Boston Vintage Shopping

AmericanBaby

Reaction score
Besides the Garment District what other places are there for good vintage

P.S. Besides the closet and 2nd time around (i know about those)

Bobby's From Boston, in the South End. That's the best vintage location in Boston. It is real vintage, with accompanying prices; if you are looking for designer consignment, then the Closet is really the only place to go.

Thanks for the heads up on Bobby's (i've heard of it but i thought it was for men) but if i'm looking for designer consignment i'll make the trip to INA in nolita or soho

Actually, there's one in PackardsCorner. I dont remember the exact location or name, but I was actually quite impressed. I was there about 2 yrs ago and I found sooooo much stuff there, including a Dior Monsieur cardi (Made In England--obviously pre-Slimane) and 2 vintage Lacoste sweaters w/ blue alligators..and the furniture selection was pretty good too..

Ive heard JP (Jamaica Plain) has excellent thrift-stores too, but I couldnt tell you which ones or where. My former co-worker said one of them is off the beaten path & looks like a total s-hole from the outside, but once inside, you'll find a great stock of A LOT of vintage Levis in mint condition.

Best of luck if you find 'em!

BTW--Bobbys? Never heard of that one..Where in the S. End is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
19 Thayer St in (ugh) "SoWa." It does have a lot more men's than women's. It is this weird hidden gem in Boston, but everyone outside of Boston knows about it--like if a Hollywood movie needs period clothing, they call Bobby. He has the storefront in the South End, but he also has an enormous warehouse, which is hard to get access to if you aren't in the "industry." I've picked up some pieces that look like they walked off of some very current designer runways. But, like any place like this, you need to dig, and visit often..

TrophyBrown said:
Actually, there's one in PackardsCorner. I dont remember the exact location or name, but I was actually quite impressed. I was there about 2 yrs ago and I found sooooo much stuff there, including a Dior Monsieur cardi (Made In England--obviously pre-Slimane) and 2 vintage Lacoste sweaters w/ blue alligators..and the furniture selection was pretty good too..

Ive heard JP (Jamaica Plain) has excellent thrift-stores too, but I couldnt tell you which ones or where. My former co-worker said one of them is off the beaten path & looks like a total s-hole from the outside, but once inside, you'll find a great stock of A LOT of vintage Levis in mint condition.

Best of luck if you find 'em!

BTW--Bobbys? Never heard of that one..Where in the S. End is it?

Is the place your talking about called Amvets on Brighton Ave?

To be perfectly honest, I really dont even remember..I went there 2 yrs ago at 10am on a Sunday morning after a HEAVY HEAVY nite of drinking..Big blur everything was..

Bobbys in SoWa? Luckily, I have nothing to do tomorrow, so I'll check it out..Thanks for the tip kLm..

I've been really curious about vintage stuff in Boston as well...
Have any of you been successful at finding good deals or is everything still really expensive in terms of designer finds?

In terms of designer finds, definitely check out TheCloset & SecondTime Around on Newbury...At TheCloset, I found a ($60) PaulSmith sweater w/ a bow&arrow print on it, and my friend found a beautiful blue striped ($1??) YSL dress (which she had FRAMED and turned it into a very interesting interior design piece for her bedroom)..I think those places are great if youre craving something "designer" but cant necessarily afford it at that moment..

thanks eugenius .. i'll definitely have to check those places out when i get the chance..
my problem is that i can never find anyone to go with me! i'm sure i'll be able to fix that though..

try hadassah, which is in packard's corner. they actually have lots of designer stuff for very cheap. i get most of my work clothes there. i snagged a moschino skirt and some armani items as well. you can also always bargain with the cashier so don't be intimidated by some of the prices ($10 for a skirt=no way!)

just down the street on brighton ave. is urban renewals, my absolute favorite. i've lived in boston for a year and go thrifting a few times a week. i've found the best stuff here. i like to dig for my vintage, and this place is just an undecorated warehouse with TONS of clothes. the prices are decent because they don't have dressing rooms where people can steal stuff.

thanks porkchopgirl ... i pass by urban renewals all the time and never have the chance to go in ... I'll try hadassah as well when I get the chance since they are both so close by... thanks :flower:

bobby's from boston is great. he supplied a lot of the clothes for the movie 'walk the line".

i like the closet and 2nd time around as well.

there is also a consignment store in davis sq. somerville that has some fancy stuff for cheap prices. i think its called "poor little rich girl".

^^ i really need to check all these places out one of these days... after i've saved up some more cash though because i really should not be shopping right now :P

i have cousins who live in davis square so i'll definitely have to take a look at the consignment shop next time i'm there..

anyway, i went to the pop up vintage shop done by "this old thing" NY shop..

bought a few things but also got some info on the next pop up occasion which will be the saturday after thanksgiving, 25th of november from 12-6 PM

They're calling it "Silver Saturday" and it's more accessories focused, with local designer bags and tons of jewelry (free champagne as well)

it will be held at the same location at :
Design of Boston
285 Causeway St in the North End.. it's about a 5 min walk from North Station

**edit - here is a link to the stuff i bought, posted in the thrift scores thread http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/2426796-post341.html

ChrissyM, maybe I shouldn't tempt you with another place to shop at :innocent:...but for your future reference :wink:, I hear Oona's in Harvard Square on 1210 Massachusetts Ave (Cross Street: Bow Street) is also good for vintage. They've been there for over 30 years. I've walked past it, but haven't been inside yet.

dreamecho you're leading me toward a very dangerous place!!

can't say that i mind though :innocent:

thanks for the heads up, i'll have to check it out sometime when I've got some money to spare.. i've got to be good and save up for christmas spending!

im not too keen on oona's actually.

i like the goodwill in davis square. its among one of the largest goodwills and its where a lot of rich folks get rid of their clothes.

lucy, thanks for the info about goodwill in davis square! i'll have to go there sometime...soon!

just out of curiosity, why don't you like oona's?

Well you didn't ask me, but...

personally I find oonas to be more of a place to find stuff for costumes, not necessarily halloween but more theatrical costumes, not so much for clothing I'd actually wear. But then again I suck at vintage shopping, I just lack that knack for finding things, so maybe it's a me problem and not an oonas problem :P

the goodwill HQ in the south end has auctions the first weekend in the month. ive never gone, but it certainly sounds interesting...
they also have a section in the store that has higher end clothes for less than 15$. ive gotten some nanette lepore dresses there.

oonas has too many jokey clothes (bet lots of people are trolling it for costumes this time of the year) and i think its pricey for what it is...

and next time you are in new york, check out the city opera thrift store. its pricey, but it has some really nice items...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DVV
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->