Raf Simons Leaving Christian Dior; Maria Chiuri Rumored In

It really saddens me to see we are all so effing ANESTHETIZE.

We are in the most relevant fashion forum in the world and the reponse to Dior, one of the biggest symbols of French fashion, hiring a basic DRESSMAKER couldn' be more warm and indifferent.

It just says a lot about fashion's current state. So many changes, so many things happening, so many hype in absurd things... That it's not surprising that the next designer of Dior will be a woman whose biggest asset in fashion is making a princess line dress. RIDICULOUS. :rolleyes:

Also, so funny to read this: "Well, she might not be the best designer but it's cool she is a woman". :rolleyes: Are you being serious? Who cares about a designer's genitals? I really don't get it. A woman or a man, it should be someone talented. And this woman is not talented at all.

Anyway, you can really tell she was the last choice, that they didn't have many people willing to design for Dior and they went for her because they think she will sell.

I can't imagine what she will do, but I'm sure it won't be good. It can't be good.

Fashion is less and less interesting... CEO's are really killing it.

I think we've all just gotten used to disappointment and have lowered our standards significantly; ten years ago we would've all scoffed at the fashion being put out today and seen it for the cr*p it is.

I guess it's good that dior is going back to romance instead of clinical, but I can't stand another brand making the same effing collection repeatedly.
well at least there won't be any nepotism Kardashian instagirl stuff.
I was really hoping Alber would get it, and he has a following and can handle a big house. Such a shame all the good designers are getting kicked out for not bowing down to CEOs and the almighty money

I really hope she delivers. I have high expectations.

I haven't remembered a single Dior collection since years ago?

Its quite shocking that she would leave Valentino after all these years. She has made a name for herself and did good in Valentino, apparently sales went up the past few years.

I dont see her at Dior or working with Dior's style which has been lost in the past few years. Raf was a bad choice to start with IMO.

Maria so far is one of the better names out there but I dont see it working with her and Dior. She doesn't have the Dior's style.

Valentino Confirms Maria Grazia Chiuri’s Exit, Appoints Pierpaolo Piccioli Creative Director
By Luisa Zargani
July 7, 2016

MILAN — It’s official. Maria Grazia Chiuri is leaving Valentino.

Confirming a WWD report, the Rome-based group said the designer is “to pursue a new professional experience,” which sources say is to join Dior as its seventh couturier. Pierpaolo Piccioli will become sole creative director of Valentino. Together, the designers presented their swan song Valentino couture show in Paris on Wednesday evening.

“Valentino and the people with whom I work with are a great part of my life. My decision of bringing forward the creative guide of this maison is driven by the strong passion that triggers my work and by the desire of continuing to express here my stylistic vision,” said Piccioli.

Chiuri is leaving after 17 years with the brand and eight in her role as co-creative director, thanking founder Valentino Garavani and his business partner Giancarlo Giammetti, chief executive officer Stefano Sassi and the team at the house for their support. Chiuri said she had “shared with Pierpaolo a great part of [her] professional life and it has been an experience made of many successful creative achievements together.” She added she was “ready to embark on a new professional challenge.”

Chiuri and Piccioli first worked together at Fendi for 10 years. Garavani selected the designers to boost his brand’s accessories category, which they did, rejuvenating that division. They were promoted to creative directors of accessories at Valentino when Alessandra Facchinetti was assigned the same title for ready-to-wear after Garavani retired in 2007. In 2008, they succeeded Facchinetti as creative directors of the brand.

In a joint statement on Thursday, they underscored that after 25 years “of creative partnership and of professional satisfactions” they are taking the opportunity to continue their “artistic path in an individual way.”

Their fruitful collaboration and the management expertise of Sassi have propelled Valentino into one of the hottest and fastest- growing designer brands. Last year, the firm surpassed the $1 billion revenue threshold, posting a 48 percent jump in sales.

“Everything achieved in these years would have been impossible without Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli’s talent, determination and vision that together have contributed into making Valentino one of the most successful fashion companies,” said Sassi. “A new and exciting phase for the brand begins under the creative leadership of Pierpaolo Piccioli. The brand is strongly determined to continue its affirmation and development process accomplished in the past years.”

Chiuri’s exit comes ahead of Valentino SpA’s possible initial public offering, expected to take place not before 2017.

Valentino is owned by Qatar’s Mayhoola for Investments, which just bought Balmain and also controls Pal Zileri and has a stake in Anya Hindmarch.

Source: http://wwd.com/fashion-news/designer-luxury/maria-grazia-chiuri-leaving-valentino-pierpaolo-piccioli-sole-creative-director-10483128/

Maybe Princess Dresses were creations of Pierpaolo?
I hope... because i can't imagine all this evening gowns 6 times yearly.

BoF
source : businessoffashion
By Limei Hoang
July 7, 2016 11:23

Valentino Confirms Maria Grazia Chiuri Exit

Valentino has confirmed the departure of Maria Grazia Chiuri, appointing Pierpaolo Piccioli the brand's sole creative director. Chiuri is widely thought to be joining Dior, which is expected to issue a statement soon.

PARIS, France — Valentino has officially confirmed the departure of co-creative director Maria Grazia Chiuri, appointing Pierpaolo Piccioli the brand's sole creative director.

Christian Dior is expected to soon announce Chiuri's appointment as the house's new creative director, ending months of speculation over who would take the creative helm at the brand after the sudden departure of Raf Simons last year.

“After 25 years of creative partnership and of professional satisfactions we gave ourselves the opportunity of continuing our artistic paths in an individual way with the reciprocal desire of further great achievements,” Chiuri and Piccioli said in a joint statement.

Together, Chiuri and Piccioli transformed Valentino, breathing new creative energy into the Italian fashion house and rocketing the brand back to the forefront of fashion. Under the pair's leadership, sales have flourished, driven in part by a lucrative accessories business, which now accounts for nearly half of sales in some stores.

“Everything achieved in these years would have been impossible without Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli’s talent, determination and vision that together have contributed into making Valentino one of the most successful fashion companies,” added Stefano Sassi, chief executive of Valentino. “A new and exciting phase for the brand begins under the creative leadership of Pierpaolo Piccioli. The brand is strongly determined to continue its affirmation and development process accomplished in the past years.”

For the first three months of 2016, Valentino reported a 9 percent rise in sales to €256 million, up from €234 million in the same period last year. The company also nearly doubled its profit on revenue of more than $1 billion in 2015, prompting growing speculation about a possible initial public offering.

Chiuri will join Dior at a difficult time for the company. In the first quarter of 2016, ending March 31, the brand’s fashion division reported a 1 percent drop in reported sales, hit by a drop in tourist flows to Paris and several major Asian markets.

Dior generates around €5 billion in annual sales, of which more than three-fifths comes from perfume and cosmetics. LVMH chairman and chief executive Bernard Arnault has said he expected to achieve a similar figure in 2016.

The news marks yet another change at the top of a major fashion house. In the past year and a half alone, Gucci has appointed Alessandro Michele its creative head, while Demna Gvasalia was hired by Balenciaga.

Or maybe Princess Dress is a Chiuri creation and with only one creative director- Pierpaolo Piccioli- Valentino will be more interesting....
All this is so boring...
After John Galliano's era Dior can't find designer who could-can replace him.

I really was hoping for Theyskens all this time, or even Alber. Alessandra Facchinetti would be better choice too. It's good to see a woman as creative director at such a big house, but that doesn't mean she is a good womenswear designer. Well, it's official. I'm trying to be not sceptical... curious what she will do after Raf makeover. Dior needs someone with a really strong vision who will lift up this house after their last year, I am afraid with Maria Grazia it's not gonna be so diffrent from what we have now by Dior team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really was hoping for Theyskens all this time, or even Alber. Alessandra Facchinetti would be better choice too. It's good to see a woman as creative director at such a big house, but that doesn't mean she is a good womenswear designer. Well, it's official. I'm trying to be not sceptical... curious what she will do after Raf makeover. Dior needs someone with a really strong vision who will lift up this house after their last year, I am afraid with Maria Grazia it's not gonna be so diffrent from what we have now by Dior team.

Theyskens is back

Dior website just confirmed her. Can't wait till her first collection on Sep 30

So they finally found someone. I never expected this. I'm really curious to see what this means for both houses.

I thought Christian Dior was a man's vision brand. However, I am excited to see how Chiuri's Dior women would turn out!

^ Thank you for the link to the article!

It's really interesting to see how they caved in and gave Maria Grazia full power over everything. I bet that was the only way for her to leave Valentino and move to Dior.

Now that this happened, though, I am kind of sad that Raf wasn't given the power to oversee the whole image of the brand. Maybe his vision would have been stronger and we would have warmed up to it if he was allowed to create a full world for the Dior woman. The way things played out, we only got to see what she would wear.

Gird your loins! Apparently it's only a matter of weeks before Calvin Klein confirms his appointment.

I'm really excited! Dior just wasn't the right place for him. He's clinical, conceptual, and modern, everything Dior isn't. He lost his way after the spectacular Fall 2013 show which is my favorite from his tenure. CK will really put him back into a forward thinking place that won't require him to suppress his creative identity for the sake of pushing sh*t products to sell to everyone.The only memory of Raf X Dior will be the Latex Boots and his first Couture show if anyone will actually remember anything other than the flower wall. Raf x Jil will be remembered for his contribution to modern fashion such as the couture trilogy, the fringe collection, neon s/s 11, tulle cloud dresses, structured collars, etc..... So many iconic pieces and collections that will continue to remain timeless. Hopefully CK will bring something similar. Only time will tell!

Calvin Klein are doing new direction.Their fall campaign is all about modern street style.I wonder raf will do jean and sport wear or just high fashion line.Kevin Carrigan are doing great.As much Iike Italo 's men design,Calvin are only sell what Kevin Carrigan design.Francesco Costa created a beautiful grown for famous actress but his ready to wear collection looked so boring.
I hope Raf don't bring what he did in dior and Jill sander.
His vision for his ownbbrand will work for ck new direction.

Calvin Klein are doing new direction.Their fall campaign is all about modern street style. I wonder raf will do jean and sport wear or just high fashion line.Kevin Carrigan are doing great. As much Iike Italo 's men design,Calvin are only sell what Kevin Carrigan design. Francesco Costa created a beautiful grown for famous actress but his ready to wear collection looked so boring.
I hope Raf don't bring what he did in dior and Jill sander.
His vision for his ownbbrand will work for ck new direction.

Agreed with everything you've said here!! Yes, he will suit, if not accentuate, CK's current direction. You need only to look at his namesake brand to see it'll not really much of a stretch for him. Yes, I cannot wait to see how he will apply that structural sense of element to the women's line (something which Costa has not been able to do).

CK is all about youth now, and he seems to be very in touch with that type of audience. This is a perfect match.

Weeks ? I'd say days because supposedly by August there should be already a CD at Calvin but, never mind, I'm sure It's Raf, too

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cccccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->