50 Book Challenge for 2011

So, are we going to start the first of January or can we have these couple days extra time?

I'm in! I've been doing this with my sisters for the past 3 years but I only end up reading around 25 books per year.

^which is still a lot!
I will be happy, if I read 1 book per month!

that's an awesome idea! that's gonna be tough though... but i'm in! ^_^ when will we start? new year's day?

I want to give his a go just to achieve something like 20 through this motivaion as I like reading but just not that much. Do books I already started count? probably not. Currenly I'm reading those:

on page 14:

on page 0:

on page 115 (have to read it for school:(

on page 17 (also for school:(

all images from amazon.com

Though because I read them at once and not carefully and in English, German and French. I'm confused already.

What is the First Book about, Marcel?

I think if u are just on page 14 of 299 (or what Ever) it does Court.

BTW, how Long has the Book at least to Be? There are Books that have less than 100 pages, do they Court?

I'd love to join!
A couple years ago books were my whole life but now the internet keep me way too occupied, maybe this will help me to get back to usual habits :wink:
By the way, I read "Everything is illuminated" and ironically I liked the film more. Sadly, it was horribly underrated with almost no big awards under its belt.

What is the First Book about, Marcel?

I think if u are just on page 14 of 299 (or what Ever) it does Court.

BTW, how Long has the Book at least to Be? There are Books that have less than 100 pages, do they Court?

Well so far it's about nothing...but this is a internet summary:

A young American Jew, named Jonathan Safran Foer, journeys to Ukraine in search of Augustine, the woman who saved his grandfather's life during the Nazi liquidation of Trachimbrod, his family shtetl. Armed with many copies of an old photograph of Augustine and his grandfather, maps, and cigarettes, Jonathan begins his adventure with Ukrainian native and soon-to-be good friend, Alexander "Alex" Perchov, who is Foer's age and very fond of American pop culture, albeit culture that is already out of date in the United States. Alex has studied English at his university and is "premium" in his knowledge of the language, therefore he becomes the translator. Alex's "blind" grandfather and his "deranged seeing-eye b*tch," Sammy Davis, Jr., Jr., accompany them on their journey. These three parts tie together in the end of the story. Throughout the book, the meaning of love is deeply examined.

The loose language makes it hard to read for me but I guess it's a good book it also won some awards. Also bought the English edition of his book "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" about 9/11 and my sister owns the German edition of "Eating Animals" but I don't want to read that because I'm sure I would become vegetarian for a while but maybe I will to reach my 50 B).

ETA: Aqua Tofana's post, I didn't know that there is a movie but I think they are filming a new one about his second book. Thanks about that information :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator:
We officially start on 01.01.2011. But you can start now. :smile: There's no reason for wait.

Rules:
1. Books have to be more than 100 pages.
2. Poetry books take part too. Must be more than 100 pages.
3. Two books less than 100 pages count like 1. This is valid for 80-90-99p., too.
4. Books for school are in.
5. Everyone can join whenever he want.

@Marcel, "Everything is illuminated" and "Mr. Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran" count. :smile: Btw I've watched the play "Mr. Ibrahim..." - it's fantastic!

We are:
  1. Bonbonenata
  2. mmBop
  3. YoninahAliza
  4. MulletProof
  5. unspoiledbird
  6. Annu
  7. Teja
  8. myown
  9. Toccata
  10. Over the Sea
  11. Belowen
  12. wild roses
  13. blueorchid
  14. Lola Montès
  15. Dora
  16. williscrazy
  17. loonaka
  18. Ziegfeld Girl
  19. *Bianca*
  20. cloudyshambles
  21. Marcel
  22. Jenna-maria
  23. Aqua Tofana

Good luck and keep reading! :P

So will we write short reviews for each book with read or just update each other every fortnight/month to see how many books we've all read? Or both? I'd be interested in reading if people enjoy the books they are reading. It will give me some ideas for books to read.

Marcel, I'm surprised to see that you have to read a novel by Amelie Nothomb. I didn't know it was part of the school programm.
Are you from France or Belgium ?

I'm in, great idea everyone!

Currently reading - Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chögyam Trungpa

Marcel, I'm surprised to see that you have to read a novel by Amelie Nothomb. I didn't know it was part of the school programm.
Are you from France or Belgium ?

Allemagne...maybe that's why. I think more demanding French literature would go beyond of the scope of our vocabulary knowledge, I'm glad because the book is actually a nice change from the books we usually read at school.

Still off topic but, actually I think Amelie Nothomb uses a very rich vocabulary and her writing is quite academic. So it's interesting to learn french new words and syntax.
I used to love her novels cause they're funny, with a weird sense of humour but it turns out to be often the same and it's more like short stories to me. She should focus more on one novel instead of publishing a book every year.

I setup my signature, if it's okay
I hope others would like to use it;
I think it's a great way for us to follow
each others progress, find out about books,
and spread the word to other members.

I really liked the look of your signature so I figured I would use it too! Thanks for creating such a nice signature for us to use. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->