Alessandro Michele - Designer, Creative Director of Valentino

I think Alessandro will do the Frida thing and disappear from fashion.

I think that is chance is low because, unlike Frida whose clothes in her last few years weren't sold well, only the bags and perfumes are doing okay. her Gucci is already stale when she was fired. And despite what we think about his collections, his clothes and bags still sell well and Gucci is still the top brand at Kering despite not reaching their impossible expectation. From the outside, he left when he is still at the top.

considering that he is one of the anchors for the return of logomania (remember ss2016), his impact on the industry is still very present, brands trying to recreate his formula but fail miserably because the magic is only working with his aesthetic.

I think because he gave his everything to Gucci, it's difficult to imagine where he will end up next. Tbh He can go back to Fendi, that is the only brand right that can match his name, I don't know if he is willing to go to a smaller brand, he is already a star designer. And it's not like he can do worse than Kim tbh.

I think that is chance is low because, unlike Frida whose clothes in her last few years weren't sold well, only the bags and perfumes are doing okay. her Gucci is already stale when she was fired. And despite what we think about his collections, his clothes and bags still sell well and Gucci is still the top brand at Kering despite not reaching their impossible expectation. From the outside, he left when he is still at the top.

considering that he is one of the anchors for the return of logomania (remember ss2016), his impact on the industry is still very present, brands trying to recreate his formula but fail miserably because the magic is only working with his aesthetic.

I think because he gave his everything to Gucci, it's difficult to imagine where he will end up next. Tbh He can go back to Fendi, that is the only brand right that can match his name, I don't know if he is willing to go to a smaller brand, he is already a star designer. And it's not like he can do worse than Kim tbh.

I also thought of Fendi, because Kim is lazy and lame, and the brand is badly positionned as a second-tier Vuitton. They need an aesthetic revamp, and AM already proved he can work logos and monograms. That dull FF monogram is the sole selling point of the company and I feel pity for those attracted to it.
It's not impossible for Fendi to be a true challenger to Gucci, with the right designer and enough goodwill from LVMH.

unrelated to michele but is there a consensus on when this shift happened? i feel like aw2007 was the major turning point here.
The dead of Steven was a real shift that affected his personal life and impacted his work and the evolution of his tenure at Dior but the creative shift, motivated by Arnault happened really between 2004 and 2005 for a complete change of strategy that started in 2006.

It was said that the ridiculousness of the FW2004 RTW collection (one of my personal all time favorite of John) and the lukewarm reception at the time influenced Arnault. That collection represented the real disconnect between what was presented and sold in the stores. While the Dior Rasta capsule was a hit, Dior was « advised » to propose something more commercial…There was spring 2005 which was basically a trunkshow with different categories made to appease both Arnault and retailers. Arnault wanted to preserve the image of his « baby » Dior and believed that the J’Adore Dior tshirts and others « merch » that sold very well didn’t help.
So basically, over one year, John was on the mission to design something cleaner, less logo driven, more elevated and chic. The collections from FW05 to FW06 were more commercial but very directional backed with the commercial success of the Gaucho (that replaced the Saddle). They used the year 2007 and the anniversary of Dior to solidify that strategy and go back to a more conservative, elevated image… back to basics we should say. They stopped the production of the J’adore t-shirts and other products from the « p*rno chic / Cyber sex » era of Dior. Gone was the sportswear, they raised their prices, they redesigned their accessories collection, they re-introduced the Lady Dior and stopped producing the Gaucho…

All of that to say that it was a strategy they went for hand and hand with the designer. And even if the last years of Galliano at Dior weren’t that fabulous, it’s just to show that a house can make a 360 degree shift when the designer is talented and willing to take the challenge.

The dead of Steven was a real shift that affected his personal life and impacted his work and the evolution of his tenure at Dior but the creative shift, motivated by Arnault happened really between 2004 and 2005 for a complete change of strategy that started in 2006.

It was said that the ridiculousness of the FW2004 RTW collection (one of my personal all time favorite of John) and the lukewarm reception at the time influenced Arnault. That collection represented the real disconnect between what was presented and sold in the stores. While the Dior Rasta capsule was a hit, Dior was « advised » to propose something more commercial…There was spring 2005 which was basically a trunkshow with different categories made to appease both Arnault and retailers. Arnault wanted to preserve the image of his « baby » Dior and believed that the J’Adore Dior tshirts and others « merch » that sold very well didn’t help.
So basically, over one year, John was on the mission to design something cleaner, less logo driven, more elevated and chic. The collections from FW05 to FW06 were more commercial but very directional backed with the commercial success of the Gaucho (that replaced the Saddle). They used the year 2007 and the anniversary of Dior to solidify that strategy and go back to a more conservative, elevated image… back to basics we should say. They stopped the production of the J’adore t-shirts and other products from the « p*rno chic / Cyber sex » era of Dior. Gone was the sportswear, they raised their prices, they redesigned their accessories collection, they re-introduced the Lady Dior and stopped producing the Gaucho…

All of that to say that it was a strategy they went for hand and hand with the designer. And even if the last years of Galliano at Dior weren’t that fabulous, it’s just to show that a house can make a 360 degree shift when the designer is talented and willing to take the challenge.

Absolutely.

Designers are not artists. They have a brief to fulfill, a business need to address, a client to serve.

Absolutely.

Designers are not artists. They have a brief to fulfill, a business need to address, a client to serve.
So much truth to this.
Lots of fashion people despise fashion serving an actual customer, but they fail to realise that customers are the backbone of these labels, even the super wild, avant-garde ones.

Rumors are that this is Michele's new venture:
Walter Albini Relaunch Confirmed

Bidayat, a fund controlled by Rachid Mohamed Rachid, is set to relaunch Italian label Albini after acquiring its IP and archive, BoF can confirm. Rachid declined to comment on unconfirmed media reports that Alessandro Michele is involved.

By ROBERT WILLIAMS
09 May 2023
BoF PROFESSIONAL

Bidayat, a Switzerland-based investment vehicle steered by Rachid Mohamed Rachid, is planning to relaunch the dormant Italian fashion house Walter Albini after acquiring its intellectual property and archives last year, BoF can confirm.

Albini was a key figure in Italy’s post-War ready-to-wear boom before he was largely forgotten after his death from AIDS, in 1983, at the age of 42. Bidayat says it is currently teaming up with museums, publishers and luxury advisors to raise awareness of Albini’s legacy before restarting the business.

In a statement released exclusively to BoF, Rachid, who is also CEO of Mayhoola for Investments and chairman of its Valentino and Balmain brands, referred to Albini as a “hidden jewel of Italian high fashion.”

“Walter Albini deserves to claim its rightful place amongst the top luxury brands on the global stage,” he said. Bidayat is a personal investment vehicle and is not affiliated with Mayhoola.

Representatives for the fund declined to comment on recent reports in Panorama and Miss Tweed linking former Gucci designer Alessandro Michele to the project.

Parallels aren’t hard to spot between Albini’s archives and Michele’s Gucci, which often mixed references to Old Hollywood glamour with late 1960s silhouettes, and Michele has previously voiced admiration for Albini in media interviews.

Still, the nature and scope of the star designer’s reported involvement in the relaunch remains unclear and he is likely constrained by a non-compete agreement with his former employer.

Michele did not respond to a request for comment.

Albini’s relaunch will be powered, in part, by a large archive acquired from a collector, Dr. Barbara Curti, who sold a trove of garments, costume jewellery, drawings, photographs, and other memorabilia to Bidayat and will advise on the relaunch.

Who was Walter Albini?
Albini grew up in Busto Arsizio, a small city north of Milan, before starting his career in Paris at its influential mid-century “style offices,” whose trendsetting ideas for colours and prints spearheaded the democratisation of design among mass-market retailers and manufacturers.

After creating his own line, Albini became a key driver of Italy’s ready-to-wear revolution, combining products from various industrial partners to create a “total look” on the runway. As one of the first designers to abandon the tradition of showing in Florence in favour of Milan, Albini helped pave the way for today’s Milan Fashion Week.

Albini’s aesthetic often channelled Old Hollywood glamour or sporty 1920s looks, reworking them through a post-War filter that emphasised comfort and mobility. His way of mining fashion history for themes to reinterpret in his collections positioned him as an Italian counterpoint to Paris-based contemporaries like Karl Lagerfeld and Yves Saint Laurent, and a precursor to titans of Italian ready-to-wear like Giorgio Armani and Gianni Versace. Albini was also one of the first designers to show genderless fashions and stage mixed-gender shows (a key intersection with Michele’s work at Gucci).

“With the exception of Yves Saint Laurent and Karl Lagerfeld, no other designer has had a greater impact in recent years,” the Sunday Times wrote in 1973.

‘Sleeping Beauty’ brands
Efforts to resurrect dormant but storied fashion labels, often called ‘sleeping beauty’ brands, have multiplied in recent years, with mixed results. French couture houses like Poiret and Vionnet have staged short-lived returns to the Paris fashion calendar, while a 15-year push to revive Schiaparelli finally gained traction in recent years under designer Daniel Roseberry. Kering’s Balenciaga — which was shut down in 1968 then rebooted in the late 1980s, taking off after Nicolas Ghesquière was appointed creative director in 1997 — is the strategy’s biggest success story to date, underscoring the importance of finding the right designer to make a brand revival work.

In Albini’s case, enlisting a major designer like Michele to help power the relaunch would certainly give the strategy a greater chance of success. But for now, the project remains in early stages, with both creative and executive talent yet to be confirmed.

“Our challenge will be finding the right calibre of leadership team to bring alive our vision and ambition,” Rachid acknowledged.
Source: BOF

Bidayat to relaunch Walter Albini
The Switzerland-based platform did not comment on rumours that former Gucci creative director Alessandro Michele could be joining the Italian brand to lead its revival.

BY LAURE GUILBAULT
May 9, 2023

Switzerland-based investment platform Bidayat has acquired the intellectual property and a substantial part of the archives of Italian fashion designer Walter Albini, who gained fame between the mid 1960s to early 1980s, and plans to relaunch the brand

The company declined to comment on media speculation that Alessandro Michele will join as creative director. The industry is watching for Michele’s next move following his departure from Gucci in November 2022 after a seven-year run.

Bidayat is a vehicle of Alsara Investment Group, the family office of Rachid Mohamed Rachid, who is also the CEO of Qatari investment fund Mayhoola. With this acquisition, Bidayat aims “to create awareness and recognition about the legacy of Walter Albini and his transformative impact on the fashion industry with plans to revive the iconic brand”, the investment platform said in a statement. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Albini embodied Italian fashion in the 1970s, alongside Gianni Versace and Giorgio Armani, and contributed to the creation of Milan Fashion Week. However, his name and brand were largely forgotten after his death at the age of 42 in 1983. Bidayat stressed that Albini’s creations “continue to inspire some of the world’s most sought-after designers and artistic talents today”.

“We are honoured to have unearthed this hidden jewel of Italian high fashion and are currently studying Walter Albini’s vast heritage to set the foundations for the future of the eponymous brand. Walter Albini deserves to claim its rightful place amongst the top luxury brands on the global stage,” Rachid stated. “Our challenge will be finding the right calibre of leadership team to bring alive our vision and ambition.”

Michele, known for his signature gender-fluid maximalism, could be a good fit: Albini embraced the concept of unisex fashion, notably in his Autumn/Winter 1975 collection featuring both male and female models, and like Michele, had an experimental approach. Michele was inspired by Albini’s 1970s aesthetic for his AW16 collection for Gucci menswear.

Established in Spring 2021, Bidayat invests in early-stage brands in fashion, accessories, jewellery, beauty and lifestyle from the Middle East, North Africa and Europe. All the funding comes from Rachid and his family estate. Bidayat’s portfolio includes Egyptian accessories brand Okhtein, jewellery house Azza Fahmy, and furniture design platform Fromm.

Several heritage brands have been relaunched under new owners, although it can be a bumpy road. Vionnet, the French haute couture label that was created by Madeleine Vionnet in 1912, changed hands many times and went through voluntary liquidation in 2018. It has now been acquired by a new investment vehicle, ChimHaeres, with the goal to revive it. South Korea retail giant Shinsegae acquired the trademarks of French womenswear brand Poiret in 2015 and appointed Yiqing Yin as artistic director — who left in 2018 after only two shows. Under the ownership of Hong Kong investment group First Heritage Brands, Sonia Rykiel liquidated operations; the brand is now owned by American company G-III. Schiaparelli’s relaunch by Diego Della Valle in 2012, with Daniel Roseberry now at the creative helm, generated fresh interest in the brand.

The Walter Albini archive contents had been previously owned and collected by Barbara Curti, whose mother, Marisa Curti, had been a long-term collector. Barbara Curti will continue to act as an archive curator and advisor to Bidayat. “I am delighted to join forces with Bidayat to continue to look after and build on Walter Albini’s powerful archive. I am looking forward to having many more generations be inspired by this incredibly talented designer, whose drive for perfection changed the entire Italian fashion ecosystem,” she said.
Source: Vogue Business

Interesting. I have a feeling that he is headed to Givenchy...

Michele, who is rumored to be heading to an LVMH brand, also anticipated the new sensibilities about gender and beauty diversity, even though his ideas began to wear thin as the world caught up to him (and in some ways surpassed him).
thecut.com/2023/09/fashion-review-gucci/

He is rumored for anything at this point lol
I cannot see him at Givenchy…Even if HC will allow him to go crazy, I’m not sure it’s something that we are missing.
He would be good for Pucci maybe lol.

^ I heard that too, and KJ to Givenchy...

I sure do hope Kim Jones doesn't go to Givenchy. Not sure what that would add to the equation as the womenswear would be more or less the same boring thing he's been doing at Fendi and the menswear would be too similar to his Dior menswear.

Even if I wanted Sarah Burton to go to Givenchy, I can see Arnault giving Givenchy to KJ as it would be the perfect brand for him to express total creative control over.

And even if I wanted Fabio at Fendi, Michele at Fendi makes totally sense. He knows Silvia, he can do fur, Couture would allow him to go crazy and menswear will finally have an identity. It should be total cow-creative control over menswear and womenswear though.

Michele non-compete agreement is ending soon I think.
The question if Jones is leaving DH and Fendi for Givenchy will be « who to take over Dior »?

‘There are a lot of free-agent designers in the market. LVMH has the reputation to hire well known people.

interesting i wonder what fendis animal will be, a fox?

can kim jones do couture? or theyll dump givenchy couture?

Sarah Burton for Dior Homme please but i think she will stay at kering if she ever moves anywhere. maybe balenciaga

Living for the speculation...:grinningsquinting:
I think Fendi is much 'easier' to deal with for someone like Kim Jones compared to Givenchy.
And even then, his Fendi womens wear is just the final proof of the limited talents of KJ. Not just the designs but also the inspirational and aspirational aspects, there's very little story telling there.

Michele to any LVMH house is quite a coup again in the LVMH - Kering battle.
And it's right that he was spotted in Rome recently for something LVMH related, so it must be Fendi.
It's definitely interesting to see the continuation of the different approaches of both conglomerates when it comes to placement of new CD's at their houses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->