Demna Gvasalia - Designer, Creative Director of Balenciaga

so glad NYT is here to tell me they’re back! because looking around the streets of nyc I didn’t notice

The article is a little more nuanced than that. It’s basically just saying they’re trying to stage a comeback. The very last line of the article reads: “But the magic that was once there, that sense of gleeful, liberating, absurdist challenge? That still hasn’t come back.”

The article paints the situation perhaps more favorably than is accurate, but it’s not a total endorsement.

A week or so ago Selena Gomez posted a #tbt type photo on Instagram from several years ago in which she happened to be wearing a Balenciaga shirt. When people pointed it out, she deleted the photo and apologized in a subsequent video for offending anyone. That enough is quite a damning assessment of where they stand right now with the general public.

^ Haha yes, it is real. I was mistaken, she didn't actually say it, she posted it in the comments. And then later turned the comments off all together. But of course it's been screenshot. To make matters worse (in the eyes of conspiracy theorists) she was eating ice cream in the photo with the Balenciaga shirt.

image0 (3).jpeg

The article is a little more nuanced than that. It’s basically just saying they’re trying to stage a comeback. The very last line of the article reads: “But the magic that was once there, that sense of gleeful, liberating, absurdist challenge? That still hasn’t come back.”

The article paints the situation perhaps more favorably than is accurate, but it’s not a total endorsement.

A week or so ago Selena Gomez posted a #tbt type photo on Instagram from several years ago in which she happened to be wearing a Balenciaga shirt. When people pointed it out, she deleted the photo and apologized in a subsequent video for offending anyone. That enough is quite a damning assessment of where they stand right now with the general public.
^ Haha yes, it is real. I was mistaken, she didn't actually say it, she posted it in the comments. And then later turned the comments off all together. But of course it's been screenshot. To make matters worse (in the eyes of conspiracy theorists) she was eating ice cream in the photo with the Balenciaga shirt.

View attachment 1231406
Balenciaga might actually have to go into a hard rebrand (Hedi-level) after Demna's departure.

This is really bad if people are actually getting offended solely by the sight of a logo.

I'm a bit divided. On the one hand, it's a shame to give in to the online reactionaries who are harassing people over this controversy. On the other hand, recent-era Balenciaga was so reliant on branding and trends and that influencer set making their hideous wares seem desirable to the broader public. So it's sort of Demna et al. getting their just deserts that Balenciaga has seemingly become so toxic, people are afraid to be seen with identifiable branding. Because who was buying the brand for its beauty? It was all about obscene logos. Take that away and what's left? There are dozens of other brands clamoring for the same consumers. A hard rebrand is probably for the best.

I am divided too because I care about the couture atelier Balenciaga/Kering set up. It is a really nice workshop with extremely talented seamstresses and I want them to thrive, with or without Demna.
That depends on whether the suits (and eventually the replacement designer) wish to continue the venture after Demna's departure.

I doubt that the replacement would want to continue the same sales model though. I seeing going more into that traditionalist way of doing things. Kering could do with an actually fully operational Couture house in their portfolio.

I don't think a show for a pre-collection in the US is the right solution to Balenciaga's problems, definitely not under the current creative direction. They've also just announced that Isabelle Huppert is their brand ambassador now.

WWD EXCLUSIVE: Balenciaga Will Show in Los Angeles in December
Demna is to unveil the brand's fall 2024 women's and men's collections on Dec. 2.
I don't think a show for a pre-collection in the US is the right solution to Balenciaga's problems, definitely not under the current creative direction. They've also just announced that Isabelle Huppert is their brand ambassador now.
Is the US where the brand is under the most scrutiny? Such a bad idea.

I keep wondering why Kering refuses to fire Balenciaga, then I remember that Kering is too unsteady (de Sarno's debut at Gucci, Valentino acquisition, the shakeup in management) to fire Demna or Charbit at this point in time.

Does anyone know why he has moved to Geneva and left Zurich?
His whole team used to commute every week and they had a studio there..
I am really curious of the reason

They have to face their more difficult market now. And it will be interesting to see the celebrities that will attend…Celebs that are out of the Balenciaga world I mean.

I’m so sad that Isabelle is a brand ambassador.
She is a legendary actress and she has been linked with so many brands and had friendships with so many designers that it’s a bit of pity to have her locked with one brand.

She used to wear Balenciaga under NG, even in her movies, she is friend with Armani, Tisci…She was a friend of Karl. She was also a YSL woman under Stefano.. even Vuitton under NG.
She looked terrible in that last Balenciaga show.

Balenciaga is moving back into their original headquarters at 10 and 12 Avenue Georges V:
EXCLUSIVE: Balenciaga Returns to Original Headquarters With Expanded Presence
The brand is doubling the size of its couture salons at 10 Avenue George V in Paris, and adding new offices for creative director Demna and his teams.

By JOELLE DIDERICH

JULY 20, 2023, 1:00AM

PARIS — Balenciaga is returning to its original headquarters. The brand is doubling the size of its couture salons at 10 Avenue George V in Paris, adding new offices and commemorating the occasion with a plaque on the façade of the building explaining its historic significance.

Guests at the house’s fall 2023 haute couture show on July 5 got an early peek at the expanded premises, which grew from the original salons to neighboring number 12.

The spaces added to the combined building’s six levels will house creative director Demna and his teams, in addition to the Balenciaga couture and ready-to-wear ateliers, the house said in a statement shared exclusively with WWD.

The spaces will feature high-tech updates and modern touches such as dark, smoked glass partitions, and should be ready by the end of this year or in early 2024.

Balenciaga took advantage of the renovation to shoot its winter 2023 advertising campaign, which shows actress Isabelle Huppert and models posing against drywall and building materials. Construction workers can be glimpsed in the accompanying video.

Founder Cristóbal Balenciaga established his house at 10 Avenue George V in 1937 and lived, worked and held collection presentations there until his retirement in 1968. He even named his first fragrance, Le Dix, after the place.

“This address was extremely important to him and is iconic to us,” Cédric Charbit, chief executive officer of Balenciaga, said in a statement.

Balenciaga revived the address in 2021 when Demna presented his first couture collection in the newly restored salons. Last year it opened a street-level Balenciaga Couture Store downstairs offering limited-edition clothes, shoes, accessories and high-tech objects.

“In July 2023, Balenciaga expanded the couture salon, doubling it in size to put couture at scale as couture and creativity are our fundamentals,” said Charbit.

“The relocation of our headquarters with couture and creative functions to our original address is a homecoming reuniting the past and present that is not only a physical expansion but also an expansion of the house’s legacy and ateliers. I’m proud of this important milestone and historical moment for Balenciaga,” the executive added.

Charbit and corporate functions will be based in separate renovated headquarters at 16-18 Rue Vaneau. In the meantime, some members of the Balenciaga team continue to work from their prior headquarters, shared with parent company Kering, in the former Laennec hospital dating back to the 17th century.

Balenciaga is gradually resuming a normal calendar of campaigns and announcements following the release last fall of two separate campaigns that sparked outrage on social media, prompting apologies from Charbit and Demna. Huppert, who appeared in one of the controversial ads, has not commented on the furor and walked in the recent couture show.

The winter 2023 images were shot by Brooklyn-based photographer Tyler Mitchell, best known for his photo of Beyoncé for the cover of U.S. Vogue. Alongside Huppert and female model Vittoria Ceretti, the ads feature male models Arthur del Beato, Nyawurh Chuol, Yura Nakano and Khadim Sock.

The collection includes deconstructed tailoring, with signature pieces such as tracksuits, denim and leather jackets, suits and jeans reinvented in hybrid versions. They are complemented by dressier items including pleated blouses with exaggerated shoulders, lace evening gowns and faux-mink coats.

Among the accessories in the fall lineup are the Monaco bag line, the Anatomic and Biker boot styles, the 3XL sock shoe, the Flex pump and Fennec and Speed eyewear.

Kering, which does not break out revenues for the brand, reported that like-for-like sales at its “other houses” division — which includes Balenciaga alongside Alexander McQueen, Brioni and several jewelry brands — were down 9 percent in the first quarter, following a 4 percent drop in the fourth quarter, when sales were hit by the advertising scandal.

While Balenciaga powered ahead in Asia-Pacific, it remained impacted in the U.S., U.K. and Middle East during the first three months of the year.

“In continental Europe, we start to see a normalization and we are positive again,” said Kering chief financial officer Jean-Marc Duplaix, anticipating that the brand would probably not regain its footing completely until the second half. Kering is due to publish its second-quarter results on July 27.
Source: WWD

Live streaming… Balenciaga Pre-Fall 2024:

Has to be a joke right… It’s actually just a joke at this point!! Wasted 10 seconds of my time looking through the few looks I could stomach to look at!! Closed the app real quick after looking at these deplorable looks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->