American / United States Fashion Schools

Is LIM (labratory Institute of Merchandising)
a good school for someone wh is majoring in fashion merchandising

i was wondering if anyone here was attended or heard anything about Lasell College in newton, mass. my mother works at mount holyoke, so i get this tuition exchange benefit thing, which means i can go to some colleges for less money. but this limits me a lot because i dont think many on the list are fashion colleges, and i want to be in boston or new york, since i think those would be best for internships, which i am also interested in.
heres the link of colleges on the list if anyone could maybe help me out and sees any fashion colleges on the list : https://www.tuitionexchange.org/partinst.cfm

sorry if this was a little long, but i have to start thinking about colleges soon and i dont know where to start :(

Welcome to tFS, lesmineaux!

I moved your post to this thread about US fashion schools .... since it's more on topic here. (the other thread was about discussing which schools people consider the "best", not to ask questions about finding a school in the US). Hopefully someone here can answer your question about which of these schools are fashion schools and if anyone knows anything about Lasell College.

As far as I know, I've never heard of any of these as fashion schools .... but then I've not researched schools, so I could be way off base. I see that they provide a link to each school, so it would be easy to find out with a little research... so that is what you should do.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's weird that article says that Tom Ford went to Otis... I looked him up and his biography says that he went to Parsons.:huh:

"L.A. Fashion Schools Earn High Grades" - Kathryn Hadeka

New York may have the Fashion Institute of Technology and Parson The New School for Design, but Los Angeles boasts its own world-class fashion schools as well. Here's a closer look.

GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!!!:smile:

Welcome Kathryn ... we look forward to your contributions to tFS!!

bump *

Has anyone any info on RISD? Rhode Island school of Design :ermm:
They have some explanatory videos for the different programs they offer on their website

I think it says for 2008-2009 the tuition price was 34,665 $ :ninja:
Is that real..? LoL
for full-time degree candidates
http://www.risd.edu/factsfigures.cfm
I am hoping that price is for the whole program --that would make it about $5,000 for a semester

bump *

Has anyone any info on RISD? Rhode Island school of Design :ermm:
They have some explanatory videos for the different programs they offer on their website

I think it says for 2008-2009 the tuition price was 34,665 $ :ninja:
Is that real..? LoL
for full-time degree candidates
http://www.risd.edu/factsfigures.cfm
I am hoping that price is for the whole program --that would make it about $5,000 for a semester

sorry, that's definitely the cost for a year. :(

oh, no..^ :cry:
any idea why it's like that? such an abnormal price...
I thought only private schools charge that much because they are for-profit

It is a private school. I checked that link, it says so on the first page.

oh, no..^ :cry:
any idea why it's like that? such an abnormal price...
I thought only private schools charge that much because they are for-profit

it really beats me as to why they're so costly, but most of the prestigious art schools/liberal arts college in the states are upwards of 30,000 in tuition alone...and that's not even including housing and supplies.

it isn't just the for-profit schools though.

I haven't really looked into anything at all much, but I want to go into advertising. Specifically advertising in fashion. Do you know of any colleges that offer some sort of degree in that category?

i was wondering if anyone here was attended or heard anything about Lasell College in newton, mass. my mother works at mount holyoke, so i get this tuition exchange benefit thing, which means i can go to some colleges for less money. but this limits me a lot because i dont think many on the list are fashion colleges, and i want to be in boston or new york, since i think those would be best for internships, which i am also interested in.
heres the link of colleges on the list if anyone could maybe help me out and sees any fashion colleges on the list : https://www.tuitionexchange.org/partinst.cfm

sorry if this was a little long, but i have to start thinking about colleges soon and i dont know where to start :(

I read your list and saw Pratt on it. Thats a terrific art school with a fashion program that I think Betsey Johnson went to. But, like any art school you'll need a portfolio to get in since every freshman has to go a foundation year.

I'm going to Parson's Open House on October 4th. Is anyone else attending? I'm so excited. I know it's not a one-on-one situation for students to meet with advisors, but I am bringing my sketchbook just in case I get the opportunity to have my work reviewed.

i doubt it.

ive started applying to FIT too. hey lleux, tell us how the open house at parsons go!

Oy these college applications are giving me major headaches! I'm a senior in high school and I want to major in fashion design in college. Right now I'm having a dilemma on applying to schools and I need your advice. :doh: Despite their outrageous tuition, my first choice for school has been always Parsons. But this recent year, the talks about Parsons graduates having problems with a huge debt + interest started getting into my head. I also read here that graduates from reputable schools like Parsons do have trouble getting a job and such. So I was having a second thought about applying to Parsons for my undergraduate degree. Then I came to know that Academy of Art University has a really strong fashion department, (participating in NY fashion week, etc.) and thought that I should apply there for my undergraduate degree. But I found out that I have to pay a non-refundable $500 deposit + $100 application fee when I apply there. So if I choose to go to the other school over AAU because I received a full-year scholarship or what not from that school, I'd lose $600 for nothing. Also, the opportunity to participate in the fashion week is only for the graduate students.
So here's my dilemma:
1. Should I attend AAU for the first 2 years to get AA or BFA degree whatever (someone please explain me the difference?), then transfer to Parsons and attend there for the rest of 2 years to finish my 4 years of college education? - or -
2. Should I just apply to all the schools I want to apply (including AAU and Parsons) and if I do get accepted to Parsons, (I'm confident that I will) attend Parsons for full 4 years? - or -
3. Should I attend Parsons for the first 2 years, then transfer to AAU or another school, perhaps FIT? (because it's cheaper for NY residents and I'd be a NY resident by the time I'm transferring) - or -
4. Should I apply to all the schools I want to apply (excluding AAU) and even though I do get accepted to Parsons, choose the other school? (My other choices are FIT, Otis, and SAIC)
I know it's confusing. I'm confused myself as well. :P I'm trying to choose the way that would help me to possibly save a lot of money and end up with a less debt. I'd be really grateful if you respond me and give me some advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
So now I have another dilemma on what I want to major in. I don't know if I should go for fine arts or fashion design. I definitely want to become a designer, but I'm really into fine arts and am good at it. I've been sure that I wanted to major in fashion design only because I want to be a designer. Rick Owens studied fine arts at Otis and dropped out, but he ended up being one of the leading high fashion designer. So, I was wondering if it's possible to major in fine arts for 2 years (associate degree), and then major in fashion design for another 2 years (bachelor degree)? Also, what jobs are available for fine arts majors? Lastly, can someone please help me with the problem I posted previously? I know I have a lot of questions but I really want to get over with applying to schools this month with no mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meineri
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->