Christian Dior Pre-Fall 2013

fierceboi

Reaction score
PARIS — For his first pre-fall collection for Dior, Raf Simons wrote another chapter in his modernist makeover of the storied French house, employing the same vocabulary as his couture and ready-to-wear debuts last year.

“New classics” is the term the Belgian designer applied to his latest takes on tuxedo suits, “bar” jackets and such iconic prints and fabrics as florals and Prince de Galle checks. “I wanted to continue exploring the Dior codes we started establishing,” Simons told WWD.

But this being his first collection for Dior not destined for a runway, he strove to accentuate the brand’s sophistication with a dose of reality, headlined by more relaxed fits “for a lot of different body types,” he said.

Cue the luxury denim — a Japanese fabric dyed that inimitable Dior gray. While stovepipe-thin jeans gave a young, hip verve to sculpted coats and Simons’ abbreviated ballgown tops, the house’s new denim comes in five different fits.

Coats and dresses also curved forgivingly around hips while still defining the waist, which Simons deems a key Dior signature. One cozy coatdress was worked with the toggle buttons and nonchalance of a duffle coat.

For cocktail and evening, the designer refined and elaborated on some of the ideas from his spring rtw debut: Many short dresses in silk gazar sprouted a swag of fabric on one side for an asymmetric effect, while dramatic floor-length skirts in featherweight taffeta were topped with snug or elongated knits.

Simons brought some couture details and techniques to the collection, albeit, he said, “also in a realistic way.” For example, he married gauzy cable knits to tulle, making them light and transparent but able to take on different volumes.

Newsy, too, were his takes on men’s wear fabrics, etching houndstooth patterns with crystal embroideries across a brief jacket, or obscuring herringbone and check patterns with unusual scales and combinations, even at times showing the reverse side.

Despite the flurry of design responsibilities he’s juggling — he shows his signature men’s wear lineup on Jan. 16, five days before Dior couture — Simons said he’s serene about his step-by-step strategy at the French house. “I want to approach this whole story very slowly. I’m very patient about it,” he said, stressing that the shapes and allure founder Christian Dior pioneered remain “feminine, universal and natural.

Source: WWD

Attachments

• dior02.jpg
    dior02.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 158
  • dior03.jpg
    dior03.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 107
  • dior04.jpg
    dior04.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 117
  • dior05.jpg
    dior05.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 106
  • dior06.jpg
    dior06.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 124
  • dior07.jpg
    dior07.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 119
  • dior08.jpg
    dior08.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 406
It's weird how one-note Raf's work for Dior is so far. As much as I love it, I do find it underwhelming that the HC, the RTW and the Pre-Fall collection all look so similar when those collections usually follow different criteria and are supposed to look very different from each other anyway. Not that I expect him to take risks in a pre-collection, but something that makes you excited for the next collection or using any new elements would still be nice. And I hate the houndstooth print here. I love the shape and cut of the look with the ugly green necklace (or whatever that is supposed to be), though.

Thanks for posting! :flower:

It's a nice pre collection. I really like the black top with the long tail, the printed short dress, abd that one look with the green choker. Though I'm praying that this in no indication of what's to come at Couture in a couple weeks or for the main fall collection. He's played with these ideas enough and I'd like some more new from him.
Posted via Mobile Device

the colors and patterns shown feel really refreshing, and the dress (or skirt/shirt?) in the last pic is just divine to look at:heart:

I really like the collection as a whole but I feel quite disappointed. Hopefully, his new collection doesn't become predictable. He made great transitioning collections. Now it's time for surprise and new things he has to offer like he did at Jil Sander. nonetheless, I adore the first look very much.

I like how he chooses to maintain a certain continuity with his collections, it reminds me of retro défilés for some reason. After all, (IMO) it's too soon to go crazy with his offerings, he's obviously following the same strategy as when he was working for Jil Sander, where he started truly experimenting only after a few shows.
I'm not too fond of the first houndstooth outfit, but overall they're appropriate pre-Fall looks.

While I love the cut of these clothes, I really don't like the prints he used. It's a nice collection, but a bit too austere for my taste.

Yes, nice outfits, but I would like some more surprises and more differences between the different collections.

I hate to say this but this is stale and boring , virtually the same looks from the RTW and couture collection. I hope he does something different for his fall collection.
I find it too Jil Sanderish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely clothes, but his offerings are becoming mono-tone. I could only believe this is apart of his plan to create a look that is synonymous with the house. I do hope the upcoming HC and RTW collections do offer some new ideas.

I find the people toiling about in the background way more interesting than the actual clothes.

Extremely chic. Perhaps a bit repetitive but so were Galliano's collections. I would wear everything.

i love it so far. exactly the right marriage between Raf's aesthetic and the wearability found in pre-collections. I'm excited to see the rest of the stuff.

So he reinterpreted Dior denim codes? Instead of 5 new denim fits, how about 5 new adaptations of the bar jacket? The highlight of this mediocre collection is the denim? That just seems strange. But okay. I would have been happy with this if the first two looks and the last peach disaster were taken out. Those four middle looks are strong enough. I just can't get over the denim thing. I adore that green necklace, so major props to Camille Miceli

It's a pre-fall collection, I'm not sure why everyone's seeking a more dynamic fix from a collection that is mainly put together to be more practical? Well I have to agree that what he offers here is certainly no different from his Couture and RTW but i'm also glad he's not trying to be complex and do yucky velvet dresses like Christopher Kane or comme des garcons knock-offs like Acne.

I love the first and the last outfit. The grey train and the skirt are so beautifully constructed.

I think it's a tricky balance. He wants to set up a language for his time at the house, but he'll have to keep feeding new ideas into that language. It will be a long game, not short bursts of shock. He wants it all to feed into itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->