Where have all the good girls gone?

Retro

Reaction score
Where have all the good girls gone?
By Michelle Malkin
Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Several years ago, I wrote a column praising a sweet and talented Welsh girl named Charlotte Church. A singer of arias and sacred songs, she possessed an uncommon sense of modesty and decorum in the skin-baring age of Britney Spears. Charlotte had the face and voice of an angel. Her signature piece was "Pie Jesu" (Blessed Jesus). Her favorite keepsake was a rosary blessed by the pope.

Or so she said at the time. Now, alas, the once-charming Charlotte is the new face of skankdom. And you won't believe what she's saying about the pope.

The 20-year-old entertainer has rebelled against the wholesome image that brought her fame, fortune and worldwide respect as a rare role model for young girls. She has traded in "Pie Jesu" for "Crazy Chick" -- a lousy pop anthem even Ashlee Simpson wouldn't be caught performing. Charlotte's gone from pure-hearted to pure crap. These days, she drinks, she smokes, she curses, she fights, she parties, and she tries very, very hard to shock and offend -- like a trashier Lindsay Lohan, only with better pipes.

Charlotte has a new talk show in England, where she plays a profanity-spewing hostess who is part Rosie O'Donnell, part Keith Olbermann (she has bashed President Bush as "clueless" and a "twat") and completely unhinged. The pilot episode featured Charlotte calling Pope Benedict XVI a Nazi, dressing as a nun and pretending to hallucinate while eating communion wafers imprinted with smiley faces (symbolizing the drug Ecstasy). The Catholic News Service reported last month that the pilot also showed Church smashing a statue of the Virgin Mary to reveal a can of fortified wine. To top off her anti-Catholic snit, she stuck chewing gum on a statue of the child Jesus.

The sketch was scrapped from the show's debut, but in the most recent episode aired last week, Church strapped herself to a cross, Madonna-wannabe-style. As one viewer complained in a message quoted by the Daily Mail: "This woman may have had the voice of an angel in the past but now she has the foul mouth of a sewer rat." Some observers saw this coming back in 2001, when she trashed New Yorkers at Ground Zero soon after the terrorist attacks: "Everyone there has to relate themselves to it. They are like 'Yeah, my neighbor's dogs' owners' sister's dog was involved, but he got out just in time. It was a bit sick. People overdramatise and lose perspective."

In response to our celebration of New York firefighters' heroism, the self-absorbed Church was quoted saying: "They went from here in society to celebrities. They are even invited here to present television awards, which I just don't agree with."

Because only half-naked, blaspheming pop tarts should be allowed on television, eh, Charlotte?

The corruption of Charlotte Church is a sorry little sign of how innocence and grace have lost their mass appeal -- even as parents claim to want age-appropriate role models for their daughters. A survey of 1,010 mothers with daughters 4 to 9 years old, released this week, reported that 90 percent of the moms "believe there are not enough wholesome role models, celebrities, characters and brands for young girls to emulate." Some 85 percent of those polled said they are "tired of the 'sexpot' dolls/characters" currently available.
They say that -- and yet, the doll market is clogged with best-selling Bratz babies in thongs and Barbies with bling.

The survey was commissioned by AG Properties, owners of the wholesome Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears and Holly Hobbie toy lines. Perhaps it's time for moms lamenting the skankification of their little girls' world to put their money where their mouths are.

Not that it's so easy. I confess I broke down and let my 6-year-old daughter have a Bratz lunchbox. Now she wants to be a Bratz doll for Halloween, an idea that warrants only one word (a word not said often enough:( "No." Charlotte's fall was not inevitable. But good girls need grown-ups to keep them from going out of style.

http://townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2006/09/27/where_have_all_the_good_girls_gone

Last edited by a moderator:
The pilot episode featured Charlotte calling Pope Benedict XVI a Nazi, dressing as a nun and pretending to hallucinate while eating communion wafers imprinted with smiley faces (symbolizing the drug Ecstasy). The Catholic News Service reported last month that the pilot also showed Church smashing a statue of the Virgin Mary to reveal a can of fortified wine. To top off her anti-Catholic snit, she stuck chewing gum on a statue of the child Jesus.

:shock: Good lord. They gave this girl a show?!
Apparently someone still has some 'growing up' to do :innocent:

It's all part of the "Keep Rebellion Safe" Initiative: let Charlotte show you how to be a good bad girl, lest you young ladies start getting any strange ideas of your own on how to really frighten your parents!

First of all, if you need to look to Hollywood for role models for your daughters, you are not a good parent. Second, Michelle Malkin is not a good role model or journalist! Shrill does nothing but add gas to an already out of control fire.

LOL....and I used to think she was boring....:lol:

it is sad though i hate that young girls wanna be hoochies, i like some raunchy crazy chics too to keep it real but i think thats mostly what you see and not a balance, but what did happen to "ladies", or if you are a lady now you are almost too perfect and fake with no substance and no real contribution to pop culture, there is no one of this generation i see so far with the grace or iconic stature of an audrey hepburn for example, too bad i still think to myself sometimes "what would audrey do???"... or if i'm naughty debbie harry heehee, but at least she conveyed intelligence, feminine power, and talent

Charlotte grew up from a young age in a very intensive industry. I think this article is pathetic because it does nothing to highlight what a smart funny and vivacious girl Charlotte is. Sure she makes mistakes but there are worse issues to be addressed and perhaps somebody who deserves to be 'slagged off' more. What a pathetic waste of journalistic space and what an embittered self righteous writer.

The fact is that parents should be the role models, not strangers with views that can get taken completely out of context.

I also don't mean to be snarky but if the British press had wanted to they could make Debbie Harry look like a complete idiotic sl*t. It's all the power of perception. They're merciless. I'm just lucky that I don't have to buy into all the crap about Charlotte because it's pretty obvious to me that she's a pretty smart girl who just got pushed into a difficult industry by a pushy mother at too young an age. Why should Charlotte have to be a role model for ANYONE. Intelligent youths shouldn't blindly follow a stranger's example. Unless of course it's Ghandi. Then I approve.

I think there are quite a few girls that are talented/respectable... they just don't get the same press, because people like stories.

Camilla Belle
Evan Rachel Wood
Nikki Reed
Danielle Penabaker
Ashley Tisdale
Brenda Song
Vanessa Anne Hudgens
Monique Coleman
Miley Cyrus
Emmy Rossum

Raven, however, is my favorite. I think that she really knows what she's doing, she's talented, and she's herself- none of which are evident in the socialites and hoochie mamas in Hollywood today.

^^ Thanks, Khatotic. I agree with the list...
So we still have some good girls left!

How very innappropriate Charlotte. :rolleyes: No respect for religious statues, people who died tragically in 2001 terror attacks......:angry: What gets me is that she said that those people turned into celebrities...so? Better than the idiotic celebrities like her tart self with diariah of the mouth. :yuk: And why does she have a talk show again? :blink:

I would love to sit her down and throw holy water on her, if she spits out pea soup we're in trouble for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any respect for the Pope ...then again I'm not famous so I don't have to worry about keeping my mouth shut.

i cannot believe this was even posted....i do not trust anything that woman michelle malkin writes...she is a racist idiot who believes internment camps for american muslims....anything she says or does is not worth looking at seriously

sugarpea said:
i cannot believe this was even posted....i do not trust anything that woman michelle malkin writes...she is a racist idiot who believes internment camps for american muslims....anything she says or does is not worth looking at seriously

by justifying the internment of Japanese Americans after Pearl Harbor!!! When the oppressed becomes the oppressor! (Malkin is not Japanese but she is a woman of color. The things that come out of her mouth are almost impossible to believe!)

Well, apparently she's not making the Charlotte stuff up :innocent:

Charlotte sparks one holy row Jul 16 2006

Marc Baker, Wales on Sunday
CHARLOTTE Church has sparked a holy row by dressing up as a drunk, drug-taking nun in her new chat show.
The Crazy Chick, who was raised as a Catholic, smashed a statue of The Virgin Mary and stubbed chewing gum out on the face of the baby Jesus in a shocking comedy sketch she recorded for last week's pilot of her Channel 4 TV debut.
And in a sensational swipe at the Royals, religious leaders and statesmen - to whom the Voice of an Angel sang as a child - Charlotte branded the Pope a "Nazi" and made jokes about The Queen, Princess Diana, Mother Teresa and Nelson Mandela.
Security was supposed to be tight as the 20-year-old recorded The All New Charlotte Church Show in London on Wednesday.
But Wales on Sunday sneaked into the 630-strong audience to catch her live and unleashed.
The multi-millionairess hopes to spark a Friday night ratings war with BBC One chat king Jonathan Ross if Channel 4 commissions a series.

But last night, Welsh religious leaders blasted Charlotte for dressing up as a nun in a sketch which saw her taking communion wafers in the shape of smiley face ecstasy tablets.

Naughty Sister Charlotte popped the pill-shaped biscuits after being offered them by ex-EastEnders bad boy Nick Cotton, played by actor John Altman.

His character, Sister Dave, said, "This s*** is good, want some?" before Charlotte replied, "Love it! I love nunning".

The pair then pretended to hallucinate before taking part in a chapel rave.

Charlotte - who sang to Pope John Paul II when she was 12 - also smashed open a statue of The Virgin Mary in the sketch to reveal a hidden can of Strongbow cider.

And in a cheeky nod to her binge-drinking days, Charlotte joked how she also worships Saint Fortified Wine and Saint Thunderbird, a brand of super-strength wine.

Last night, her naughty nun performance sparked outrage within the Catholic Church in Wales.

Reverend Edwin Regan, Bishop of the Wrexham Roman Catholic Diocese, said: "I would not want to give her any publicity if this is the kind of thing she is doing."

And in an aside to her blonde classical rival, he added: "I wish she had turned out the way Katherine Jenkins has."

Bosses at TV production firm Monkey Kingdom - which made Charlotte's chat show pilot - declined to comment.

A spokesman said: "We are saying nothing. This was a non-transmittable pilot which has yet to be delivered to Channel 4 who have yet to decide to commission a series."

But the show is sure to shock Charlotte's army of older fans if it is ever aired.

On Wednesday, hundreds of devotees turned up to sit in the audience at ITV1's studios, the home of GM:TV.

During the three-hour recording session - which saw Charlotte repeatedly fluff her lines and turn the air blue with bad language - the motormouth singer took a swipe at a host of celebs.

Cheered on by mum Maria and step-dad James, Charlotte branded Victoria 'Posh Spice' Beckham "thick as two short planks" and called Pirates of the Caribbean beauty Keira Knightley a "scrawny bird".

The audience's jaws also dropped as she ordered lookalikes of the Queen, Mother Teresa, the Pope and Nelson Mandela to be hosed down with water.

Alongside her guests, TV stars Davina McCall, Eamonn Holmes, Trisha Goddard, Corrie actress Sally Lindsay and This Morning host Fern Britton as guests, Charlotte looked terrified as the cameras rolled.

Admitting she was "sh***ing herself", she was cheered on by her "Cardiff posse" who made the trip to London in a coach.

Words of support also came from Maria, who shouted, "Mum's here!" while her Wales rugby star boyfriend Gavin Henson sat backstage throughout.

Before recording began, Charlotte apologised to her grandparents Edward and Maureen Cooper, saying there would be lots of swearing.

Last night, Channel 4 said no decision had been taken on whether to commission the show.
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_objectid=17393757&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=charlotte-sparks-one-holy-row-name_page.html#story_continue

You know what the media has to stop? Assuming that society are idiots, that because Charlotte Church is swearing a little and giving up on her religious singing that we as a society of young women are going to be somehow influenced by that negatively? Give us more credit.

As far as I can tell, Charlotte Church seems normal. She enjoys a few drinks, smokes, swears and has a sense of humour. Like most of the young women of today, is this so shocking? Are you telling me no one else thinks Victoria Beckham's daft or Keira Knightly is a bit of a bean pole? The only thing that's shocking to me is this woman's reactions. Michelle Malkin, writer of the article, is pleading for the return of 'innocence' (what is this anyway, wearing a frilly dress and not swearing in public?) and 'grace' (smoking your cigarettes from a holder instead?) and at the same contradicting herself by criticising the behaviour of others and being so up on her high horse she'll never come down. She's a real candidate for twit of the year. I love how she invented the word 'skankification', that's real class.

socieety is FULL of idiots... and parents don't CHOOSE role models for their children... the kids see this stuff and unless someone says otherwise .... they think it's OK.... it IS up to the ADULTS to draw the line and say...'this is NOT ok'... kids don't have the life experience to always know that for themselves... THAT is the point here....:wink:

the girl is 20 years old
just because you were religious when you were a 12 year old little girl doesn't mean you have to be religious forever
people change. and for all those ppl criticizing her drinking and drug taking and stuff, how many of them can swear they've never drank?
leave the poor girl alone
i don't condone the disrespect she shows for the nelson mandela, diana, etc BUT you can't expect ppl to be perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->