Raf Simons Leaving Christian Dior; Maria Chiuri Rumored In

I posted the article under the "Cristian Dior Cruise 2017 London" thread
Business of Fashion-Reuters

Source : businessoffashion.com

Dior Says New Designer 'Work in Progress'

Six months after the departure of Raf Simons, appointing a new creative director is a "work in progress," says Dior's chief executive Sidney Toledano.

this Quote from article is good :mrgreen:

source : businessoffashion.com

"(It is a) work in progress, work in progress and we're giving it a little bit of time," chief executive Sidney Toledano told Reuters. "It's an important position."

^If it was indeed an important position, they wouldn't let two idiots ruin everything. Just admit you can't recruit anyone decent...

I think at least till F/W 17.18 or Couture F/W 2017 Dior won't have a new designer.

^I though they would be out after the s/s 2017 season.

surprsingly people are still visiting the Dior's stores so maybe the pain isn't exactly there yet, which explains why Toledano is still there. He should be axed if you ask me.

Klein Hints At Costa's Replacement
by Scarlett Conlon

CALVIN KLEIN has shed light on when the label that he founded might appoint Francisco Costa's replacement, telling Andy Cohen at Sirius XM that it will be no later than early August, reports WWD. Stopping short of specifics, he did insinuate that the new creative director has already been found.

"They just finally made changes in the design staff," he said of the company that he sold to PVH Corp in 2002. "They are doing something that I had hoped they would have done, which is replace me. Find someone who can with a singular vision oversee everything that is creative. They won't announce who it is publicly because it's under contract. But the whole industry knows."

Rumours circulating the industry suggest that former Christian Dior creative director Raf Simons is preparing to take on the job and Klein's comments will do nothing to dispel them. Simons is currently under a non-compete agreement with Dior owners LVMH which is said to expire at the end of July.

In the interview, Klein also gave insight into why he decided to sell his namesake line.

"Managing a global business was not fun and designing clothes was my passion. It started to become more problematic and putting out fires everywhere. The key is letting go. I was no longer in control of the company. They did whatever they thought was the best thing to do. I'm still getting paid a great deal of money [under a royalty agreement with PVH that expires in 2018]. Would I have done it the same way? No."

Source: www.vogue.co.uk

Who else has no job and is still under the contract?

Dior"s desperate attempt to revive its image much? It is a sponsored feature, by the way.

Source: Business of Fashion

PARIS, France — Since its eponymous founder revolutionised female style with his “New Look,” in 1947, the name Christian Dior has held a unique significance in French culture and the history of fashion. Acquired by Bernard Arnault in 1984, Christian Dior evolved into a global player, laying the foundation for the LVMH Group. It produces haute couture collections, women’s and men’s ready-to-wear, leather goods, shoes, childrenswear, accessories, jewellery and watches.

Despite the globalisation of the company, its strategy for success remains rooted in the creativity and savoir-faire that first distinguished its atelier. Applying the same couture standards of service and detail orientation to a global business, the company creates demanding working environments — dedicated to the pursuit of creative excellence and its commercial application. BoF sits down with Emmanuelle Favre, senior vice president of human resources, to learn more about a culture that inspires excellence and is dedicated to enabling its employees to produce it.

Emmanuelle Favre, Senior Vice President of Human Resources | Source: Christian Dior
Emmanuelle Favre | Source: Christian Dior

BoF: What defines the DNA of Christian Dior Couture today?

Dior is an Haute Couture maison and couture remains the key to the character of the brand and the company. To work at this kind of company really is an amazing experience. The designer’s studio and the couture atelier are in the Hôtel Particulier chosen by Mr Dior himself, and the company’s DNA remains rooted in its creativity and savoir-faire — underpinned by our company values of excellence, tenacity and passion. To work for Christian Dior Couture is to strive for excellence, always setting the bar high and never settling.

BoF: How does Christian Dior Couture share its culture with its employees?

In Paris our couture sensibility is immediately apparent — you can feel the essence of the brand, and we work hard to ensure that all of our employees are connected to it. There is a lot of communication and training about Mr Dior and the house’s history.

The new joiners benefit from a comprehensive on-boarding process, which identifies what the “Esprit Dior” is — and highlights the essentials that will equip them for success in their roles. Each employee is accompanied by the HR teams during his or her first year through multiple individual and group touch-points. We believe it takes time to discover the Dior universe and we aim to ensure that each employee is a true Dior Ambassador and proud of being part of a unique adventure.

BoF: What kind of employees does Christian Dior Couture look for?

We look for people with a lot of passion, emotion and an entrepreneurial mindset. We want people to be very proactive and responsible for what they are doing — to take initiative and push the envelope. As employees we must always question ourselves, push to be more creative and have new, fresh ideas — seek to go further to achieve excellence. Our client experience in store calls for sophisticated skills: people who understand our brand heritage, who are detail-oriented and are able to evolve in a very demanding environment.

Our working style is challenging: fast-pace collections, creative tensions, couture standard service and a results-driven culture. However our senior leaders keep close proximity to employees, which builds a strong commitment and sense of belonging at all levels. Christian Dior truly is a unique place to work: in the ateliers we have employees who have been with the company for 30 years, and we have begun welcoming a new generation. In the stores, we have multicultural teams. We strongly believe that diversity stimulates creativity; thus we foster a culture of inclusion and promote gender equality along people’s career path: as a result, women represent 62 percent of our regional leadership teams.

BoF: What training and career opportunities are available?

We invest a lot in training, developing and engaging our teams. Training is provided at all levels to broaden everyone’s skills and experience. Our internal retail school, the “Dior Academy,” ensures trainers are in the field with teams, all over the world. We have built a specific management-training programme for our managers, and our senior leaders can also attend leadership programs led by the LVMH Group. Having integrated the whole cycle of value chain and thanks to our strong presence in many regions (Europe, Asia, US and Middle East), we can offer international career opportunities in various functions (retail, design, merchandising, clienteling, supply chain), within Christian Dior and also within LVMH Group. Annual talent reviews, including career conversations, are conducted to track development and foster “made to measure” careers.

The Retail teams are a big part of our workforce: a structured 'Retail Career Path' exists for those with long-term ambitions in the company and a trainee programme for graduates (Business, Engineer Schools and MBA), consisting of 18 months of store experience, embracing the richness and complexity of retail operations, before evolving into more senior management roles.

BoF: What talent needs does Dior currently have?

Dior is an employer of choice in many of the 50 markets in which it is present, however we sometimes face a talent shortage to support our international growth. More than 1,200 employees are recruited every year to meet the needs of our new boutique openings, our growth and to offset the natural turnover we see. We have vertically integrated all the metiers — from the first sketch all the way to the client — so there are a multitude of opportunities for the right kind of talent.

We are constantly scanning the market for the very best talent in all domains. Beyond an expertise, we seek profiles with special personalities who can reflect both the modernity and heritage of our brand codes, while staying emotionally connected to Christian Dior’s DNA.

There are few sectors of the economy that offer as wide and interesting a range of career opportunities as fashion. For more information about fashion industry roles at Christian Dior, visit BoF Careers.

Dior to Appoint Valentino's Maria Chiuri as Creative Head Say Sources

Christian Dior is set to announce after its couture show in early July that Maria Grazia Chiuri is joining the French fashion house from Italy's Valentino, two people familiar with the matter said.

June 23, 2016 15:05

PARIS, France — Christian Dior is set to announce after its couture show in early July that Maria Grazia Chiuri is joining the French fashion house from Italy's Valentino, two people familiar with the matter said.

Chiuri will be taking on one of the most important jobs at Dior. She will also be the first woman creative director in the company's 70-year history, following in the footsteps of celebrity designers including Yves Saint Laurent, Gianfranco Ferre and John Galliano.

"I understand that it will be announced after the (July) couture show," one of the sources said.

Dior was not immediately available for comment.

Chiuri will join Dior at a difficult time. The brand's fashion sales growth has dropped in the past year and a half, going from double-digit to flat sales growth in the first quarter of this year.

Dior has attributed its poor results to the luxury market slowdown but some fashion industry experts have suggested it might be facing some desirability issues.

Dior is the parent company of LVMH, the luxury industry's biggest luxury group. It generates around €5 billion in annual sales, of which more than three fifths come from perfume and cosmetics. It has been struggling to find a replacement for Belgian designer Raf Simons who left unexpectedly in October.

Chiuri has worked wonders at Valentino together with her design partner Pierpaolo Piccioli, acting as the brand's joint-creative director since Valentino Garavani, who hired them himself, announced his retirement in 2007.

The pair won several prizes and helped to turn Valentino into one of the luxury industry's most profitable luxury brands and one of the strongest in terms of sales growth.

Under their creative leadership, Valentino has become known for its light, graceful and highly romantic designs, applauded by fashion editors. Dior, which has been producing relatively modern styles, would benefit from a return to more romantic, fairytale-like aesthetics, some fashion critics have said, when asked about Chiuri on an unattributable basis.

Mayhoola, the Qatari investment company that owns Valentino, this week acquired the French fashion label Balmain, another fast-growing brand, for around €460 million ($524 million), three sources told Reuters on Tuesday.

By Astrid Wendlandt; editor: Jane Merriman.

Source: https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/news-analysis/dior-to-appoint-valentinos-maria-chiuri-as-creative-head-say-sources?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=b162635d7f-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d2191372b3-b162635d7f-417355313

Well, that really caught me off guard.

Not sure sure what to think, i'll wait until we get an official announcement...

What??? If this is true, what will happen to Valentino? Will Piccioli stay there alone?

WWD just reported that the contract is finalized and that Maria Grazia is indeed the new creative director of Dior.

Oh wow, this'll be so boring. I can already see the endless sheer dresses.

well we can now assume dior will be safe, pretty and always the same from now on / at least i can't see her pandering to the teenager tumblr crowd, so there's that

PARIS – Christian Dior has finalized a contract that will make Valentino’s Maria Grazia Chiuri its seventh couturier, a Paris source told WWD.

The Italian designer is to show her first collection for the house this fall, for the spring 2017 ready-to-wear season, the same source indicated.

Dior declined to comment. Valentino officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

WWD first reported that Chiuri could be in the frame last November, and reported on May 31 that she was among three finalists for the job.

The development sets the stage for Dior to welcome its first female couturier – and mark the end of Chiuri’s long and celebrated collaboration with Pierpaolo Piccioli at Rome-based Valentino, which has become one of the hottest and fastest-growing designer brands in Europe, last year surpassing the $1 billion revenue threshold.

Asked if she was in talks with Dior during Paris Fashion Week last March, Chiuri told WWD she was not in talks with the French brand, dismissing the speculation as “rumors.”

On Wednesday, she was in an ebullient mood as she and Piccioli presented Valentino’s spring 2017 men’s collection in Paris.

Chiuri’s arrival could be confirmed after the couture shows, which are scheduled for July 3 to July 7, according to a Reuters report.

Sources described Chiuri as a seasoned, steady hand who will bring the couture chops – and noise – Dior is seeking. It is understood Dior also held discussions with Proenza Schouler designers Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez.

Successors to founder Christian Dior — who ignited postwar Paris with his extravagant, full-skirted New Look, and whose brief career ended with his death in 1957 — included Yves Saint Laurent, Marc Bohan, Gianfranco Ferré, John Galliano and Raf Simons, who exited the house last October after the expiration of his initial three-year contract.

Dior studio directors Serge Ruffieux and Lucie Meier, who had worked under Simons, have taken over in the interim, earning largely positive reviews for their spring couture, pre-fall, fall-winter 2016 and resort 2017 collections, the latter paraded at Blenheim Palace outside of London on May 31.

At the time, Dior confirmed the duo is to head up the fall 2016 couture show here next month.

Excepting Saint Laurent, who logged only a few seasons before being conscripted into the French army, Simons had the shortest tenure of Dior’s recent designers, sparking debate about the breakneck pace – and constraints on creative freedom – in today’s global, bottom-line driven fashion industry.

Simons had succeeded Galliano, who was ousted in March 2011 following racist and anti-Semitic outbursts at a Paris café. The Belgian designer submitted his resignation only weeks before Alber Elbaz was pushed out of Lanvin after a stellar 14-year tenure, ushering in another wave of changes at the highest levels of European fashion.

Lanvin recently revealed that Bouchra Jarra would succeed Elbaz at the creative helm of women’s collections, while Anthony Vaccarello has succeeded Hedi Slimane at Saint Laurent. Both are to show their first collections for spring 2017 this fall in Paris.

That Dior signed on Chiuri suggests the house is ready for another shift in fashion direction, given Simons’ predilection for minimalism and futurism, which was an about-face from the retro-tinged glamour Galliano plied over a storied 15-year tenure. It also signals that Chiuri is finally ready to strike out on her own, having spent almost the entirety of her fashion career at Piccioli’s side.

While they had a rough start at the creative helm of Valentino fashion, the duo have won acclaim for plying a chaste, graceful femininity with Renaissance airs, exemplified by their high-necked, fragile gowns. They have typically culled inspiration from Rome, recently branching out with collections referencing Africa and the world of dance.

The designers were not new to Valentino when they were appointed creative directors. They had already spent 10 years as accessories designers within the company and were well versed in its history. That put them in a unique position when they were asked to assume creative direction of the entire brand.

Before Valentino, the duo had spent 10 years at Fendi, where they met and were credited with the invention of the Baguette, one of the first so-called “It” bags of the modern luxury age. The founding couturier personally wooed them to develop accessories based on his briefings for each season. They were named creative directors of accessories at Valentino when Alessandra Facchinetti was assigned the same title for ready-to-wear after Garavani retired in 2007, and then succeeded her in rtw in October that year.

Speaking at WWD’s CEO Summit last year, Chiuri talked about her affinity for high fashion: “It’s a culture of couture. It’s very close with craftsmanship and quality, but also the tradition that’s part of our past, like Italian. In Rome, you feel that really strongly. In any case, it’s very close with the heart, with the idea that the profession is something artistic, something has a human touch and we really believe that has made a difference in our brand.”

Dior is controlled by luxury titan Bernard Arnault, who is chairman and chief executive officer of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton.

Sources suggested Valentino, owned by Qatar’s Mayhoola for Investments, which just bought Balmain, is likely to promote Piccioli to become sole creative director of the Roman house.

wwd.com

It's like waiting all year for Christmas only to receive some socks (old, sheer and emroidered socks). Tragic.

...well. On the upside, it's nice that a woman is in charge of one of the biggest womenswear fashion houses in the world. On the downside, it's her. I'll reserve my judgement until it actually happens, but I'm just hoping Pierpaolo was the frilly one at Valentino...

well we can now assume dior will be safe, pretty and always the same from now on / at least i can't see her pandering to the teenager tumblr crowd, so there's that

Agreed! I'm sorry, this was the last person I had in mind for the job. And people complained about Saunders? Quite happy with her tenure at Valentino because they've managed to create and gratified their market into something profitable. Dior will be a completely different ballgame. And her presence and inoffensiveness simply does not bode well. But I guess that's what they wanted. A profitable dressmaker!

Eventually Chiuri will have to start thinking of how to incorporate a bit more than just embellishment into her direction. For a eoman who's been essentially preoccupied with the same silhouette, season after season, I imagine this will be a trying feat. And re the youth, she might not pander to them, but she'll be forced to acknowledge them at some stage. It's called foresight. Besides, right now it would appear the brand is steered in that direction.

I don't wanna call it yet, but I'm worried that she would pull an Elie Saab and only makes the same pretty dresses all the time. Let's hope she will have a strong vision for the brand and make Dior exciting again!

Not gonna lie, I was hoping until the last minute for Olivier or Alber, eventually. I now She won't bring anything edgy or beyond unreal but let's hope She'll make something else than lunch suits and long-sleeved gowns. Dior needs someone who can portray the Brand in a classic way but I don't think to turn Dior into an ODLR/Carolina Herrera/Monique Lhuillier is the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->