I also thought
photos:style.com & myfair lady
This + This = My Fair Lady
263864838.jpg
+
263864839.jpg
=
263864840.jpg

Could someone please tell me why there were masks over the statues located at the beginning of the runway (like one had a crocodile head and the other had a huge bubble head)?

is it just me or has the house of christian dior come to rely too much on anniversaries and celebrations of that ilk? while the modern haute couture indelibly indebted to galliano for breathing life and interest into the couture -- with the egyptian show some years back -- it's just too easy for him to keep doing these "greatest hits" collections. john galliano's one of the few couturiers capable of challenging the very fundamentals of fashion, he shouldn't waste it.....

I dont' know if someone has already mentioned this (I didn't read all of this thread) but if you go to www.parismodes.tv and click on the side bar "paris_red carpet dior" you can see a snippet of Galliano and the flamenco show!!

10th avenue - ''I am free'' is the song i could identify apart from Madonna's ''Isaac''.

Zazie

^ I don't think that's the only reason it isn't being critiscized because, themes aside, they are beautifully executed garments if nothing else. The couture technique is there in all it's glory, so to that end he did his job as couturier very well.

I just feel like, if people are going to rail on Galliano for pillaging art history then doesn't Saint Laurent deserve the same treatment for beading Van Gogh's irises onto a bodice or using Picasso-esque appliques on a cape.

Honestly, most of the confections are so busy, i can't tell if the highest couture techniques are used, just have to *assume* they are. :doh: There was a closeup of a white bodice posted and the embroidery, a few rows of diamante, each small row accented with a dangling plastic baroque pearl, really made me wince. The effect is ... cheap and tacky. With every other wedding/pageant gown designer out there producing 2 m diameter pouf skirts and corsets by the millions, I'm really not impressed by the technical feat in making gigantic skirts and flounces. Chanel, not really to my taste, is nonetheless far superior in show-casing the atelier's haute couture work this time - the delicacy rather than the heavy-handedness makes it far...to use an unsatisfactory word, "classier". Ultimately, the whole rigmarole - Versailles, famous Art, your-money's-worth gowns the size of small homes - tends to appeal to a certain type of haute couture customer.....B)

My criticism was not so much directed at his use of Art as "inspiration" but at the poverty of the results. I'd say the same if YSL had simply embroidered irises or sunflowers on gowns and and declared them as "Van Gogh" inspired, but then YSL was important for defining a whole new style for women, not for quoting artworks. Of course Artworks have always been "quoted" as they are such powerful symbols - I love Marcel Duchamp's wicked Dadaist take on the Mona Lisa, and that in itself is a piece of art, with all the implications of the Surrealist/Dadaist movement/method/manifesto behind the gesture. Fashion's take on art, from Mondrian dresses to now this costume parade, has been somewhat less successful. Look at the Royal Antwerp Academy's students take on ethnic dress - they are far more interesting, really going for the essence, and I'm sure they would have made much more of such a theme than this effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this collection is as cut and dry as Galliano copying works of art. Some of the pieces do seem to be taken from exact works, but others seem far more abstracted and more influenced by an artist's technique or color scheme. Morgane's outfit, for instance, is meant to be from Botticelli. This is the only one we know for certain because she said it herself in an interview. Her dress, hair, and makeup would not come out of a Botticelli painting at all. Instead, it seems that Galliano was more influenced by the colors and slighty more painterly style that he had (for his time that is)

Christian Dior FW 2007 Couture Model List

Gisele Bündchen (o)

Raquel Zimmerman
Mariacarla Boscono
Helena Christensen
Magdalena Frackowiak
Olga Sherer
Mariya Markina
Michaela Kocianova
Irina Lazareanu
Angela Lindvall
Vivane Orth
Melody Woodin
Ana Mihajlovic
Amber Valleta
Romina Lanaro
Alexandra Agoston
Vlada Rosylakova
Missing one here
Sasha Pivovarova
Doutzen Kroes
Kinga Rajzak
Jessica Stam
Stella Tennant
Tatyana Usova
Alison Nix
Marta Berzkalna
Alana Zimmer
Naomi Campbell
Flavia Olivera
Unnamed
Karen Mulder
Coco Rocha
Bruna Tenorio
Iekeliene Stange
Marcelina Sowa
Milana Keller
Natasha Poly
Inguna Butane
Kim Noorda
Linda Evangelista
Lindsay Ellingson
Caroline Trentini
Morgane Dubled
Lily Cole

Shalom Harlow (c)
style.com is wrong on this one. the actual list is

Gisele Bündchen (o)

Raquel Zimmerman
Mariacarla Boscono
Helena Christensen
Magdalena Frackowiak
Olga Sherer
Mariya Markina
Michaela Kocianova
Irina Lazareanu
Angela Lindvall
Vivane Orth
Melody Woodin
Ana Mihajlovic
Amber Valleta
Romina Lanaro
Alexandra Agoston
Vlada Rosylakova
Marta Berkzalna
Sasha Pivovarova
Doutzen Kroes
Kinga Rajzak
Jessica Stam
Stella Tennant
Tatyana Usova
Alison Nix
Linda V (how could they confuse Linda V w/ Marta ill never know)
Alana Zimmer
Naomi Campbell
Flavia Olivera
Anna Chyzh? (Style now has a name for her but im not familiar with her at all. she kinda looks like Meryl Streep's daughter)
Karen Mulder
Coco Rocha
Bruna Tenorio
Iekeliene Stange
Marcelina Sowa
Milana Keller
Natasha Poly
Inguna Butane
Kim Noorda
Linda Evangelista
Lindsay Ellingson
Caroline Trentini
Morgane Dubled
Lily Cole

Shalom Harlow (c)

and dammit, i want confirmation of the artists! when are we going to get it? are we ever going to?

i DON't like the materials and fabrics used in this show
they are kind of boring and stiff
and again, embroidery is just boring

Gisele was absolutely awful in this show. All her poses looked so put on and like she was really trying hard to look classy and elegant.

Gisele was absolutely awful in this show. All her poses looked so put on and like she was really trying hard to look classy and elegant.
I totally adore Gisele, but I got to agree she needs her couture card taken away form her:ninja: It was like she got amnesia and forgot how to model. She was very arrogant and just over the top:doh:

Some of the artists as part of the inspiration are mentioned here..:magic:
PARIS, July 2, 2007 – For all the grandeur of the event—the Orangerie at Versailles at night; the reunion of supermodel notables, from Linda, Naomi, Amber, and Shalom to Gisele on the runway—Dior's 60th anniversary collection had something elegiac about it. John Galliano drew romance and delicacy, rather than his more familiar roaring theatrics, out of a show ostensibly inspired by painters, fashion illustrators, and photographers. In fact, the underlying mood was of respectful homage to two men who devoted their lives to fashion and died too young: Christian Dior himself and Galliano's chief designer, Steven Robinson, who tragically passed away in April while working toward this collection.

A celebration of the achievements of Dior could only open with a redrawn memory of the 1947 New Look, the wasp-waisted, full-skirted silhouette that revolutionized the way women dressed after World War II. Galliano approached it through the artistic landscape that formed Dior's imagination and the great talents who represented his work to the public in magazines. The opening sequence, led by Gisele Bündchen in a black "Bar" suit and Raquel Zimmermann in an ivory circle-skirted dress, caught the black-and-white drama of Irving Penn's photography and the dashed-off pen-and-ink drawings of Eric, Gruau, Bouche, Bérard, and Cocteau. Color came in gradually, first through a hand-tinted 3-D rose whorled center-front on a white bustier dress, then developing into extravagantly realized palettes taken from portraits of women by the Impressionists, Dutch masters, Pre-Raphaelites, and the greats of the Spanish school.

Those color effects were ravishing. Running from the palest pinks through mauve, ice blue, crimson, orange, and emerald, they often appeared to shade from one hue to another in the rich folds of duchesse satin skirts and the tiny-bodiced jackets sitting above them. But if the exquisitely painted ladies made a wondrous display of the arts of the Dior atelier, there was another insistent subtheme rising through the show that put Galliano's personal stamp on the collection he has been orchestrating for ten years. For those who know his Spanish background, the clue was in the flamenco music and the passage of silhouettes drawn from Goya and Zurbarán, as if he had reached back to his roots for courage, as well as technical inspiration. At the end, when he came out costumed like a fight-hardened matador strolling the ring, it seemed less like his usual jokey posturing than an emotional statement.

– Sarah Mower

style.com

dutch masters! other than vermeer who are we talking about? maybe some rubens or hals?

i still wish they would be specific.

I am not sure about other artists and especially, Dutch, but Picasso was definitely at the show... I mean portrait from the series ''faces'' was just on the dress... I am sure you already discussed it here;-)

As to Gisele, Yes, she was like a ''Supermodel Actress'', which in definition means BAD ACTRESS;-) But still she was Great. Even I adore Linda, Naomi, etc, they were acting bit vulgar in a way of exposing their Top Supermodelism;-) but I think They are very models who could do this;-) but on the other hand, this is what I really like in Stella, Helena, Karen who never do this in such an explicit way. But maybe Galliano spoiled them.

Yeah it would be fun if we knew exactly which artists.. Then we could compare the clothes and see how literal the 'translation into clothing' is
I guess this is just Galliano's method of working
For other designers, they like to work with more abstract concepts.. such as 'MILAN, September 27, 2005 – "I wanted to go forward by trying to cancel out nostalgia. " said Miuccia Prada for s/s 06

Gisele wasn't that bad...her walk was good...it just went all downhill when she waved at the crowd. But when she sat down, she became a bumbling fool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abbgg
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->