Who Will Succeed John Galliano At Dior? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lacroix for Dior!!!

Id KILL to see him back in the runways and doing couture!!! Thats an excellent ideaaaa!

(On a sadder note .. I immediately remember how Galliano left Givenchy to do Dior and then Lee took over ...I miss him).

maybe kris van assche will take over both sides of dior? he is the closest thing to the company, he has lots of experience in womenswear, and he stopped the womens kva line to work more on dior.

i highly doubt gareth will get it, it just seems like a lot of people will be shocked by that one.

The idea that John hardly designed for Dior anymore honestly doesn't surprise me, but I would hate to have the assistant take over.

Dior needs a major shake up. Considering all that has happened within the last few days, I imagine LVMH wouldn't want Dior to continue in the same direction in order to avoid any further associations with John Galliano.

I think the idea of Rodarte is rather exciting, to be honest. I feel like the house needs a new team that can stay for a good number of years. The last thing Dior needs is a Valentino-esque fiasco on their hands (which also makes me think Alessandra would be great for the job). Also, I cannot think of any other new-ish designer who has the capacity and individuality to give Dior a new, strong identity. The Mulleavy sisters have proven their versatility as of late, what with lower priced lines, more commercial collections, movie costumes, red-carpet gowns, etc. And imagine what they could do with Couture (considering their RTW is practically Couture as it is!). We may have come to associate them with all that is gothic, weird and avante garde recently, but let's not forget the elegance of their earlier collections like Spring/Summer 2007 and Fall/Winter 2007.

All in all, I'm sad to see that this is the way John had to go. I was ready for him to leave Dior for a good while now because all he was doing for the house was consistently tarnishing his once magnificent legacy...and this whole disaster has done nothing to help that deterioration of a once great talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
The show must go on, either way most of you will dislike who replaces Galliano.

jean-paul gaultier ? a friend just suggested this to me and it isnt that far-fetched imo, taking into consideration he just left hermes

Ha, it's not the first time JPG is included in some sort of list of possible Galliano successors - he was offered the Givenchy position before (after Galliano was moved to Dior) but said no. I don't think he would ever want to work under Arnault... and besides, Dior will most likely hire someone who is from a younger generation.

I don't have problems with Theyskens or Alexis Mabille actually. I'm just thrilled that finally there will be a new perspective at Dior soon.

Besides the fact that there's only one suitable candidate for the job; OLIVIER THYSKENS...

Im much more interested in what will happen to dear old John G.

Who will remain fashion friends with him? Kate Moss, Karlie Kloss? Pat McGrath? What will happen when the dust settles, I mean none of these fashion players can allow themselves to hang around in the stench that he created. There's gonna be some lonely times heading for Mr. Galliano. Fashion 'friendships' are hard to define anyway, one day you're in, and the next day you're out...

Somehow I think Dior has been really 'lucky' with this incident, Dior sales were tumbling and giving Galliano the sack the normal way would have caused a sh*tstorm. They were very quick with setting him aside a week ago and we all knew he was gonna get kicked out from there. Whatever happens, there's gonna be a chair-dance in Paris. Dior is not the only house seeing opportunities now. Watch closely how this will unfold. Think Hermes, think YSL and a couple more......

jean-paul gaultier ? a friend just suggested this to me and it isnt that far-fetched imo, taking into consideration he just left hermes
Jean-Paul Gaultier is my choice too, although I wonder if he wants to get into bed again with a corpration, especially a big conglomerate so soon after leaving Hermes. I see Gaultier as more of an interim guy - a couple of years give or take; I don't see him being there as long as Galliano was.

I also like the idea of Tisci going to Dior because Dior has become too girly and I think that Dior can benefit from Tisci's dark aesthetic. Furthermore, and I may be the only one who feels this way, but Givenchy is too dark these days and I would not mind someone coming in and putting a lighter and more feminine spin on Givenchy that channels Hubert de Givenchy's Givenchy, although I don't have a problem with Tisci continuing to do Givenchy's menswear.

Source = Fashionista site August 2010.

''Late August means acquisition time in luxury conglomerate land, so we’re not surprised to hear that LVMH has been chatting up Rodarte, as WWD reported this morning.

The article stressed that no deal has been made, but that LVMH is still very interested in the Los Angeles-based fashion label, which has yet to turn a profit.

[section on acquisition of Edun edited out]

So this latest news isn’t so surprising. There’s definitely room to grow Rodarte–the company brought in a measly $2 million in sales last year. But if acquired, we’re betting LVMH would attempt to find a place for the sisters at an established Parisian fashion house where they could make the behemoth some real money.''

Smoke and fire.

And choice timing for Arnault and his PR people just as Paris is about to open. The evening news will love a fallen from grace fashion scandal. Slightly risky perhaps to play publicity with a taint but hey eventually there's no such thing as bad publicity just publicity, right.

Let's hope John can return in some guise somewhere. This would not be a fitting end to his story.

I agree that the Mulleavy sisters would likely make excellent couture. I think Pugh would too but I don't think Bernard has been courting Gareth.

How about Stephan Rolland? His recent couture work has been amazing and he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Plus he certainly has an for drama.

^That's a GREAT idea! I think Gabriele Colangelo would do a great job, too...Maybe Jason Wu? He sure knows how to do eveningwear.

Anyway, I wanted to see John go, but not like this, you know...he was so great, and then, flunked. It's sad.

Never Jason Wu. I hope Dior will be handed to someone who knows how to do both extravagance and elegance and yes, do sth else other than New Look Lacroix screams brilliance to me
Id also love to see who will replace Karlie Kloss to be Dior's face. Not Muse please.

Am i the only one really not seeing how Gareth Pugh and Dior could work?

My vote goes for Haider Ackermann!
and while they are at it they can boot Kris Van Assche from Dior homme too!!

This is the best news ever if you are at Givenchy..... Dior has been a bore for a while i def think Oliver Thyskens would be a seemless transition... but i think Dior needs something fresh.

The seat of Galliano is still warm and you are finding a replace! :lol:

Am i the only one really not seeing how Gareth Pugh and Dior could work?

No, you're not ... that would be one of the most confusing and horrible moves possible. The Dior archives are too rich to be handled by someone that sticks such a strict design aesthetic as he does.

I would hate that so much.

Also, I do not like the idea of the Mulleavy sisters being at Dior too much, but who knows what that type of job could turn out of them. They would need to refine their ends for sure.

The best choice would be Lacroix for sure. Maybe with the right team, he could make pieces that are interesting, luxurious, and wearable ... but still have a little bit of him in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->