Would you change your style for someone else?

I tone it down for work a bit, of course, and my style has changed somewhat over the years, due to me giving up on a few bad choices and adopting a few other styles when they came available, but for a romantic relationship, I would not change my style.

For example, my husband has expressed the notion that he doesn't like brown, and that's all well and good, but brown is one of my good colors, and it is appropriate for work, so I wear brown clothes quite a bit, especially during the work week. He also likes when I wear skimpy clothing or tops which show my stomach, but that's not appropriate many places, so I rarely dress like that. I can make my husband happy in so many other ways, that the clothing issue seems so insignificant.

That said, I will dress up for him once in a while, just because it does really amuse him. Sometimes all you need is a skimpy top and a short skirt. Ya know? :D

Sometimes all you need is a skimpy top and a short skirt. Ya know? :D[/quote]

:rofl:

so good to see you:flower:

However much people say they won't change their style for others, I think that in reality, style is something that changes over time.

And sometimes, it changes because of others, whether we like to admit it or not.

I think that when people that they wouldn't change for others, this is probably either overly idealistic and unrealistic, stupidly hardheaded, or some sort of evasion.

I think most people that care about style and fashion are social beings in some way or other and care about the people around them and their interactions with the people around them

It would probably be just as accurate to say that style (of course) changes and that sometimes those changes (however subtle) are motivated by the influence of others, but people don't want others to push them around, tell them what to do and what to wear.

Very well put dietcoke.

I was also thinking that although i wouldn't change my style from somebody asking, external factors such as friends and city for instance have a big role to play in what determines your style.

Even though everyone loves to be an individual it is also very contradictory, as those same people will be the ones closely following the trends.

Also a little bit of constructive criticism never hurt anyone either. Even if you are a fashion guru an outsiders perspective sometimes can be put to good use.

zolloz said:
Also a little bit of constructive criticism never hurt anyone either. Even if you are a fashion guru an outsiders perspective sometimes can be put to good use.
I agree. Sometimes I might change something based on suggestions and other times, people might suggest something and I ignore their suggestions.

No I won't change my style for others...my parents have told me to tone down the way i dress (which I never understood, I'm not even wearing very outlandish clothing :huh:) to blend in more with the college crowd and thus making it easier for me to make friends...people here have told me to wear more color and stuff like that, but it's not me. I'd rather be wearing black clothes and walking down the street mean mugging :woot:

In the great words of Whitney, "Hell to the naw!"
I dress for me. If I liked their style of dressing I could add some pieces to my wardrobe mayyybe but changing it all for them..hah.

I will subtly change it e.g. my brothers hate my Ramones shirt, so I won't wear it if I know I'm going somewhere with them. I would never change my total style... like it or lump it. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter shouldn't mind.

-G.

Alejandro said:
I had to change my style for my bf.

Nine months ago, I used to dress completely different, as you might remember, I was the closest thing to a drag queen in this forum :lol: but lately I've learned on how to tone it down to a better look, but still keeping a cool edge to it, I don't know, I like it now...

i haven't changed my style for someone else, but this reminds me of me - the transition from over the top to classically cool, and i feel an itch to revisit the former. i think the great thing about dressing over the top is that it seems to reflect an absurdity about dressing up; you really cannot take yourself to seriously if you're risking offending people. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a complete clothes flake tbh. Of course I take strong views on what I want to wear and I always go with my instincts. But my instincts are also factored by several things:
1) What I doing? Work, unformal/informal
2) Where will I be going? Clothes practicalities?
3) Who will I be seeing? The crucial one that most people here have said they wouldn't change their style for but for me, I don't mind adapting to the people around me. If I'm going to see my grandparents, I won't wear anything UBER UBER outlandish...that's not to say I don't like the outfit I choose because I love everything I own. :blush:

Fortunately, I have by and large been allowed to go with whatever I feel like wearing. Even at work. So as yet, I don't feel like I've had to compromise my style negatively and I don't think I would....well, at least to the point of me actually looking at an outfit and saying 'Ick...can't believe I have to wear this!'

i could never change my style, not even if i wanted. i would be unable to wear certain items of clothing or some particular styles i detest. i am very stubborn, you see...

Sonny xxx

I've never traded my style for anyone, not because i've refused to it but because people actually find it funny and occasionally cute. :ninja: .
the way i dress is un-changeable but i'd definitely slow down a bit if say, i was going out with someone extremely conservative, i know the feeling of being embarrased with somebody else's clothes and i would never cause that to anyone. :P . not that i dress like a clown, anyway.

I don't have a strong personal style, I'm still searching for the perfect one to suit me..
But I would wear particular items of clothing if my significant other wanted me to - i.e a lacey dress, and so on. As long as it wasn't something I would feel uncomfortable in.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's sad....I have a friend who used to have a really cool and personal style, but since she's aquired a boyfriend he asked her to change how she dresses to suit his style more....and now all she wears are volcom and roxy brand clothes, and it's quite disgusting.

Gulp. I certainly would never treat my lady like that. If she isn't stylish, out the door she goes. well actually I wouldn't look at her in the 1st place :wink:

green.tea said:
it's sad....I have a friend who used to have a really cool and personal style, but since she's aquired a boyfriend he asked her to change how she dresses to suit his style more....and now all she wears are volcom and roxy brand clothes, and it's quite disgusting.

Wow that's really really sad.

Not my entire style.
By that I mean, if let's say I always wore low shirts and my significant other didn't like that I would not wear them as often. I find that understandable.
I wouldn't change my style. Only certain things.
I would also only do that for my significant other and work(must).

I would certainly not change my style overall, but I'm kind of OK with a guy having an issue with a particular item :P (This is so it's OK for me to have an issue with a particular item of his :lol:)

I wouldn't change my style for others. My style is a part of me, just like my taste in music or films. I admit, though, that I have began to wear more flats after I started to date my current boyfriend. He's shorter than me so if I wear really high heels we look kinda funny (my former bfs have been a lot taller than me so maybe I'm just not used to be the taller one :lol:) but I'd never completely stop to wear high heels, I just love them so much.

It was my fiancee who changed my style quite a bit... mainly because he just loves me to have the nicer things in life and i'm so getting used to it. I could never afford or even thought to look at stuff like I wear now before dating him. He was into his designer clothes and just ended up buying me loads of stuff... I guess before him I didn't have style and now I've found a style... It's not just designer wise though... which is irrelavent really... you could have all designer brands but if you cant put the look together you might as well not bother... he has said to me wear this with that... I've been like no but when I do it's like WOW how did he know that....

The one thing he loves me in is fur though... which I was weird about at first... not because of animal cruelty I could not care about that... I just felt it looks like something and old bird would wear... but now I adore the fur he has bought me... Im slowly getting used to buying more expensive clothes now with my own money. I've learnt less is more... but It's still strange to spend so much when before I was expensive shoping if I went to M and S! But I love it and love having the quality money buys... and yes a bit of the status... but I notice it more with winter clothing... I just love the luxuary of cashmere... where as before I'd have been £300 for a jumper... Im not paying that... no jumper is worth that... but in truth they are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->