Dove: "Real Women" Campaign

Neo_Classic said:
Luv, is that what you came up with? You knew exactly what I meant. Did I hit a cord?

Saying that someone who isn't healthy isn't real is either silly, if you mean they're not living up to their potential, or sick, if you mean that unhealthy people should be ignored or repremanded. Hit a chord? Oh, sweetie, with my dopamine levels that's unfortunately an impossible feat. I was merely curious if you know what the logical conclusion of your statement was. Ie, that cancer patients aren't real. And I think I've got my answer now. ^_^

Where in my post did I say that unhealthy people should be ignored or reprimanded?

I used the word "real" as a form of slang. I bet everyone else understood.

Urban Stylin said:
i also loved their ads where they had the women with wrinkles, freckles...

Me too. I saw another commercial with four pregnant women. it was a cute little commercial. Then at the end three of them take baloons out of their shirts (or pillows) the fourth is actually pregnant. The cream is for that "radiant" look.

I think it was nice.

Anyway, they seem to have a range of bodies. There are some slim bodies in their campaign. And many of these women look fit.

Personally I really like the campaign. I think it will do well. It's not like Versace and Gucci boast increidble profits every year with their high fashion models. It's the walmart people who are making the money, and those types of companies tend to use a larger scale of woman. More "regular" looking.

Everyone knows how much pretention there is in the fashion industry, and the typical model has come to symbolize that. And although there are many who CRAVE that pretentiousness, for I would say that majority, they are sick of being looked down at. This is why I think this kind of marketting will work. I'd love to see some figures on it.

In the old days ( and still today) you get these perfect 10/10 models in swimming suits or skimpy clothes in ads for diets or low fat crisps and chocolate....the message clearly reads dont worry i eat and my body is beyond perfect..so people naturally will beleive the ads...now i know we are all more educated than the before...but still i think we do get deceived easily...now its true that the dove ad is more realistic and women can relate with the ad..but is it selling? I mean i personally dont feel very attracted into buying the product..because i would think that the product wont be very effective...now if there was a before and after pics of these women i might just consider it...otherwise i wont..

I think it's a good idea, and certainly one that I feel alot of British woman (and I'm not saying all before someone jumps on my back) will embrace. Yes models are real women, just as larger women are...or tall ones or short ones, it's just that until now a vast majority of the advertising campaigns for beauty products have used tall skinny women, I think the beauty market could do with some more of the average body sizes to make the women who aren't in the 'tall skinny' category feel more included. I like this advertising campaign and feel alot of people have taken it all too seriously, the curvier women don't jump up and down everytime there's a beauty advert with a skinny woman on. Even for the younger girls who are trying so hard to be thin, maybe this will let them go a bit easier on themselves...I know when I was 14/15 I gave myself hell because I didn't have 'that body' and suchlike, when I look back now I was actually fairly slim and it was just because I was tall that I didn't wear the same size clothes as my friends, and perhaps if I'd seen some advertising like that it would have made me see people still live their lives and are happy with that extra 5lbs or extra 5 inches. I really liked the adverts with the tatooed woman and the freckled woman etc, I think people just need to embrace everybodys differences. It certainly wouldn't put me off buying a product when there isn't models advertising it, quite the opposite. I think it's a novel idea and I hope it works.
I think fashion is a totally different market...and with the simple fact that the clothes hang better...if there were to be a variety of women used in catwalks there would be even more time for fitting and adjusting etc, and they'd have to have their models picked out prior to making etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be more impressed if instead of showing women with average bodies and bad styling they would show women with BMIs of 22-25 in a more idealized way. Women that size can look great with the right clothes, light and styling, so why not show them in their best light? That would mean that women who are on the more voluptuous side of normal weight, which is healthy enough, may be more likely to be considered beautiful too. I mean, it's obvious to anybody who's taken a look at old movie stars, ie Elizabeth Taylor, Rita Hayworth and Marilyn Monroe, that BMI 22-25 can be incredibly glamorous and attractive. It's such a shame that some very beautiful young girls in this weight range think of themselves as less than gorgeous and even more terrible when they abuse themselves to conform to an inhumane standard. Some girls are bigger than others - and they were meant to be that way....

I'd like to see them show a bunch of emaciated girls.....people with eating disorders are 'real' too!!

IdiotGirl said:
Since when has "real" been a slang term?

Since tv shows like Cops and Real World oh and lets not forget stuff like Maury Povich.

iluvjeisa said:
I would be more impressed if instead of showing women with average bodies and bad styling they would show women with BMIs of 22-25 in a more idealized way.

Since I am right smack dab in their target audience, I have to second this whole heartedly.

However, I am extremely sick of the billboards with the women in their underwear (that is the new Dove campain, right?). Despite the possible interpretation of "We have nothing to be ashamed of", it really offends me. Where is the class, taste, dignity and decorum?

Oh wait, maybe I am NOT in their target audience.

I agree with Polyphony. This girl who make her belly move like a "buddah" really disturb me. Since that, I came back to do some exercise to tone mine. I don't know if it was the purpose of this ad though... :huh:

No just no. Ok I am a product of the evil trend conscious fashion industry, whatever, just no.

I think it's trying to show that it's not just thin women that can sell products, as models are the expected standard in advertising

Lola Montès said:
I agree with Polyphony. This girl who make her belly move like a "buddah" really disturb me. Since that, I came back to do some exercise to tone mine. I don't know if it was the purpose of this ad though... :huh:

Wow, talk about coincidence, I started doing ab exercises after I saw that ad too :lol: Anyways, I don't love or hate the Dove ad. I think it's rather boring but then again I think that about most drugstore beauty ads. I like that Dove wants to recognize all different types of bodies but one ad campaign isn't going to exactly change the self confidence of millions of women around the world. I mean, if your sane you realize that Gisele isn't your average woman's body and you shouldn't need an ad to reassure you of that.

I'm one of the few people that hates it. I know I may sound immature but I am not in the target audience for Dove-I'm an 18-year old female-and I really don't want to see the ad campaigns with their idea of what beauty is. I have my personal ideals of what I see beauty to be, and another person might have theirs. I know from experience that Dove isn't that great anyways, so it gave me another reason to not buy from them.

The sad truth that I see it as being like a lot of fashion ad campaigns, where the wrong model can ruin the ad. I am all for seeing someone like Crystal Renn do it though, because in my opinion their real women don't have that "something else" that models have. It's an aura, it's a confidence, it's a sense of being totally comfortable with the camera.

That was just my opinion. In a class I had last year I got hell for saying that I hated this ad because I'm a supporter of models getting ad campaigns, however the Dove ads aren't necessarily going to appeal to the same people who read a lot of the fashion magazines and are the model fans like how I am.

That video was funny and it could make some people more aware of how an image is created. Some person don't realise that pictures are airbrushed to death.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alintus
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->