'Raf' - NY Times profile on Raf Simons

I think it is sort of "intelectualizing" fashion:-P.

Maybe she was trying to say that Simons works on "real world". And his messages are clear. So we can understand his ideas about "our world".

With Galliano or Lagerfield, we can only admire them as we will never be as "genious" (in fashion mean).

I think she misses sth. Simons designs *youth menswear*. Lagerfield and Galliano make staements in women fashion. And they are totally diff. areas.

I think the statement Raf is making in men's fashion isnt being made in women's fashion. I liked this article. Interesting, for someone who avoided the press so much he sure has become very open to them. I wonder if it has to do with his deal with prada, to help publicity for Jil Sander.

I love how simple and unpretentious he is. He is just about clothes, he sort of thinks like an industrial designer rather than a fashion designer it seems. I am really excited for his work an Jil Sander now!

Mutterlein said:
I think the statement Raf is making in men's fashion isnt being made in women's fashion. I liked this article. Interesting, for someone who avoided the press so much he sure has become very open to them. I wonder if it has to do with his deal with prada, to help publicity for Jil Sander.

I love how simple and unpretentious he is. He is just about clothes, he sort of thinks like an industrial designer rather than a fashion designer it seems. I am really excited for his work an Jil Sander now!

Well, his degree is in industrial design. :flower:

Yes, I'm positive that PR is part of the Jil Sander deal.

What kind of statement do you mean exactly?

^that's what I'm thinking too. Just seems he must break out of his anti-attention shell for the sake of Prada. Remember,Helmut Lang had to do this very thing as well when he got bought by Prada.

faust said:
Well, his degree is in industrial design. :flower:

Yes, I'm positive that PR is part of the Jil Sander deal.

What kind of statement do you mean exactly?

The idea that non-fashion people can enjoy fashion. When he he uses non-models it invites people who exsist outside of the whole fashion world to wear the clothes. It's about the clothes and less about the styling, the status, or who designed it, or etc. It's about dealing wih the man and his direct relationship to the clothes. I don't think Lagerfeld or Galliano have made their clothes nearly as approachable for women as Simons has for men. I also think he genuinely looked to alternative culture for inspiration not because he observed from a far and took fancy to it (marc jacobs/grunge) but because he experienced it and saw the need for the clothes to be made. I say he is more a like an industrial designer because he descisions are based more on need, more on function in a way than other designers. Like it is mentioned in the article, he cut his suits smaller because the men he knew were in fact smaller. If designers took this approach we would probably see more innovation in fashion. Even designers like Yohji Yamamoto and Anne Demuelmeester who are less fashion oriented and more design oriented are not all that inviting to a normal woman (but a lot more than Chanel or Dior). Now an actual woman can correct me on that as I don't really know what exactly an actual woman finds inviting. Softgrey?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish they were cheaper, his cuts are quite nice... perhaps Raf by Raf Simons will be my savior.

Thanks a lot for posting the article, droogist...i read it yesterday but was too tired to comment, so i'll try to do so now:

The piece was a wonderful read, as it is my first peek into the inner workings of raf simons' world beyond the runway pics, magazine editorials and the clothes i've seen of his in stores. It's interesting for myself to note that people who truly set the standard for cool and have their pulse on youth culture while being able to interpret and express this in a way that can define how a generation dresses, people such as Raf Simons, also seem to be the most low key, ordinary and 'unassuming' people on the surface (definitely not the case with his mental capability, of course...Simons is a genius and comes across as very eloquent from this read!) I dunno, I just find it impressive when I read about Simons going on a stroll with doritos and a soft drink, or about him watching movies on a quiet night out with friends...something about the duality between engaging in such mundane activities and the memorable images he presents in his work strikes me, as it probably isn't the kind of routine I'd imagine people as revolutionary as Simons to be participating in due to a romanticized image of a larger than life trendsetter!

I also have come to the realization at this point that Simons is far superior as a designer to Hedi Slimane.

andrew said:
I just wish they were cheaper, his cuts are quite nice... perhaps Raf by Raf Simons will be my savior.

I too am very much looking forward to the Raf by RS line, it seems like a line that is in tune with my style philosophy in that it's well cut, more basic clothes while still maintaining the hip edge with Raf's design approach.

I've actually overlooked Simons' work most of the time I have been interested in fashion, but recently I've decided I'll pay closer attention to his stuff when I see it in stores...i hope to add some pieces to my wardrobe too!

Enlightening. Thankyou, Droogist. I think this is the best thing I have read on this forum. I've always loved Raf. But, he's always been enigmatic to me. Is he a quirky, strange designer? Is he an average, realistic man? Is he a romantic.What's the point of his clothes? Why does he design...just why....
Now I know. I really admire him. :flower: :heart:

Now I crave his clothing more!

Johnny said:
What do you take that to mean travolta. I don't understand it. Don't you think that it's overstating the case to suggest that any kind of fashion can make you understand the world?

actually the first thing that came to mind was the movie Broken Flowers by Jim Jarmausch. i hope this makes sense if you haven't seen the movie. the film was very pared down and skeletal and without gimmicks, but rich with observation and empathy. this description of raf -- that he ''looks at everything very simply and directly'' can be applied to this film. to have such clear insight and express it seems to contradict fashion, which usually covers people up in a mask or immerses them in a fantasy.

i can see how mutterlein sees him as designing from an industrial design point of view, because he is observing culture and creating designs which reflect real people, as opposed to 'prescribing' a certain look. i think this is the only way a designer can truly make meaningful, innovative design.

300% agree

[/QUOTE]I've actually overlooked Simons' work most of the time I have been interested in fashion, but recently I've decided I'll pay closer attention to his stuff when I see it in stores...i hope to add some pieces to my wardrobe too![/QUOTE]

Simply another one great work of Cathy's. Likewise, I always overlook how great Simons' work is and there was an enlightening moment happened last year when Maria Luisa told me-"honestly, all Hedi Slimane's ideas are originally from Raf..." there... I was slapped on the face by the grande dame herself. Anyway, I looking forward to give more mentally/ physically/ financially support to Raf in the foreseeing future... Thank you Droogist

I've actually overlooked Simons' work most of the time I have been interested in fashion, but recently I've decided I'll pay closer attention to his stuff when I see it in stores...i hope to add some pieces to my wardrobe too!

Simply another one great work of Cathy's. Likewise, I always overlook how great Simons' work is and there was an enlightening moment happened last year when Maria Luisa told me-"honestly, all Hedi Slimane's ideas are originally from Raf..." there... I was slapped on the face by the grande dame herself. Anyway, I looking forward to give more mentally/ physically/ financially support to Raf in the foreseeing future... Thank you Droogist

Couldn't agree more with Maria Luisa.... I get *so* irritated every time I read about Slimane being so "innovative" and "having radically altered the shape of men's clothing" (I quote an article on Slimane in today's Observer Magazine - link below). I mean.... has anyone in fashion journalism actually paid attention to who did what in the last ten years or so?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1575847,00.html

Raf Simons womens wear

i know mr. simons will start designing womenswear for jil, but does anyone know if he will have girl clothes under his own label??? it would be pretty cool...

I read he made a female outfit for his Spring 2006, that his mother wore to the show. :flower:

wasn't there some female models in his spring2004 show aswell?

Spacemiu said:
I read he made a female outfit for his Spring 2006, that his mother wore to the show. :flower:

wasn't there some female models in his spring2004 show aswell?

now that you mention it there was! But it was really just the more androgynous pieces put on women rather than actually designing for women. If his clothes for Jil Sander look anything like that I will be very dissapointed (I am sure they won't).

For me, how Raf is going to be tackling Jil Sander's line, well that's probably one of the things I'm most looking forward to seeing come fashion week 2006!

Adrogyny or no adrogyny, I think Raf Simons for Jil Sander will prove to be one of the most interesting combinations ever. But that's just the Raf fan in me talking.

- Cheers

well said.. cant wait to see what he comes up with.even the mens stuff should be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iphone4321
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->