Vintage Magazine Discussion Thread

Does anyone know if Vfiles is coming back to its previous version? Is there any other site that has full issues of visionaire?

guys, does anyone have saved visionaire from Vfiles? i just realized they changed their site and all archive with Joe's magazine, A&F catalogs, V magazine, visionaire and so on is gone

Greetings,
I work in a German museum and for an exhibition about Simone de Beauvoir we are trying to find copy of US Vogue March 1947 where an article of her was published. So far I have not been able to find it and was wondering if you know where I could find it. I would be thankful for every help you could provide us.
Kind regards,

I've just realized that I have access to the Harper's Bazaar archives through the university I went to, I want to go down there and hunker down and look through some of the old issues. However, I also just realized that I have no idea what to look for in old Harper's Bazaar issues. What iconic editorials come from Bazaar, the two that pop into my head are the bubble one from the 1960s and the editorial with Dovima & the elephants by Avedon. There must be a ton more, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head. I want to go into the archive prepared.

What other editorials should I be looking for, specifically?

I would look on amazon for a list of books regarding the history of Bazaar - and then see if someone has done a 'flick-through' video on youtube to show the contents of any of these books, to see what catches your eye.

I've just realized that I have access to the Harper's Bazaar archives through the university I went to, I want to go down there and hunker down and look through some of the old issues. However, I also just realized that I have no idea what to look for in old Harper's Bazaar issues. What iconic editorials come from Bazaar, the two that pop into my head are the bubble one from the 1960s and the editorial with Dovima & the elephants by Avedon. There must be a ton more, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head. I want to go into the archive prepared.

I'm so jealous!! I've been hoping for access to the archive. Alas, I'm sooooo no longer in school. lol

I would start with the iconic September 1959 issue. It has an amazing story by Avedon w/Audrey Hepburn.

There's also so many issues from the 40s/50s with Diana Vreeland at the helm. And so many other issues with Avedon and Louise Dahl-Wolfe.

Enjoy @blueorchid !!

I'd definitely make sure to check out the incredible Tilberis era issues! If only for the visually stunning art direction of Fabien Baron. And share some with us :wink: Just kidding! But if I remember correctly from all the reasearch I did on the Bazaar Archive - and I did a lot - you should be able to view the Archive from your home, as long as you have a valid library card or your university database login info.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I just remembered I have a big Richard Avedon book... somewhere, so I will flip through that first, too.

But if I remember correctly from all the reasearch I did on the Bazaar Archive - and I did a lot - you should be able to view the Archive from your home, as long as you have a valid library card or your university database login info.

At the university I went to, because I'm not a student anymore I can't view it from home, lol. So I have to go down there and view it in person, unfortunately, but because I'm an alumni I get access to the good databases. I had some fun browsing the Women's Wear Daily archives not too long ago, which was so entertaining.

I should actually recommend that for anyone who loves fashion gossip, especially about dead fashion designers, the Women's Wear Daily archives are amazing. Especially their "Eye" and "Paris Eye" sections. I couldn't stop laughing at some of the goings on of the fashion world during that time. There are even little tidbits like Yves Saint Laurent and a certain "Roland Karl" (hmm... who could that be? lol, a young Lagerfeld, of course) driving nearly matching cars in 1959. :lol::lol::lol:

Some of the features were also interesting, you really get a sense of John Fairchild being the cattiest person in the fashion industry while he edited WWD. I loved it. And then when Andre Leon Talley was the Paris editor, his descriptions of those parties were absolutely nuts. It became a bit more sedate after Patrick McCarthy replaced ALT as the Paris editor, but still good.

Last edited:
@blueorchid: Let’s round up a team and attempt an “American Animals” heist.

(I had all the Liz/Fabien issues up to the September issue with Lauryn Hill. When I moved away, my mum threw them out— along with my L’UOMOs… Thank goodness some issues did escape her eradication since they were in a box she missed, including the legendary 1992 September issue.)

Oh my god, @Phuel that sounds like nightmare. I'm always afraid of my mother getting rid of all my magazines that are in my teenage bedroom, still. I mean, ok, some she could probably toss and I wouldn't notice (Glenda's Bazaar years, for example). :innocent:

I think I have to be careful while going through the Harper's Bazaar archives, because ProQuest thought I was a bot at one point while searching the Women's Wear Daily archive!! :lol: I can't help it if I'm a good researcher who knows what I want. But now I have a beautiful collection of some hilarious WWD articles to make me laugh whenever I need it.

I really couldn't resist saving things like this...

Capture.JPG

WWD Archives

LOL @ “He is just a German designer…” The flippant, dismissive snobbery and casual discrimination! …Good for Karl for being bigger than YSL ever could be when he took the Chanel reigns and remained so until his last day.

See, I don't even trust myself to actually look at the Harper's Bazaar archives the next time I go down to the university library. I'll probably just spend the day reading bitchy articles on WWD again!! :ermm:

I should actually recommend that for anyone who loves fashion gossip, especially about dead fashion designers, the Women's Wear Daily archives are amazing. Especially their "Eye" and "Paris Eye" sections. I couldn't stop laughing at some of the goings on of the fashion world during that time. There are even little tidbits like Yves Saint Laurent and a certain "Roland Karl" (hmm... who could that be? lol, a young Lagerfeld, of course) driving nearly matching cars in 1959. :lol::lol::lol:

Some of the features were also interesting, you really get a sense of John Fairchild being the cattiest person in the fashion industry while he edited WWD. I loved it. And then when Andre Leon Talley was the Paris editor, his descriptions of those parties were absolutely nuts. It became a bit more sedate after Patrick McCarthy replaced ALT as the Paris editor, but still good.
I think when W first launched, they still had some of that, as Piek Lin would say, "snoshy" attitude about them from their WWD days. Was hilarious to read.

@justaguy It has me wondering who controls the W archives, now I wonder. They would be a treat to see online! It's probably a mess because they've gone through Fairchild Media, Conde Nast, whoever owns W now. Such a shame.

@justaguy It has me wondering who controls the W archives, now I wonder. They would be a treat to see online! It's probably a mess because they've gone through Fairchild Media, Conde Nast, whoever owns W now. Such a shame.
Good questions, I thought it was managed un the Conde Nast umbrella, but really not sure. I would love to see W magazine online! Their early 90s issues were exceptional. Large newspaper format and in full color.

I'm finally at the university library (with all the other crazy people who visit the university library mid-day during the spring/summer semesters lol), and vintage Harper's Bazaar is truly a treat.

It's such an interesting magazine to browse. First of all, I didn't realize this but it's actually a lot funnier to read than old issues of Vogue (which do have some neat articles now and then). It seems as though the magazine didn't take itself *as seriously* as Vogue, which is kind of charming. For example, I'm scrolling through the October 1968 issue now and these are their articles: "Who's Who Among the Occult?", "Sex, Symbols, and La Participation Mystique," "The Cult of the Great Goddess," with editorials entitled: "The Parapsychology of Beauty" and "The Sorcery of the Late-Late Dress." I love this!!! It's so amusing!! :lol: You can definitely sense the different audiences the magazines (sort of) catered to, despite a big over-lap I'm sure.

It's a shame that Harper's Bazaar became... what it is now and that they rarely acknowledge their archives!!!

I can't believe L'Officiel took their archive down?! I was so looking forward to revisiting. That's really sad. And now i learn Harpers Bazaar has their archive up, but at last, im not a student. Bad day for me.

I can't believe L'Officiel took their archive down?! I was so looking forward to revisiting. That's really sad. And now i learn Harpers Bazaar has their archive up, but at last, im not a student. Bad day for me.

If you're an American citizen there's several public libraries that offer access. I believe I once found that it's available in London as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strigi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->