Avant-garde shoes

I would buy those in a heartbeat, if I found a pair... oh well, a girl can dream! :wub:

I kind of like tow cleavage...but that might be a little much for me.

dego, I believe those are considered by most to be fetish not avant-garde.

fetish being more sexual in nature and the definition of avant-garde is it... "represents a pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm or the status quo, primarily in the cultural realm". granted both are provocative but in a different way.

^^^ I didn't really find them sexual. And they definitely "push the boundaries of what's accepted as the norm." That said, I hate them all. :blink:

I knew as soon as I wrote it, this was going to get interesting...

I agree with you jetsetgo, in the respect that they both push the norm but the difference lies in the last two words, 'cultural realm' (more of an art venue) vs. the 'sexual realm'. its possible that I am the only one who sees those boots in this way...not the first time I see things differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ I get totally that. I agree this is an interesting subject. I think that art can be sexually provactive though (see Louboutin's collab with David Lynch).

The shoes from the video still don't seem sexual in anyway to me. It's the venue that takes them there. It's the clubby disco and presentation that cheapens the "art" and takes them to a low disposable form. Put them on the runway, and we've got a totally different story. The other posts in this thread are definitely more sophisticated, but I think much of the way we perceive things is how it's presented. Much of the art world relies on this theory.

now that you said that, they remind me of these rick owens from the runway, even on the runway there is a fetish theme going on here, but because of the runway presentation they will most likely be categorized as avant-garde. apparently there is a fine line...you gave a great explanation to a point of view, thanks jetsetgo

hintmag.com

Attachments

• 9136cf96bf2bb1efa5212344a7c636f7.jpg
    9136cf96bf2bb1efa5212344a7c636f7.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 23
It's great to even think these things through. Thank you for getting my mind moving. :heart:

those rick owens are avantgarde.. the ones in the video have been done before.
im more interested in avantgarde shoes that become acceptable to the footwear designers to create and sold in masses...
rick owens has for sure tried for a couple seasons now :smile: i still dont like them though :(

It's funny how people like those Rick Owens' heels, but then detest the nearly identical pairs in the video. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just saying.

It's funny how people like those Rick Owens' heels, but then detest the nearly identical pairs in the video.

Of course, you have to be a real fashion designer to gain any sort of recognition on these forums. What category of judgement would people here otherwise use to know if they like something or not? Surely not their own taste...

^That is so wrong. Even certain styles by the popular Louboutin is nayed by some people here, so most forum members are able to judge from there own taste.

There are also environments where YOUR taste is common, so it is definitely not more unique or independent than the other forum members'.

Dego & Seanut No one above said they liked the Rick Owen boots. They were simple called avante garde. I may not agree with Leyla's point of view, but please read carefully before rushing to judgement.

Zarina Great points, and very true.

not as many fashion designers on this board as fashion wearers with lots of opinions and that's what makes the board rock and roll. I would love to see what tFS'ers regard as Avant garde style shoes... this is going somewhere. some desigenrs can cross over from time to time and others are deep into it for good.

as a shoe buyer I lean towards Avant garde styling, I can be in a shoe store and key in on the "weird shoes" in the back right away...but sometimes they are too "ugly" to wear even though they intrigue me...but then there is that one pair that I've been waiting for my whole life and its screaming "art, culture, fashion for you". love when that happens.

Rick Owens is avant garde based on his design theory and those boots push the envelope even further. Intriguing for sure.

I love your appreciation of all things different...may you hear the scream of the perfect shoes often!
:flower:

Knowing Rick, I'm sure the boots are fetish-inspired, but it's hardly the same shoe and it's styled in a completely different way. Context is everything--the shoe really doesn't look, walk or quack the same way on the runway. :huh:

I guess I am contradicting jetsetgo's very eloquent point, but the difference between avant-garde and sexually deviant is determined by context, no? It's not inherent to shape of the shoe itself, I don't think. :ermm:

love this thread, it's just getting more interesting all the time. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarajevoblues
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->