How do you incorporate new influences?

tangerine

Soviet Camaro
Reaction score
From time to time we all get tired of our look, or are inspired by someone or something to change the way we are presenting ourselves.

How do you effect a change? Do you try to do it all at once, even if it means buying all new clothes? Or do you do it a little at a time, adding a bit here and there until your transformation is complete?

If you are more in the "all at once" camp, do you find that your core style bubbles up through your new look, so that you become a more nuanced version of your basic style?

If you go a little at a time, do you end up with a more nuanced version of your style, or are you transformed into something else eventually?

cool thread^_^
I remember for a while I was in a total rut where my wardrobe was jeans, flats, grey, black, and white tshirts. It was so drab and I actually got to a point where I really just needed something new!
I'm definitely the type to take things a little at a time..I couldn't throw out everything at once or buy everything at once, but for every bright, fun new thing I'd get i'd toss two of my old things. I think that once the mini makeover ^_^ is complete, it's definitely still me, but just a somewhat better version..its definitely still my style, and i imagine that it would be no matter what
I love being on a mission for a new something...that one special thing, and once you find it, i think it brings about a new confidence and a general air of feeling good
:flower:

I usually add one piece at a time.. but I have a bad habit where I tend to buy similar looking things over a span of one or two months and suddenly realise I have excess of one particular look :sick:. But usually I won't change my wardrobe totally. New stuff will still be fused with my existing wardrobe, like a new top layered over some old basics, or a new pair of jeans with a frumpy old tee that has been in my closet since year 2000, updated with a couple of key jewelry pieces.

About the bit on nuancing, I'm not quite sure, but I realise that I have a strange ability where whatever I put on, be it sweet, grunge, cool or deconstructed, just morphs into this level of personal 'cuteness'. What looks cool and edgy on the mannequin just becomes 'cute' on me :angry: :angry::angry:

I also do it bit by bit each time I go out... and gradually I get more "used to" the new style.

The weather's usually gloomy where I live, so these days when the it's getting so warm and sunny suddenly everyday, I am starting to add pieces of lighter and more colourful clothing.
I wore a red shirt this morning, but it was faded so it wasn't too extreme. And I put a grey shirt over it with brown velvet pants that had a bit of sheen. So there wasn't much contrast between the colours and it didn't get too much attention ^_^ because I often go to places that have people that have seen me before and have become accustomed to how I usually dress/act...

I think I end up turning into something completely different, in the end.
But I do go back sometimes to my "old style." Sometimes accessories, like a silver necklace or shoes, as well as hairstyle, can really change the whole image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tang....an excellent topic - one which I could yap on about for yonks!

I think I touched on this in the 'Schizophrenic Style' thread but I feel like I'm constantly wanting to try different things and I am influenced by a multitude of things. Y/day I saw an old photo of my mum wearing these huge wide pants and tight tight shirt and so I started trying on different trouser outfits (I'm not usually a trouser person!). A few weeks ago, I an old lady wearing a floppy hat and a tea dress - she looked crazy but I wanted to do that crazy bag-lady look as well, so I wore a tea dress with pointy white brogues and a big white floppy hat - then added a sporty white tote. I don't think I intentionally go out and buy stuff just to effect a look only because I hoard so much crap, that there's bound to be something that is able to effect whatever look I'm going for. I'm not sure how I let my style bubble through (what an appropriate word for me!) but people do tell me that I always end up looking like 'me' even if it's a completely different style to what I was wearing the day before. I think it's because I always try to inject contrasts in my outfit or a juxtaposition. Or maybe I'm just a style pacifist and like everything! I'm not sure whether it's a nuanced version of 'me' (who knows what is 'me'??) or whether I take on a completely different look but I can say that I feel very comfortable in all my outfits (wouldn't wear it otherwise....) and perhaps transformation and trying new looks all the time is 'me'.

Ok...babbled on and on and sounds like nonsense.

Good question, Tang :flower:

Susie is the United Nations of fashion, I think she's saying :wink:

In my case, it's definitely a matter of adding on. I know some people are masters of radical transformation, but that's not me ... I would view it as seriously irresponsible and probably an indication of an unstable personality were I to throw out my entire wardrobe and start over :P

I look at each season (fashion season, 2 a year) as an occasion for change. I view the introduction of something new to the way I'm presenting myself to be a requirement twice a year. I have a theme that includes colors and stylistic elements. I get a new haircut, buy new makeup.

But the way things *leave* is generally by getting worn out or used up. I made an exception this morning for a sweater I bought years ago on sale, never really liked, and due to its nude color gets me looks at work when I wear it as a layering piece. Onto the "donate" pile it went ...

I do find myself a bit frustrated sometimes by the "last year" quality of my wardrobe. Because I spent more on watch/jewelry than clothes this season, I don't have that many new pieces to wear, so I'm mostly wearing things from last year's color scheme :wink: Still current, but not as much fun for me.

I feel like I have found my style, and just vary it slightly during the years. I don't shop or wear clothes based on season really (except for obvious seasonal stuff), and I stick to greys/black/navy/white/creams/browns... I don't buy a lot of trendy stuff, I stick to classics or quirky stuff that doesn't get dated easily.

I've been wearing mostly knitwear and jeans the last few years, but I'm starting to wear wool trousers again (just need to make a few more pairs, I have two pairs cut and waiting to be sown...) and blazers. But it's not like I'm burning my jeans, I will continue to wear them. And I wear my knitwear with the trousers and blazers.

I'm a style slug. :wink:

Nice thread..
I'm still sort of drifting around with a question mark above my head as to what is really my style..but wow, I look back at 3-4 month old photos of me and I see that I have gone through quite some changes. Which makes me more of a radical person, I suppose..
But I don't own a lot of clothes at all - right now I think about 100 times before I buy something. I feel like slowly I'm starting to head towards a style which will feel very personal to me.

i think my so-called style tends to be quite basic most of the time and i will usually add a thing or two that i find exciting, not neccesarily something of-the-moment, it can be anything...that's unintentionally extravagant :P .

milkfresh said:
I usually add one piece at a time.. but I have a bad habit where I tend to buy similar looking things over a span of one or two months and suddenly realise I have excess of one particular look :sick:.

I have the same problem, let me know if you find a way to break the habit.

^ I don't do that anymore, and the reason I don't is that I'm conscious of what I'm doing ... I have a plan for what I'm buying. If you're shopping in unconscious mode, this is much more likely to happen ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nauseated
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->