Raf Simons - Designer, Co-Creative Director of Prada

Tell me how the note didn't get you when it says get a Raf bag and let friends sign on it.

I do research, it doesn't mean 4chan become me.

you're welcome Mullet

when he released the first few collections he seemed to be the most similar to helmut lang (especially for the simplicity, the label design/logo and the signature black long slim jacket).
but a lot more casual, easier to wear and easier to get (price-wise). so in a way helmut lang for youger audience, or boys-sized helmut. every style had its own name, sometimes cute one. many of the items ran extremely small for adult physique. it was different from, say, being tight as in carol christian poell.
considering it was practically more for boys, it's not bad to say "buy". the explicit message may be better than typical fashion ad campaigns that wouldn't tell you to buy while they want you to buy. at least it was straight and fair, letting kids know it is what it is.

in case there is anyone wondering about the "teenage summer camp bag", it's an inexpensive simplest shoulder bag. about half of his T-shirt price back then.

not sure what to call it but after valery larbaud, "enfantines", something like backlight, like errors. larbaud says elucidating what enfantines could have been in our life is the essence of art, music, literature, etc.
perhaps earlier raf simons was the editing of the enfantines in an explicitly commercial way and veronique branquinho did that more artistically or artfully.

my scan
arena homme plus had not dealt with raf simons until FW1997, that is, had ignored him until his first runway show.
only "white sox fever catch it" shirt and cut-off sweatshirt with black sleeves by raf simons

Attachments

• img404.jpg
    img404.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 34
all that americana in his earlier collections is certainly interesting in light of his new job heading up a big american fashion brand...

thanks for sharing runner...
:flower:

i was not familiar with any of that...

Raf Simons, Stuart Vevers, Monse Win CFDA Awards
Simons is the first designer to win both awards in a single year since Calvin Klein in 1993.

By Jessica Iredale on June 5, 2017

NEW YORK — The winners of the 2017 CFDA Fashion Awards were revealed Monday night at the Hammerstein Ballroom here, and Raf Simons took home the most prizes.

After a mere one season at the helm of Calvin Klein, the Belgian-born designer took home dual awards for Womenswear Designer of the Year and Menswear Designer of the Year. Calvin Klein himself was the only other designer to receive both honors the same year in 1993.

Meanwhile, the Accessory Designer of the Year prize went to another foreign-born designer: The British-born Stuart Vevers for Coach. The Swarovski Award for Emerging Talent went to Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia for Monse.

Simons was officially named creative director of all of Calvin Klein’s brands last August after a year’s speculation that he was headed to the iconic American fashion house after a successful stint at Christian Dior.

He immediately put his stamp on the house in his first show in February. As WWD’s Bridget Foley wrote in her view, the show “thrilled with its smart, powerful clothes for women and men. Everything surrounding the clothes — the 10 a.m. time slot; the location, at the brand’s longtime West 39th Street headquarters in the former Garment District — telegraphed a message of efficiency and pragmatism that plays into the reevaluation and restraint that’s percolating but has yet to triumph across fashion’s show spectrum.”

Vevers, meanwhile, has also put his signature on Coach, turning the brand around with a mix of Americana and whimsy that now stretches from the accessories and clothes to the stores and such tie-ups as a recent collaboration with Selena Gomez.

Kim and Garcia have had a rapid rise with Monse, which catapulted them to becoming co-creative directors at Oscar de la Renta. The de la Renta company also has taken a significant minority stake in the Monse brand and the designers showed both labels together in New York in February.

SOURCE: http://wwd.com/fashion-news/designer-luxury/raf-simons-stuart-vevers-monse-win-cfda-awards-10902372/

from ruffo research FW 1999 by raf and veronique

my scans

Attachments

• img372.jpg
    img372.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 28
  • img377.jpg
    img377.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 27
  • img376.jpg
    img376.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 29
icons for the first few seasons were david bowie and david hemmings
images from the 70's holland youth culture as one of the inspiration sources
olivier rizzo at the showroom as a sales assistant
raf driving a secondhand mercedes in solid cream
as if naivety the main theme
blazers named school, satan...
parkas/jackets - ozon, outster, orb...
pants - poison, party, panther, popeye...
shirts - chris, carlo, cross, cup...
t-shirts/singlets - bowie, bandit, blow, blur, bunny, brian...

my scan
getty

Attachments

• dh.jpg
    dh.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 328
  • img364.jpg
    img364.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 330
Last edited by a moderator:
SS1997

please don't reproduce this image outside of this thread thanks

my scan

Attachments

• img440.jpg
    img440.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 45
Did he get to sell any of his CK pieces? The buzz lasted one minute.

go check the figures yourself please
they have markets outside of US too.

aside from ck
our consciousness can constitute through the time of the culture products like the movies and music above. the more dependence of our life on those products, the more part of our past, memories made of that kind of consciousness. and the market is there.
some designers sometimes depend on such mental resource a bit too directly. it is not inexhaustible. so maybe they are not very good at producing sustainable desire, or the future.

FW1996
my scan

Attachments

• img459.jpg
    img459.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 21
FW1997 the first runway show

please don't reproduce the images outside this thread thanks
my scans

Attachments

• img4682.jpg
    img4682.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 37
  • img468.jpg
    img468.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 32
  • img470.jpg
    img470.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 28
SS1998

please don't reproduce the images outside of this thread thank you
my scans

Attachments

• img478.jpg
    img478.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 20
  • img479.jpg
    img479.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 19
  • img466.jpg
    img466.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 18
Raf Simons Is Moving His Men’s Show Back to Paris

After presenting three collections at New York Fashion Week: Men’s, Raf Simons is moving his show back to Paris’s Men’s Fashion Week. The brand’s Spring 2019 collection will be shown at 9:30 p.m. on June 20, the second official day of the Paris calendar. It’s a big day: Already on the schedule that Wednesday are Off-White, Simons’s fellow Belgian Walter Van Beirendonck, Valentino, and Undercover.

Simons’s move back to Paris comes in the middle of a French fashion renaissance. Just yesterday, Gucci announced that it would be showing in Paris for one season, and starting today, a trifecta of high-profile Resort 2019 shows from Dior, Louis Vuitton, and Gucci are kicking off throughout France. Amid an exodus of mid-career designers from New York to Paris, Simons was a welcome addition to the American calendar. As of now, all signs say that he will continue to present Calvin Klein stateside.

Simons has shown his menswear collection during the Paris Men’s shows since its inception, taking the occasional seasonal jaunt elsewhere. He’s shown at Pitti Uomo twice. His studio team remains in Antwerp, Belgium. With that in mind, his return to Paris is likely both a logistical one and personal choice.

vogue.com

So homemade, so raw. Love the techno soundtrack of the second one, very aesthetic.

I still have problems sleeping just thinking what he'll do with Prada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->