Boston Street Style

Reaction score
I would jsut like some peoples input on what they think of street trends, I would also like to say this is a thread based on curiosity for other peoples opinions. Thanks.

last time i was in boston was a couple years ago, the women seemed fatter and preppier than new york women, lots of north face and kate spade walking around.

i think boston style is similar to new york style, but we're much less obbsessed with trends, and favor classic/preppy looks.

Boston fashion has got a lot better recently with the arrival of some cooler boutiques, but they still are nowhere near as experimental as NYC. It is true, people are preppier here, as Jenimacto said, but I would be very reluctant to characterize Bostonians as "fatter and preppier than New York women." I haven't seen Kate Spade too much on Boston streets in the last couple of years, either. When I worked on Newbury, I saw a lot of Gucci and Louis Vuitton bags, but now there are a lot more Marc Jacobs bags and some Balenciaga.

One important point is that Boston dress on Newbury Street is very different from, say, downtown or Government Center, though--so it depends on where you are. Since there are so many colleges and universities, I think there is forever an influx of different styles of dress from younger people, which is good.

I lived in Boston for three years and it's unstylish. Students from abroad, people out for a stroll on Newbury Street and maybe 5% of the people out at nightspots temper my statement a teeny bit. I'm not knocking it. It's a fun place and has a lot going for it but fashion isn't one of them.

In Predential Mall, I saw a lady w/ a LV dog-carrier. So cute!

I don't think that Boston is necessarily unfashionable. However, we don't have definitive unique styles and trends that are ours, unlike NYC and Japan.

I think Boston can be very fashionable but not anywhere near NYC, but I do like some of trends on Newbury street because I do see a lot of sweaters scarves, and fall/winter things from about october til usually mid april. I think one disadvantage Boston had is the lack of some major designers, Theres no places to get Dior, YSL, Versace ( Coutoure yes, but the other stuff no), but we do have Louis and a few other stores on Newbury street which hold it down. But I dig the vibe going on, too many Burberry scarves however.

Boston isn't unfashionable, but it will never rival NYC mainly because the fashion industry resides in NYC--some production and numerous corporate offices for global brands. There's no "fashion district" in Boston where large fashion houses (upscale, high-end) and corporations (Liz Claiborne -type companies that own numerous smaller brands like Juicy), do business on a daily basis.

There's a difference, and I think that's fine. I don't think people expect to go to Boston and be blown away by fashion, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement and say that no one dresses well--the students and people who stroll Newbury are a large portion of Boston's population--one in four people on the streets of Boston is a student, so there is definitely a demand for better shopping, which explains the recent arrival of a Marc Jacobs boutique, and the continued popularity Louis Boston, Saks, Neiman Marcus, and a bunch of tiny boutiques. Historically Boston is way more conservative in dress (not in politics, though, hehe), a bit more cerebral, and *cold*, lol. While I think NYC definitely has an edge over Boston in fashion (with good reason since so much of the industry is based there), it is sort of like comparing apples and oranges...

Im kicking up this old thread.

Im considering a move to Boston..........and wondering how the fashion/styles/trends are for this city.

Is it mostly collegiate??

It's got to be better still than where I am now.:lol:

Atelier said:
I lived in Boston for three years and it's unstylish. Students from abroad, people out for a stroll on Newbury Street and maybe 5% of the people out at nightspots temper my statement a teeny bit. I'm not knocking it. It's a fun place and has a lot going for it but fashion isn't one of them.

I agree with you.... I really don't see too many stylish people when I go into Boston.
Lots of students and usual trend groups... goth, preppy,"punk"....
alot of hip hop type style...A LOT.

When someone is dressed welll they sure stick out to me.

Anyone have any pics to post?

Boston is the most pretentious city in the USA. Just because Harvard is in your city doesn't mean you went there! I grew up in Maine though, so I may be biased. Also, it's so much fun to drive in the city. It's a little out of your control. I was with my friend trying to get to the North End (MIKE'S PASTERIES!!!) and ended up in Chinatown.

The one style that sticks out to me is "preppy," but quite a boring kind of preppy. Newbury street is all tourists anyways.

I find the only stylish people I see here are when I'm shopping at a store I like.

However, the Globe this Thursday is going to have a feature on the 25 most stylish Bostonians, so maybe we'll get some pics and can talk about how not stylish they are :P

edited to add: I kind of like that people here aren't so into fashion, it makes it easier to be unique. You can be trendy and people don't perceive it as trendy because no one else has a clue, and you always come across as more elegant than others without even having to try too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
mundodabolsa said:
edited to add: I kind of like that people here aren't so into fashion, it makes it easier to be unique. You can be trendy and people don't perceive it as trendy because no one else has a clue, and you always come across as more elegant than others without even having to try too hard.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

hahahaha.

this thread is wicked funny.

there's absolutely no such thing as boston street style.

i'm moving to new york!

I always see LV speedys and tracksuits in Boston. I really only hang around the airport though, but a lot of people really dress up for air travel. :rolleyes:

um, Harvard isn't in Boston, it's just near it. As are a lot of good LAC's. Anyway, I'd like to visit.

^ She's right... Harvard is in Cambridge which is right near Boston....
I actually think I see more stylish people in Cambridge than downtown Boston.

Oh, and in Boston you can't throw a shoe without hitting some guy in either a Patriot's or Red Sox jersey or hat...or sweatshirt.
Big sports town.

Hehe oops, I knew that :P (I obviously don't go to Harvard.)

well you guys are not making it sound very interesting for me. LOL.

I guess its defintely better than Florida, and DC. DC everyone was very professional .... suits etc because most of them worked for law firms or on the hill.

but Ive been told and read lately that Boston is trying to become NYC, and getting more involved in style/fashion etc as a whole????

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->