88th Annual Academy Awards 2016

One of my best dressed was Tina Fey, I rarely like her RC choices but everything worked last night imo. Hair & makeup, jewellery, dress´color and shape, I loved everything.
Another favorite was Saoirse, totally unexpected. Loved the color and the bombshell look, hair and makeup was on point. When the camera panned her during her nomination announcement she was radiant.
Rooney´s was same old same old, from dress to hair & makeup but it´s a look I love so it worked for me, as it does every time.

There's always been something i never liked about Leonardo Di, he just comes off like he's super playboy and immature in his personal life - that's why he keeps so low profile.

I agree. He rubs me the wrong way also. I think it's quite telling that i have 20 pics of Dicaprio in my instagram feed as a youngster to congratulate him on the Oscar Win, isn't this suppose to be his peak? Regardless i think he's deserving of an Oscar, maybe not for this particular role but for his overall career.

I know Vikander's dress was not the best,but she looked so natural and vibrant, that it became irrelevant.

winners.jpg

stylist.co.uk

funny how in this picture it looks like their stylists already knew the winners :wink:

actually liked Mark Rylances green tux. he looked really polished at his speech.

that's not correct though.... he knows precisely what he's talking about.

i lived in calgary alberta for 5 years. yes, chinooks happen. but they would never melt all the snow at that time of year!! never. there would always be way too much snow for a chinook - which only lasts a day or a few days - to melt it all.

my husband's parents still live in alberta and the weather has changed drastically.

it's only in the past few years that these kinds of changes have happened.

leo is extremely knowledgable about climate change. like i said, just look at his twitter feed. maybe he'd never experienced a chinook before, but i think he understands the way global warming works.

we can criticize him for many things, his modelizing for example, but this guy's passion for and knowledge about environmentalism should not me questioned imo.

p.s. one more thing about alberta - they are comparable, in some ways, to texans. their primary industry is oil and gas. of course many of them don't want to hear about the shift to fossil fuels!! they would rather deny climate change. so if some albertans tweeted about leo ... consider their political motives.

/rant.

:flower:

I don't mind Leo and I really do think he deserves that award.

However, the thing that bothers me most about him is that he seems oh-so-passionate about climate change, yet doesn't hesitate to use his private jet 4 times a week, to rent luxury yachts for his squad (moreover, from Saudi oil multis who aren't exactly climate protectors either) and flies every single friend of his in to party with him.
I really do think that when it comes to destroying the environment by private jet and luxury yachts, Leo is one of the worst celebs out there.

Does anybody know where I can watch/stream the Academy awards?

After learning about the heavy lobbying and campaigning and slandering and baiting and political agendas and statistics, I can't take the Oscars seriously. Studios spend so much money to get nominations, that it makes me wonder if they're really deserved. I mean if you follow the formula and make a movie about a sexy actress who's a slave in the Holocaust who has troubles because she's a woman and overcomes those obstacles and improves the world with film and acting and base it on real events and release it in the last two months of the year and lobby hard, you might just win.

As for the fashion, Alicia ' s dress reminds me of Galliano's last Dior couture collection for some reason. If the dress was all floor length with a long train it probably would've been better. It's odd, Nicholas made some great red carpet dresses for Nicole Kidman, what happened. As for Brie ' s dress, it looks like a prom dress you could buy for $200 at Macy's

I finally got around to watching it (I have been avoiding all medias today so that I wouldn't see any spoilers) and I am so happy Leo won:smile: Finally!

I don't mind Leo and I really do think he deserves that award.

However, the thing that bothers me most about him is that he seems oh-so-passionate about climate change, yet doesn't hesitate to use his private jet 4 times a week, to rent luxury yachts for his squad (moreover, from Saudi oil multis who aren't exactly climate protectors either) and flies every single friend of his in to party with him.
I really do think that when it comes to destroying the environment by private jet and luxury yachts, Leo is one of the worst celebs out there.

LOL

I couldn’t roll my eyes any further to the high heavens with this guy lecturing on about climate change when he has a private jet, several mansions and a yacht. And I suppose he rides his bike everywhere... I guess all these possessions of his operate on a potato.

These stars need to shut their cringeworthy-lecturing when they accept their awards. They come off as such fools with absolutely no self-awareness with their causes within the context of the Oscars.

Don't worry, plenty of people will be tuning in to see how the ceremony will pan out after the controversy and to see Leo finally win.

Something like second lowest watched ceremony ever. Sure, there may have been other reasons, but parading a bunch of nobodies as presenters didn't help.

personally i love when celebs use their very public platforms to talk about important issues. it's awesome from my perspective. i don't see it as a lecture but as inspiration.

i don't disagree that leo seems to live a luxury lifestyle, as many celebs probably do. i don't know enough about his private life to analyze it in depth. and again, we can critique him on a micro level - i.e., for his personal habits - but can we critique him on a macro level?

i still maintain that he cares passionately about the environment and has been campaigning for change for years.

he was on the cover of vanity fairs' 2nd green issue years ago, maybe in 2007?? he's marched with canadian indigenous groups in climate summits more than once. he's won awards for his environmental work ...

as per wiki, here are some of his environmental [and other] contributions, which actually seem to point to a number of efforts to be greener in his private life, in addition to his public efforts.

A dedicated environmentalist, DiCaprio has received praise from environmental groups for his activism.[122] He owns an electric Tesla Roadster,[123] a Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid,[124] and a Toyota Prius.[125] He has also installed solar panels on his house.[122] In an interview with Ukula about his film the 11th Hour, DiCaprio cited global warming as "the number-one environmental challenge".[126]

At the 2007 Oscar ceremony, DiCaprio and former Vice President Al Gore appeared to announce that the Academy Awards had incorporated environmentally intelligent practices throughout the planning and production processes, thus affirming their commitment to the environment, and on July 7, 2007, DiCaprio presented at the American leg of Live Earth. In 2010, his environmental work earned DiCaprio a nomination for the VH1 Do Something Award. The awards show, produced by VH1, is dedicated to honoring people who do good and is powered by Do Something, a New York-based organization that aims to empower and inspire young people.[127] On September 16, 2014, DiCaprio was appointed as a United Nations representative on climate change.[128]

In 1998, DiCaprio and his mother donated $35,000 for a "Leonardo DiCaprio Computer Center" at the Los Feliz branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, the site of his childhood home. It was rebuilt after the 1994 Northridge earthquake and opened in early 1999.[129] During the filming of Blood Diamond, DiCaprio worked with 24 orphaned children from the SOS Children's Village in Maputo, Mozambique, and was said to be extremely touched by his interactions with the children.[130] In 2010, he donated $1 million to relief efforts in Haiti after the earthquake.[131]

During the 2004 presidential election, DiCaprio campaigned and donated to John Kerry's presidential bid. The FEC showed DiCaprio gave $2,300 to Barack Obama's presidential campaign in the 2008 election, the maximum contribution an individual can give in that election cycle, and $5,000 to Obama's 2012 campaign.[132]

In November 2010, DiCaprio donated $1 million to the Wildlife Conservation Society at Russia's tiger summit. DiCaprio's persistence in reaching the event after encountering two plane delays caused then Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to describe him as a "muzhik" or "real man".[133][134] In 2011, DiCaprio joined the Animal Legal Defense Fund's campaign to free Tony, a tiger who has spent the last decade at the Tiger Truck Stop in Grosse Tete, Louisiana.[135] In April 2013, DiCaprio donated $61,000 to GLAAD, an organization which promotes the image of LGBT people in the media.[136]

In 2015, Leonardo DiCaprio executive produced a new Netflix-exclusive cut of the movie Cowspiracy. The film explored the impact of animal agriculture on the environment and the positions of several environmental organizations on the issue.[137]

DiCaprio is also an investor in Diamond Foundry, a company that produces synthetic diamonds.[138]

he has his own foundation as well

http://leonardodicaprio.org

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ I’m not doubting his passion for the environment is anything but genuine. And every star has a foundation: It’s so stylish LOL

My problem is him using the ceremony that celebrates glamor, fame and fortune above everything else to the general public as a platform for his cause(s). I suppose that speaks of the cult of celebrity that the masses need to look up to— hence why so many stars feel they need to use the event as their platform for some trendy social/political cause… For me, it’s as inappropriate as it would be for me to be at a party where people are all dressed in designer clothes and consuming all types of drinks (and drugs), and start talking about securing the best healthcare for low-income seniors.

I believe one can value expensive, luxurious possessions and still be equally passionate about social and political causes. But it all comes off so cringe-induicng to me when they blather on about their cause within the context of the “Oscars”. And once again, I don’t know what environmentally-friendly fuel(s) he uses for his private jets, mansions and yacht… and he could very well ride his bike everywhere…. Frankly, I don’t care enough about him to research, or be influenced/inspired by his cause(s). I'll go about it on my own.

^I think it is a great platform to bring up important issues. The Oscars are watched around the world, and a lot of people look up to these people.

Would you rather just listen to people thank their agents, family etc? That is at least just as boring as a speech about unglamourous serious matters.

That said, I don't want serious issues to take over the show. I never want to see the red carpet become a conference room!

^^^ I’m not doubting his passion for the environment is anything but genuine. And every star has a foundation: It’s so stylish LOL

... I suppose that speaks of the cult of celebrity that the masses need to look up to— hence why so many stars feel they need to use the event as their platform for some trendy social/political cause… For me, it’s as inappropriate as it would be for me to be at a party where people are all dressed in designer clothes and consuming all types of drinks (and drugs), and start talking about securing the best healthcare for low-income seniors.

His speech is literally the opposite of trendy, it's not a fad he's a part of - climate change has been his life for so many years now, he spends all his time dealing with it. He's not 'using the event' as his platform - he makes the same comments at every event or interview he does, no matter how big or small. You can't knock his work on this.

totally agree with the last 2 posts.

climate change is the opposite of trendy; it's imperative.

and i, too, want to see balance maintained between entertainment and more serious issues - and by and large, i thought we did see that balance.

the costume designer for mad max used the dystopia and water shortage in the film to bring up the issue of climate change.

the documentary-short filmmaker used her win to talk about honour killings.

leonardo talked about the making of the revenant - i.e., largely location shooting - and its theme of man's relationship with nature, to bring up climate change.

none of them spent more than a minute or two - or even less - to mention an issue that they see as important, and which they see as having a connection to their art.

so i don't think they belaboured the issues. it was still largely about entertainment and art.

but art reflects reality, so we're bound to hear about it. :flower:

personally i don't look to celebrities for my politics or causes, but some people may not think of certain issues and some people might think more about them if they see such impassioned pleas from, say, an actor whom they really respect.

Not Plain Jane: that comment above is actually absolutely perfect. Thank you for this. :flower:

totally agree with the last 2 posts.

climate change is the opposite of trendy; it's imperative.

and i, too, want to see balance maintained between entertainment and more serious issues - and by and large, i thought we did see that balance.

the costume designer for mad max used the dystopia and water shortage in the film to bring up the issue of climate change.

the documentary-short filmmaker used her win to talk about honour killings.

leonardo talked about the making of the revenant - i.e., largely location shooting - and its theme of man's relationship with nature, to bring up climate change.

none of them spent more than a minute or two - or even less - to mention an issue that they see as important, and which they see as having a connection to their art.

so i don't think they belaboured the issues. it was still largely about entertainment and art.

but art reflects reality, so we're bound to hear about it. :flower:

personally i don't look to celebrities for my politics or causes, but some people may not think of certain issues and some people might think more about them if they see such impassioned pleas from, say, an actor whom they really respect.

i completely agree.

and re: leonardo, other than climate change being an issue he's talked and actively worked for for years, it also deeply relates to the film he won for, not only cause of the location shootings, but because they literally had to halt production cause of direct effects of climate change - the snow melted way before its time, and they had to relocated to south america to finish the film. There's a real, direct relation between what he won for and the issue he brought up. I'm slightly indifferent to leonardo, but his stance made perfect sense

I finally got around to watching it (I have been avoiding all medias today so that I wouldn't see any spoilers) and I am so happy Leo won:smile: Finally!
Where did you watch it?
I still haven't :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->