What His Shoes Really Say

model_mom

Reaction score
Getting to know the guy who has asked you out can be tricky. One potential resource? This expert feels you can get personality clues but looking at what he's got on his feet!
By Chelsea Kaplan

Decoding your date's behavior is a tricky task. Does he like you? Is he in it for the long haul? Is he still hung up on his ex? Who knows?

If you need a clue as to whether he's really into you or what kind of partner he could be, your answers may be right at your — or his — feet, says Donna Sozio, author of Never Trust A Man in Alligator Loafers: What His Shoes Really Say About His True Love Potential. "The shoes a man wears and the way that he treats them are fail-safe indicators of not only his romantic personality, but also how he'll treat his woman," she asserts. For some insight into what your guy's shoes say about his true character and relationship style, check out Sozio's guide, below:

If he's wearing alligator loafers…
What would you naturally do if an alligator came towards you when you were on a date? Take that response and apply it to how you should approach this guy, says Sozio. "Alligators are opportunistic eaters; they crouch down until their victim isn't looking, and then they pounce, and so will a guy wearing alligator shoes," she warns. These guys are dangerous, so pay attention when you're with them, Sozio recommends. "Be on high alert around these guys," she advises. "Because they tend to be sneaky and secretive."

If he's wearing hiking boots…
Sozio says that a man who wears Timberland hiking boots on a date when dinner — not an outdoorsy activity — is the type of person who wants to feel like he could be on a mountain in eight seconds if he wanted to, regardless of where he was. "This guy is someone who is impulsively adventurous, so he's looking for a woman who won't make him feel restrained," she explains. "As long as you don't make him feel tied down, he will be a loyal partner."

If he's wearing high-end designer shoes…
Guys who sport this season's Gucci driving moccasins and Prada boots may very well be what Sozio calls "collectors." "This type of guy not only collects name-brand shoes, but also name-brand, 'trophy'-esque women, too," she explains. Because these men likely see women as boast-worthy accessories and not real people, Sozio notes that they most likely won't spend the time or effort required for nurturing a relationship.

If he's wearing men's sandals…
Unless you live by the beach, Sozio remarks that a man who wears men's sandals — commonly referred to as "mandals" — is confused. "This guy is caught somewhere between being Mr. Laid-back Surfer Dude and Mr. Corporate America," she explains. "He wants to be open and free, but doesn't quite know how to do so." In many ways, this man is not where he wants to be, she says, so be careful of becoming his transitional or in-between girlfriend.

If he's wearing trendy sneakers…
A man who rocks a colorful pair of Adidas is someone who prides himself on being well put-together, urban and cool, says Sozio. "Even if he pairs these sneakers with a blazer, this guy wants you to know he likes to keep things casual," she asserts. This man is a creative, independent thinker, which Sozio cautions may mean that he will be hard to pin down. "If you're interested in impressing this guy, create an atmosphere where he can be in a relationship with you, yet feel independent at the same time," she advises.

If he's wearing suede bucks…
When evaluating a man wearing these preppy classics, you must first consider his age. "These are 'old man' shoes," explains Sozio. "If a young guy is wearing them, it likely indicates that he's sort of an old guy at heart; he'll be somewhat conservative and perhaps a little stodgy, never deviating from what traditional society wants him to do." If he's an older man donning these reliable mainstays, however, this could be a simple sign that's he's a solid, dependable man who would make a loyal partner.

If he's wearing a worn-out pair of sneakers…
A guy who shows up for a date wearing a disheveled pair of sneakers shows no respect for himself or you, Sozio says. "You have to wonder how a guy who doesn't care enough to present himself well at a first meeting will treat you as you continue to get to know him," she cautions. "Don't think this guy is simply trying to be casually cool—casually cool can come in the form of spiffy, well-maintained athletic shoes," she notes. "A man who picks you up wearing ratty footwear isn't interested in showing you his best or the respect you deserve." Next!

Chelsea Kaplan's blog, The Momtourage, can be found at themomtourage.com.

MSN/lifestyles.com

Some interesting observations here :wink: I too do not like to see men in sandals, worn-out sneakers, or anything that screams 'designer' ... Sandals with socks and those hybrid hiking shoe/sandals are even worse :innocent:

If he's wearing trendy sneakers…
A man who rocks a colorful pair of Adidas is someone who prides himself on being well put-together, urban and cool, says Sozio. "Even if he pairs these sneakers with a blazer, this guy wants you to know he likes to keep things casual," she asserts. This man is a creative, independent thinker, which Sozio cautions may mean that he will be hard to pin down. "If you're interested in impressing this guy, create an atmosphere where he can be in a relationship with you, yet feel independent at the same time," she advises.

that's me!

Seems like most of these are really negative towards men ! :P

sooooo.... according to this, the only suitable footwear would be well maintained sneakers.

:/

the Maitre D' won't like that....

I better not spend too much money on shoes, otherwise it'll be very likely that I objectify women!!!

I have read that Donald Rumsfeld wore suede bucks ... make of that what you will :lol:

I'd fit the description of a "collector".
I'm sure I'd be awful if I did human relationships.

I'm only the above because there isn't an "If he wears mock-croc steel-heeled cowboy boots he is . . ." option.

Around here all men wear the same shoes - uber-scruffy trainers.
Except that skinny guy in the black blazer who wears those black Fly shoes that I want so badly . . :heart:

BS

My hubby is very predicable - 99% of his shoes are black pradas.
However while I think I'm a catch :P .. he's not into 'boast-worthy accessories' eg trophy wives and he is quiet nurturing both in terms of our relationship and our daughter.

^ I guess the distinction that needs to be made is, is he wearing those designer shoes because he has refined taste, or because his ego needs the label? It sounds like your husband is the former, and the type referred to in the article is the latter ...

I remember in the back page of Allure where this journalist always asks silly questions, he once asked, "What do you notice first when you meet someone?" The actor Billy Bob Thornton replied that he looks at shoes, that when a person's shoes are either worn-out or somewhat dirty, it generally says good things about them.

And I've noticed that the kindest people I've met usually had rather trodden shoes, no matter how polished the rest of their style was. It's interesting, I guess it's something to ponder on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->