AnOther Magazine Fall/Winter 2016

Another Magazine seems to have slowly but surely lost their confidence and individual direction within the last few years. And coasting on name brands. Maybe it's just laziness.

Sasha looks the best— feels incomplete though. All the shots look incomplete, actually. And the tone is all over the place but I suppose that’s more of a survival pitch so that they maximize sales: Nick’s painted Easter egg, then the boring street shots… Jazzelle is way too pubescent and too The Neverending Story Empress-looking for my taste. And frankly, Yasmin and Manami really don’t have the strong faces next to the others. I get that their plain Jane looks are what’s in nowadays (and tossed out and forgotten the next). Wished they made more of a high fashion effort with Naomi, Sasha and Vittoria. Everything’s so normcore or street fashion. And speaking of Namoni, I don’t get the love for her shots, other than it’s the legacy of Naomi in Alaia. Her eyes look spaced out, like Melania Trump glassy-eye Stepford Wife spaced out. Her face just looks weird these days.

Another really is living up to its name: Just another magazine.

CHRISTOPHER KANE
PHOTOGRAPHER: ROE ETHRIDGE
MODEL: SASHA PIVOVAROVA
STYLING: KAREN LANGLEY
HAIR: PETER GRAY
MAKE-UP: SUSIE SOBOL
NAILS: NATALIE PAVLOVSKI

visualizing.fashion

COMME DES GARÇONS
PHOTOGRAPHER: NICK KNIGHT
MODEL: JAZELLE ZANAUGHTTI
STYLING: KATIE SHILLINGFORD
HAIR: MARTIN CULLEN
MAKE-UP: ISAMAYA FFRENCH
NAILS: ADAM SLEE

FULL EDITORIAL IN UHQ.

visualizing.fashion

Craig McDean's edit with Katy England is pretty nice, it's got a Victorian vibe to it and is probably a little bit more interesting than his recent Interview collections story. The cast is Vittoria Cerretti, Sarah Abney, Veronika Vilim, Lorena Maraschi and Kiki Willems (shame about the yt-ness there...)

Naomi and Yasmin are part of the multi-girl/boy Alaia story by McLellan (also styled by KE). It looks alright, but I don't retract my statement about Alasdair being a B List snapper in my eyes; he's always trying so hard! I don't really mind the Balenciaga story by Harley Weir that much. Willy has an edit that looks like it features random street girls.

Overall an improvement over their recent issues but still probably not worth the price as there's masses of glossy nothingness in between what I described.

Nick's story is amazing.. I like the unfinished aspect of it, not exactly on purpose (like the model not entirely delivering in some shots), because it leaves the efforts in each picture in a more 'raw' state, so the intention stands out.. the work on the model's head and the additional sculpting (both physically and digitally) to accommodate each of these pieces not only make you appreciate the collection and the ideas of femininity and sexuality in it even more but also appreciate this type of dedication coming from a magazine for creations like this, and how Rei's work continues to push boundaries and step up the creativity bar for everyone in the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig McDean's edit with Katy England is pretty nice, it's got a Victorian vibe to it and is probably a little bit more interesting than his recent Interview collections story. The cast is Vittoria Cerretti, Sarah Abney, Veronika Vilim, Lorena Maraschi and Kiki Willems (shame about the yt-ness there...)

Naomi and Yasmin are part of the multi-girl/boy Alaia story by McLellan (also styled by KE). It looks alright, but I don't retract my statement about Alasdair being a B List snapper in my eyes; he's always trying so hard! I don't really mind the Balenciaga story by Harley Weir that much. Willy has an edit that looks like it features random street girls.

Overall an improvement over their recent issues but still probably not worth the price as there's masses of glossy nothingness in between what I described.

What other models are in the issue?

^ Sorry, Lily Stewart, Teddy Q and Sarah Brannon are also in McDean's edit.

Kate Moss is in the Alaia ed (only one shot), Irene Hiemstra in a beauty edit by Richard Burbridge and Elin Svahn...otherwise very much UTM heavy in the other edits.

Edit of the Season
Photographer:
Craig McDean
Stylist: Katy England
Models: Kiki Willems, Lily Stewart, Lorena Maraschi, Sarah Abney, Sarah Brannon, Teddy Quinliven, Veronika Vilim & Vittoria Ceretti
Make-Up: Peter Philips
Hair: Cyndia Harvey

visualizing.fashion

Darklands
Photographer:
Richard Burbridge
Stylist: Elin Svahn
Model: Irene Hiemstra
Make-Up: Jen Myles
Hair: Guido Palau

visualizing.fashion

It looks really dated.....

I stopped picking up this magazine a while ago and none of this will change my mind.... It's actually really hard to find in Toronto these days. Love and Pop, yes, but not Another....

"Edit of the Season" looks like it was lifted wholesale from Fabien's Interview.

Thanks Melancholybaby.

Darklands looks so much like the editorials Fabien Baron has been shooting for interview lately, but without the depth and texture.

Do anyone have scans of Edith Frances (new singer of Crystal Castles) photshoot? I would be very grateful!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't a member on TFS when these covers came out, but I was so impressed by them. Naomi's is perfection (as usual), Vittoria constantly delivers and although many people on here find Yasmin boring in print, I thought her cover was one of the best shots I'd seen of her. All three are such unique beauties

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephenandrebecca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->