Chanel Haute Couture F/W 05.06 Paris

liberty33r1b

Reaction score
Ahead of the collection, here's an interesting article:

AFP INTERVIEW: A lifetime's vocation for Chanel head seamstress
Sun Jul 3, 5:54 PM ET

As head seamstress at one of Chanel's haute couture workshops for the past three years, Martine Houdet has the challenging task of bringing to life the dream dresses conjured up by top designer Karl Lagerfeld.

Ahead of this week's autumn-winter 2005-06 couture shows in Paris, the workshop was a model of calm and industry as Madame Martine, as she is known, was busy making sure all the last stitches, tucks and pleats were being put in place.

Every season, as she waits impatiently for Lagerfeld's orders, "I say to myself, 'What's he going to get us to do?' and each time it's a surprise," said the 56-year-old veteran of the rarefied world of haute couture.

In the atelier at 31, rue Cambon, overlooking the grey rooftops of the French capital, Lagerfeld first goes over his minutely drawn sketches with the head seamstresses, explaining exactly what he wants.

Then Madame Martine has to interpret the drawings and decide which of her seamstresses will make up the first test model sewn in a plain cream-coloured cloth.

The draft is displayed on a mannequin to be shown to Lagerfeld, who may make final adjustments before giving the green light for the design to be made up in the material he has chosen.

For Madame Martine, the journey which was to lead her into the world of haute couture began at an early age when she would spend much of her time with her grandmother, a seamstress living on the outskirts of Paris.

After earning a diploma in dressmaking, Madame Martine decided early on that she was only interested in pursuing a career with the best of the fashion houses, explaining: "Otherwise, it wasn't worth the trouble."

In 1966 she got her start with Pierre Cardin, joining the team just eight days from a collection. Her talents led her quickly up the ranks.

"I suppose it's a gift," said the seamstress who loves working in satins, crepes and muslins.

"I love everything that is light, and floaty -- it's harder to work on," she added.

When the workshop she was employed in closed down in 1977, Madame Martine quit Cardin and joined Christian Dior a year later, under creative director Marc Bohan.

"The work was interesting, but completely different. It was really luxury couture, with finishings done to perfection," she said.

In 1991 she joined Chanel, and is now responsible for a workshop of some 20 people, one of three ateliers at the venerable Paris fashion house.

Impeccably dressed in a white shirt, armed with her black quilted pin cushion embroidered with the double-C logo, Madame Martine eagerly awaits the "most exciting moment" of her job when a new collection is in the making.

She hates routine and has always liked haute couture because "there is always research to be done -- every time it's different -- to create what the designer wants".

"Working for clients in between two collections is fine, but we know the design already," added Madame Martine, who flies at least four times a year to New York and elsewhere for sessions with clients.

She defends haute couture as the height of her profession, marrying beautiful materials with perfect finishings, and welcomes moves by Chanel to preserve the traditional arms of couture such as embroidery, feather-work and bootmaking.

"It would be a shame if they were lost. We have to safeguard these traditional professions," she said.

Madame Martine has only two regrets: that she never worked for Yves Saint Laurent and never met Coco Chanel. "She was a legend, an exceptional woman of exceptional character. I would have loved to have heard her talk when she was alive, even if it was only to tell me off," she laughed.

the first pics are in!!

capt.par10407071205.france_fashion_par104.jpg

capt.par10507071206.france_fashion_par105.jpg

i think seeing something nice like this now is a welcome distraction for many of us who also watch the news about london unfold.
i still can't believe everything that happened....

I was so looking forward to this but with whats happened in London and the fact my best friend is there I just can't think of anything else.

one more:

capt.par11807071310.france_fashion_par118.jpg

i really like this dress, but, somehow, the shoes disturb me....they make the outfit look like it was from the 80s....

It's nice to take your mind off to something else... im not really that impressed with what ive seen as far for some reason it dosent strike me as pure and elegang and luxurious as i think Chanel is..

Maybe it will change when i see a few more pics :smile: Thanks liberty for posting :flower:

PARIS HAUTE COUTURE: LAGERFELD UNVEILS 'HIDDEN LUXURY' AT CHANEL
Received Thursday, 7 July 2005 13:03:00 GMTPARIS, July 7 (AFP) - Karl Lagerfeld tricked the Paris fashion crowd on Thursday with his dazzling autumn-winter 2005-06 haute couture collection for Chanel, concealing his gorgeous gowns and cocktail dresses under lavish coats.
The German designer explained his message in two words after the impressive show, which was staged at a theater warehouse in northern Paris -- "hidden luxury". Indeed it was.
On a pristine white catwalk in the round, Lagerfeld sent out about 50 models, all sporting resplendent satin or taffeta black coats embellished with classic couture finishings -- feathers, beads, pearls, ribbons, tulle and lace.
As the army of Chanel women -- their hair teased sky-high and adorned with black ribbons -- marched into the fashion arena together, journalists and buyers could sense that greater things were to come.
A glimpse of hot pink satin here, a sliver of yellow silk there -- and presto! The models unbuttoned their coats to reveal Lagerfeld's suits, gowns and cocktail dresses, each matching the fabulous lining of their coats.
For daytime, the German designer offered prim powder pink or peach suits or halter-neck tweed dresses with high waists. For the more daring couture client, he paired a crystal-embroidered black jacket with leather trousers.
Black and white are the colors of the season at Chanel -- one strapless cocktail dress and the accompanying coat's lining was entirely embroidered to resemble the house's trademark tweed.
For evening, a rare short coat lined with petal pink ribbons opened to reveal a frothy sleeveless black tulle cocktail dress. A full-length coat with ostrich feathers masked the obligatory sparkling LBD -- little black dress.
Lagerfeld offered magnificent black capes over a black and white gown adorned with pearls and sprays of sequins, or a voluminous pink taffeta dress with a black lace bodice and a bubble hem.
The dream gowns, dresses and coats showcased the painstaking work of the so-called "petites mains" -- the legions of seamstresses who bring the sketches of haute couture designers to life in workshops across Paris.
Lagerfeld emerged from backstage to join his final model on stage -- the bride, who dropped a full black cape to reveal a high-collared white gown with a flared full skirt that was embroidered with an intricate rose pattern.
"Extraordinary! Amazing! Mr Lagerfeld is a complete genius. I can't wait to wear it," gushed Oscar-winning actress Gwyneth Paltrow.
France's Christian Lacroix was to unveil his winter couture creations later Thursday, and Italian designer Riccardo Tisci was to make his much-anticipated debut at Givenchy.

I don't know..I can't judge yet. But from the few photos we've seen I think Lagerfeld might take a more tailored and constructed approach on this one. At the end of the day, though, I'm confident he will beat every other couture collection.B)

I'm not blown away... so far the only one I actually like is the first pick, and I don't even like it that much.

Then again, after seeing the Dior collection I gained higer expectations...

Don't like it at all actually this is very disapointing, somhow the 'magic' is missing.

It looks so 'old' so done before.

I'm sorry to say that I may be disappointed..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenn888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->