Vogue Girl Australia

Little Star said:
I'll have to work on getting my scanner working to show you examples...

Awesome! We all look forward to it. <g> :flower:

As for A Vogue not quite knowing what to do with itself... Vogue in general is having a sort of identity crisis. They recently killed some of their Latin American publications, leaving them with the flagship Mexico and that's it... I wonder if it's better for these Vogue feeler magazines to try to stay afloat, or just cede to other more dominant, homegrown products?

Oyster magazine

Some pictures from Oyster, pulled from ^ link... :smile: Do the models look different?

Attachments

• Beau Grealy - Enter Miss Velasquez.jpg
    Beau Grealy - Enter Miss Velasquez.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 5
  • Ben Watts - Joy to the world.jpg
    Ben Watts - Joy to the world.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Paul Empson - She's a rainbow.jpg
    Paul Empson - She's a rainbow.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Victor Costales - Friends are electric.jpg
    Victor Costales - Friends are electric.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 6
I do enjoy Oyster mag, I find it really interested. The only prob is that it costs £10 over here in London as it has to be shipped. I have to be having a good week to buy one! :cry:

im excited bout vogue girl...
i dont think there's a proper good mag which targets that age group~
dolly girlfriend is more for 12-14yo i think
and then it jumps into the cosmo cleo category
and harper vogue are on whole different dimension in terms of the contents etc

i don't understand how this will be different than teen vogue...:huh:

czilla said:
Some pictures from Oyster, pulled from ^ link... :smile: Do the models look different?

I doubt many (if any) of the models in Oyster are Australian. The teams who shoot for Oyster can be anywhere in the world and send the stories in, so are generally shot London, Paris, NY etc.

:blush: sorry for going off-topic.

^ Well, for one, the first model in the Oyster shots definitely isn't Aussie - she's Patricia Velazquez and she's from South America! haha.

On a Vogue Girl note - the cover went to Gemma. :smile:

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why it's VogueGirl in Australia and Korea and Teen Vogue everywhere else..

Stilista -- you're a doll. ^^ Thanks for the info, I never would have known otherwise! I just pulled the observation about Australian models being slightly more buff and athletic from the culture and aesthetics thread.. It would have been interesting if it were true, but I guess standards are mostly the same worldwide...

Yeah, i saw that on the Gemma thread too, Misako. ^^ Can't wait to see it. Wish this gossip bit about the magazine came with a picture, but alas.

czilla said:
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why it's VogueGirl in Australia and Korea and Teen Vogue everywhere else..

Stilista -- you're a doll. ^^ Thanks for the info, I never would have known otherwise! I just pulled the observation about Australian models being slightly more buff and athletic from the culture and aesthetics thread.. It would have been interesting if it were true, but I guess standards are mostly the same worldwide...

You're welcome czilla! :flower: Most of the stories published in Oyster are unpaid submissions, so they accept stuff from photographers worldwide, but I too imagine Australian models would be more athletic and healthier looking - more beach babe, but I reckon high fashion and catwalk standards have to be the same worldwide. :huh:

softgrey said:
That's what I don't understand either, what's the difference between Teen Vogue and Vogue Girl?

cover
VogueGirl20405175619%2Ejpg
:ninja:

Horrible cover of Gemma. My guess is that they couldn't book Gem for an actual cover shoot and so they are using a backstage pic (Caroline Herrara S/S 05)

95% of the content is the same as Teen Vogue. The editorials are originals but shot in the same style as Teen Vogue (Paul Empson shooting in the style of Daniel Gabbay, David Mandelberg like Raymond Meier).

Maybe it'll get better. Probably not.

softgrey said:
To answer your question bluntly, it's not.

However, I like it that way! I bought this mag yesterday and while I think some aspects can be improved, overall it's a publication the Australian market is crying out for. The crucial difference to teen vogue is that much of the content is actually Australian and there is quite a big focus on Australian designers - which I love. :heart: The editorials are also home-grown (for the moment, I wonder how much time it will take for the US edits to seep through), along with the models that feature in them. Teen vogue covers a different season and many of the clothes cannot be purchased here readily. The articles that talk about the education system or laws in the US are obviously not as relevant to an Australian audience as they would be to people living in the US. Teen vogue is also only available at a newsagency, where there are fairly limited copies, while Vogue Girl is being actively promoted. Where US teen vogue is purchased only by girls with some level of knowledge about magazines being produced overseas, Vogue girl will be accessable to anyone who passes it by on the shelf. I think Kristie (Clements, editor of Australian Vogue and Vogue Girl) and her team did a good job for a first issue of a new magazine.
Overall, the fashion part of the magazine was great. The arts section, just as in teen vogue, is lacking. Some of the articles were directly transfered from teen vogue, along with many concepts, such as 'my room' or whatever that section is named. I wasn't happy with the cover at first, especially the fact that it is so covered by text. Then I realised that why those who have an active interest in magazines and the fashion world may think great amounts of text and numbers (US HB is a repeat offender 1534739+ outfits to choose from!!!) is tacky, this magazine really has to shift copies, especially in the smaller Australian market. I also thought the photo of Gemma wasn't very exciting. However, she looks fresh, radiant and like a happy 17 year old who has fallen into this career where she has all these amazing opportunities to get a head-start in life, yet loves coming back to Perth and chilling with her friends. At the core of it, I think that's more of the message the magazine was aiming for. Vogue Girl isn't edgy and it is trying to emulate it's US counterpart, but boy is it a much-needed improvement on the rest of the mainstream teen offerings in this country.

Hmmm... well that was much more essay-like than I originally intended. :lol: I'm in study-mode today. NB: I'm an Australian teenager. :flower:

In regards to Australian models, I don't find there is much of a difference. There probably is more focus put on looking healthy, especially because so much of what we are famous for (i.e. bikinis and Bondi) revolves around looking fit and tanned. Yet if you look at our biggest export of the moment, Gemma, you will see that Australian models are not all Elle McPherson clones. B) I think there are some really great youth-geared magazines from Australia at the moment. Yen, frankie, Russh and Oyster are all ace!:woot:

oh :cry: please don't dis aus Vogue..I live for that I really love it.

Vogue girl was good, but it only comes out 4 times a year and teenvogue comes out 6 i think..and its MUCH THICKER than voguegirl. that was my only disapointment.

I HATE dolly and girlfriend and im 14 i've hated them since i was about 13 and a half argh!!! its all boy boy boys and tacky fashion:sick:

i loved the models they used and the article on gemma was gorgeous

but the cover was silly they could've at least booked her for an actual shoot like someone said before

acester said:
oh :cry: please don't dis aus Vogue..I live for that I really love it.

Vogue girl was good, but it only comes out 4 times a year and teenvogue comes out 6 i think..and its MUCH THICKER than voguegirl. that was my only disapointment.

I HATE dolly and girlfriend and im 14 i've hated them since i was about 13 and a half argh!!! its all boy boy boys and tacky fashion:sick:

i loved the models they used and the article on gemma was gorgeous

but the cover was silly they could've at least booked her for an actual shoot like someone said before

It only comes out 4 times a year but its also very cheap subsciption :P a measly $15!

i really like it! its different from the other teenagers magazines available in Australia
some pages from Vogue Girl for those who are interested :flower:
VG06.jpg

8f92cc2d.jpg
2d2dac4a.jpg
37c58051.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katerinadimitriou
Back