an odd lacuna in her other careers as a muse (to Romeo Gigli) and retailer. Just three issues of Sozzani's Elle were produced, and they represent an aesthetic break in magazine publishing that was as rare in its beauty and influence as Anna Wintour's ten months at HG and even, perhaps, the more substantial Flair.

Certainly there was nothing in Italy that compared to the extreme stylishness of Sozzani's first issue, in October 1987, with a cover photo by Nick Knight showing Kirsten Owen in a green Claude Montana jacket and a red Benetton turtleneck, her face drenched in light. Inside were more Knight photographs, including a stark double-page image of a black-fringed shoe, as well as fashion spreads by Peter Lindbergh, Andrew Bettles and Paolo Roversi. In the front of the issue, tucked between a runway report and a beautifully displayed travel piece about Scandinavia, was an eight-page Bruce Weber portfolio on Georgia O'Keeffe. In fact, there would be nothing to compare Elle to until the following summer, when Franca Sozzani, who had been the editor of Lei, took over Italian Vogue and revamped it with the art director Fabien Baron. By then, Carla had turned her attention to Gigli's career, having been fired from Elle.

continued

Fashion magazines in the 80's tended to reflect the power not of editors and art directors but of the designers who advertised in them. Italian Vogue, for instance, under the editor Franco Sartori, used to run designer credits on its covers, and the inside spreads were so respectful of the fashion houses that they amounted to early infomercials. In the same way, Anthony Mazzola's Harper's Bazaar in the 80's, with its babelike models and "Fabulous Over 50!" cover lines, seemed to share little in common with the magazine that was produced by Carmel Snow and the art director Alexey Brodovitch, or later Nancy White and Marvin Israel. "The best writers, the best photographers" were all published in Harper's Bazaar, Richard Avedon once said. "And that was my dream, that was the pantheon."

Small wonder that many new photographers, like Knight and Bettles, surfaced in indie magazines like i-D and The Face. The Brodovitch ideal of a double-page spread where text and photograph were equal, set off by white space, had been supplanted in the 80's by compromise and clutter. Carla Sozzani alone didn't remove these barriers, but considering that Elle was a commercial magazine, then owned by Hachette and Rizzoli, it was an odd place to make a stand with photography, design and journalism that went beyond the confines of fashion.

In 1986, tired of her job at Condé Nast and already working with Gigli, Sozzani told Alexander Liberman, Condé Nast's editorial director, that she was jumping ship to Elle. He counteroffered with a job as editor at large for American Vogue. She stayed for four months and left for Elle. "It sounds really stupid to say this now, but all the magazines at that time, except for American Vogue, were only about fashion," she said in her office above Corso Como, crowded with books, art pieces by her boyfriend, Kris Ruhs, and an exceptional collection of photos. "There was nothing to read. The magazines were always like catalogs. I had this idea of doing something that was a cross between Vogue and the weekly Elle, where you would have the news and sophistication of fashion but also the information of a weekly." She smiled, folding her hands in the lap of her black skirt. "So the people at Hachette knew what I wanted to do. And they liked the idea because it was a new approach."

Among the first people she hired was Robin Derrick, then 23 and the art director of The Face, where Neville Brody had influenced a generation of graphic designers. Derrick had worked with Bettles and Knight and Juergen Teller. As he put it: "I had my kind of cool people from London, and Carla had the best of the old-school photographers, like Peter, Sarah Moon and Paolo Roversi. It was a great combination." He added: "We spent three years' worth of money on three issues. We spent a fortune."

Sozzani also brought in Steven Meisel and the stylist Brana Wolf; each had worked with her at Vogue Bambini. "She was very clear about Elle," Wolf said. "She wanted to make the most beautiful magazine in the world, and use the best photographers and visually do something very inspiring and not commercial. And that's probably why it lasted only three issues."

Although the first issue of Elle, at 368 pages, was thick with articles, including pieces about food and home design, Sozzani and Derrick had upped the ante where photography was concerned. And just as Brodovitch had done in the late 40's and 50's with Avedon and Lillian Bassman -- and Dennis Freedman would do at W -- they were using visual pioneers to express the changes in fashion, especially from French mavericks like Jean Paul Gaultier and Christian Lacroix. And, of course, Gigli. Sozzani thought her superiors were pleased with the first issue. "The trouble started later," she said, laughing. "Well, later, 15 days."

A group representing major Italian designers complained to the publishers that Sozzani was giving preferential treatment to foreign labels. They also saw a conflict in her involvement with Gigli. "I read the telegram," Derrick recalled. "Basically this group said that if the editorial direction of the magazine didn't change, they were going to withdraw their advertising."

Glenda Bailey, the editor of Harper's Bazaar, prizes her copies of Elle and believes that if the covers had been more commercial, Sozzani might have remained. "Inside, it was actually a very warm magazine," she said.

Derrick explained: "If there's an Elle brand, this wasn't it. It was a mass-market magazine designed like The Face and art-directed like Italian Vogue." Still, it was an exciting moment, and a turning point for Derrick, now the creative director of British Vogue. "She's as tough as old boots to work with," he said of Sozzani, noting that when she didn't like a layout, she would say to him, coyly, "You know, everyone likes this one better." He added with a laugh, "Then I realized she was walking directly from her office into mine, and there was no 'everybody."'

Sozzani, who would help bring Gigli to fame only to see their partnership end in a legal dispute, is seemingly sanguine over the Elle affair. Her firing, at least, had a perfect coda: "They wanted me to say that I had resigned. I said: 'No, absolutely, no. Fire me. I am not ashamed.' I said: 'Diana Vreeland was fired. I am proud to be fired.'

And they said, 'Who's she?"'
newyorktimes.com

robinderrick
:

Pages from Glenda Baileys copies of my Italian ELLE | Posted on Wednesday, November 16th 2011

Oh My God !!!, I just find out that the jalou archive was down. I’m so so sad, they are my must go website when I’m looking into vintage or old editorial spread

welcome Mathewthew!

the rash of magazine archive shutdowns in recent years breaks my heart. jalou, bwgreyscale, myfdb, and esp fashioniconography. I miss those teeny tiny magazine covers.

I wish justaguy, kelles and lylascans and Rosie(!) would come back.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm crazy about vintage fashion, from 50's all the way to 90's, particularly in handbags! Now, where do I find vintage-design bags from? I love something that was designed to have a vintage look that's also affordable. xx thanks!

Oh My God !!!, I just find out that the jalou archive was down. I’m so so sad, they are my must go website when I’m looking into vintage or old editorial spread

At least with bwgreyscale you can reach it with archive.org but with jalou it's useless, I regret not downloading those issues sooner

Hey everyone! I'm crazy about vintage fashion, from 50's all the way to 90's, particularly in handbags! Now, where do I find vintage-design bags from? I love something that was designed to have a vintage look that's also affordable. xx thanks!
Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

I copied your post and started a new thread in the Handbags forum ... where you are more likely to catch the eye of members who know about handbags. It's here: New Handbags with Vintage Style?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strigi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->