Boston Vintage Shopping

has anyone checked out the south end open market for clothes? i've never been....

another good idea is checking out the brimfield antiques show in harvard, ma.
they have TONS of clothes. they do it two weeks out of the year. and its the largest antique show in the country i think. ive never been, but members of my family have gotten amazing things there.

lucy how do you know all these things and all these places :woot:

it's amazing! :heart:

http://www.brimfieldshow.com/

here's the official page...we've got a long wait until the next one.

another good idea is checking out private school rummage sales and synagogue rummage sales.

i went to a synagogue sale in newton a few years ago and scored some prada lambskin boots. when i was trying to pay for it "ooh prada, dont you know who this is?". i said "pra-who"? i pretended i had never heard of the brand.

theres a very good rummage sale in beverly this weekend at the shore country day school (kerry healey's children go there - its that fancy). last year, i got some manolo blahnik snakeskin shoes for a dollar and some nice dresses. and they have a special section where the fancy stuff goes. a few hours later its fill a bag for a dollar.

i would reccomend y'all go there this saturday or make a note of it for next year.

unfortunately, i wont be able to go on saturday as im leaving town, but my mother and i are going to attempt to sneak into the pre-sale on friday. :lol: its that good.

thanks, chrissym!

there's a new vintage store in cambridge on mass ave between porter and harvard squares called "history". it just opened this week.

there's not a whole lot in the store but there are a lot of fabulous pieces (ie. ysl rive gauche, bergdorf, courreges, jp gaultier, balenciaga etc). prices ranged from between 20$ to 200$. all of it looks dry cleaned and there are some new items there as well.

im not sure how long the store is going to last seeing as how expensive some of the pieces were, but the items are all consistently good. its worth checking out especially if you are a smaller sized and sick of going to the garment district and coming up empty.

there are two racks of mens items.

lucy you're amazing! that store is 1 block away from my apt, I had NO idea it's a clothing store, I don't know why I put it in my head that it was going to be a hair salon and forgot to check back...

thank you! thank you!

Three cheers for lucy! :clap: :clap: :clap: You just keep on hooking us up.

I live a few minutes away from Harvard Sq., so I will definitely be checking out History very soon!

another new store! this one is a high end consignment store in jamaica plain. one that i havent been to though. maybe ill check it out after the holidays...

eva b consignment
603 centre street

http://www.evabconsignment.com

story and photo from the boston herald. the photo is of a dress at the garment district. that's a pretty awesome dress, imo.

And Goodwill to all... As post-Christmas donations pour in, thrift shops lure savvy shoppers
Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Forget the pre-Christmas crush ’n’ rush - this post-New Year’s period is ripe with deals for the uber-thrifty.
Those privy to shopping bargains wait until after the holidays to hit local consignment shops, Goodwill centers and other thrift stores, bypassing malls and department stores to spend that leftover Christmas cash.
And it’s all because this time of year many folks are clearing out their closets, making New Year’s resolutions and beating the Dec. 31 deadline to get a tax deduction through donation.
“Aside from moving day in September, this is the No. 1 time of year for donations,” said Elizabeth Donovan, manager of Garment District in Cambridge. “They’re just pouring in.”
At places such as Garment District, Jamaica Plain’s Boomerangs and Urban Renewals of Allston, the outpouring of donations means secondhand deals get passed down to those who search for them.
“It would make sense,” said 33-year-old Somerville resident Angela Coraccio, who despite not being “as fanatical about it” as she used to be, has been an avid thrift shopper for years. “People get all kinds of new stuff for the holidays, and then it’s out with the old stuff.”
Diego Sanchez, public relations director for the AIDS Action Committee, the group that founded Boomerangs in 1996, said the JP shop and its nearby donation center at the Sam Adams Brewery have been “booming” with donations.
Boomerangs manager Jasmine Crafts said any donor giving to the store is supporting the AAC and thus eligible for a tax break come April 15. Many donations come in the form of excess clothing people don’t need anymore or, as she put it, “that Christmas gift that didn’t quite work out.”
And then there’s the more obvious reason.
“This is the time of year we make things called New Year’s resolutions, and people attempt to create order in their life,” Sanchez said. With that comes a slew of fresh starts, from the closet to the kitchen.
“There’s this sense of, ‘It’s New Year’s, I have to get rid of stuff,’ ” added Donovan. “Plus people are thinking, ‘I gotta look good this time of year.’ ”
That adds up to shopper’s bliss, if you know when and where to look.
Allston thrift shop aficionado Jussi Gamache said seasonal planning is the key to finding bargain-basement deals.
“In my experience, the cycle is related to what students are doing,” said Gamache. “Summer is better since they’re mostly gone, August is the best since the ones that are here are getting rid of stuff before they move and October is terrible because they’re all looking for costumes.”

Attachments

• garment.jpg
    garment.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 77
i went to the expanded poor little rich girl in davis square! it was great! i tried on an azzedine alaia lace up skirt for 20$ but it was too small. it has the largest dressing rooms ive seen around here too.
they have a lot of items...even large sizes too.
check it out!

who else didn't know that everything on the second floor of the garment district was 50% off this weekend??? i'm completely kicking myself. but-tomorrow is going to be all fresh stuff!

i knew about it...but i was just there last week and i didnt find anything.
i plan on going there on thursday to check out the new items.

the next time they'll do the 50% off thing is in the summer.

the first floor has been taken over by the boston costume store that was originally in the theatre district.

i knew about it too.. i was out of town all weekend so i couldn't make it...

i haven't been there in a while...

let us know if you see anything good lucy :flower:

giving this thread a little bump :wink:

has anyone had any good vintage/thrift finds lately?

if you mention lucky magazine at history vintage on mass ave you get 20% off through the end of june.

50% off everything at the Garment Disctrict this weekend! (Friday-Sunday)

This poor thread needs to be rejuvenated!

I finally went to History in Cambridge (as mentioned by lucy :flower:). It's so adorable; I love the stories that accompany each piece. I took some pics and did a write up for my blog. Here's a sampling of the goods...

historyvintage1.jpg

historyvint_pinktop1.jpg
historyvint_pinktop2.jpg

historyvint_jacket1.jpg
historyvint_jacket2.jpg

You can view the rest here.

I've actually had such great luck with the Goodwill in Roxbury - it's HUGE! And extremely well-organized/stocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->