• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan

Seeing all these comments and the Trailer I REALLY WANNA SEEEE IT!!!!OMFG!!!DYING TO SEE IT ALREADY!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I feel like this movie has probably been over-hyped for me just from reading this thread, lol. I think I will avoid all future reviews until I've seen it for myself!

'Black Swan' featurette - The Costumes

original link provided by Alvedansen :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, i wish i lived in the US! I love all Aronofsky movies i've watched... Can't wait til march for this one :(

can't wait! dying to see it - my boyfriend is already pissed as i tell him every day that we have to go to see that movie and it will open over here in january :wink: so there are still quite some days left to talk about how much i want to see it. i haven't been so excited about a movie for a long time!:woot:

I saw Black Swan yesterday afternoon and I liked it, although I thought some parts of it were kind of strange, Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how much of her own dancing Natalie Portman did in it ?

Seeing all these comments and the Trailer I REALLY WANNA SEEEE IT!!!!OMFG!!!DYING TO SEE IT ALREADY!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I feel the same way :rofl: I'm going to see it on Tuesday when my finals are over. I think this is one film that will live up to my high expectations

The premiere in Bulgaria is as far as 4 feb. :doh: I'm not super excited. I heard a lot of excellent comments and I'm in hectic expectancy. Mila Kunis sound risky for me, but we're gonna see.

I honestly think the less you know about the movie the more surprising and enjoyable it is...the people that I know that allowed to let the reviews and other comments get to them didn't enjoy it as much as my friends that only saw the preview or heard little about it. I saw it twice, but I was just amazed at Mila's character...so effortlessly beautiful

I can't wait to see this movie :buzz: I hate that I have to wait so long...

The screener has leaked.. I think I'll wait but for those who can't there's an extra option :flower:

I honestly think the less you know about the movie the more surprising and enjoyable it is...the people that I know that allowed to let the reviews and other comments get to them didn't enjoy it as much as my friends that only saw the preview or heard little about it. I saw it twice, but I was just amazed at Mila's character...so effortlessly beautiful

I completely agree with you. I restrained myself from reading any reviews or anything that might have spoiled the film for me just a teeny bit and it ended up being one of the best movie experiences I've had in a looong time.

I also agree that the less you know the more you'll be able to enjoy the movie. However, even then my high expectations which were abnormally high for a movie were not quite met. It does deserve a second viewing so I can then get my head around certain events etc.

The film definitely delivered. The best part for me is how the film was always in the perspective of Nina and never lost focus.

My opinion of Natalie Portman as an actress has totally changed. I always thought she was a competent actress, but funnily enough just like her character, she can sometimes hold back which makes her range seem limited. Here, however, she totally commands the screen. She goes through a wide array of emotions. This is the perfect acting vehicle.

I agree. I am not a fan of Natalie, but she was truly amazing in the movie. She deserves all the praise she's getting. Mila, however, doesn't. She was just okay. Honestly her character could have been played by any other actress and I wouldn't have noticed. I think the only reason she got the part was because she looks a lot like Natalie. Barbara Hershey was much better than her, and unfortunately she's getting overlooked. Same with Wino.

Not as good as Perfect Blue (Black Swan is an adaptation of that anime movie, set in the Ballet world and with some plot changes). I was let down :(

There are so many interesting subplots which aren't given nearly enough time, and instead it is a non-stop Natalie Portman overacting vehicle. It's hard to appreciate the psychology of her character when the director only gives you glimpses of her background. Because of that I found it hard to sympathise with the breakdown, which is by far the main part of the film.

Barbara especially, and Winona, deserved twice as much screen time; they were the most interesting and well acted characters. Mila and Vincent don't have good roles unfortunately.

Do not go to see this for the dancing - it is not about dancing and the dance scenes are unimpressive.

Great cinematography

6.5/10

If you enjoyed Black Swan you must watch Perfect Blue! Everything in Black Swan was already done better in Perfect Blue:

Black Swan isn't an adaptation of Perfect Blue, but of Swan Lake. They may have similarities but neither Black Swan or Perfect Blue were the first to introduce the character duality and fame paranoia on cinema.

"Q: Was the film Perfect Blue an inspiration for this film?
Aronofsky: Not really, there are similarities between the films, but it wasn’t influenced by it. It really came out of Swan Lake the Ballet, we wanted to dramatize the ballet, that’s why it’s kind of up here and down there, because ballet is big and small in lots of ways."

filmadelphia.org

Either not a truthful or full answer from him. He bought the rights to Perfect Blue, then he made Black Swan. They are very similar, share the same themes of exploitation, paranoia, stalking, pressure etc, and even have many identical scenes. Swan Lake provides the setting and costumes, like Japanese idol-culture does in Perfect Blue.

All I'm saying is that Perfect Blue should get the credit it deserves. Black Swan hasn't done anything original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->