Editor in Chief Successors / Replacements

MON

Reaction score
I saw a thread dated years back about firing Anna and who should succeed and replace her and there was a thread about firing Emmanuelle Alt. The forum has always yearned for "change" in magazines, not just for US and French Vogue, and with that said, I'm interested to know who you guys think should succeed or replace the editors of these renowned fashion magazines (VI, VUK, HB, HB UK, Elle +++)

Vogue Paris - Géraldine Saglio ; not any time soon though. Maybe she could succeed the successor of Alt to give her more training. Her work is amazing.

Vogue UK - Suzanne Koller ; her work is basically meant for British Vogue.

Harper's Bazaar US - Carine Roitfeld ; imagine how much fun she'll have matching her eccentricity with Terry Richardson. The magazine has always produced unconventional editorials (sharks, balloons ++) and I think that's just about the territory of Carine. And to be honest, I can see this happening. She's already inside the Hearst and any moment Glenda or any HB Editor slips, Carine is bound to steal their spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll honestly pull a Werner Herzog and eat my shoe if Katie Grand isn't handed that position on a silver platter after Alexandra leaves. Her career has been so groomed for that position, imo.

Really? There's nothing worth reading in her magazine ever..... And her childish sense of humour and moronic obsessions are hardly Vogue :unsure:

Perhaps Katie Grand actually needs a bit of structure? For some creatives, they actually need to be confined within a certain frame in order to turn out good work?

I wouldn't want Carine at American Bazaar. I really doubt whether she will be able to adjust to the stringent requirements as EIC of such a commercial publication. True Bazaar does experiment a lot with different concepts, but in all fairness it's always safe and and inoffensive. I'm just not sure whether her tendency to ruffle feathers will bear any fruit for Bazaar. That would mean they'll have to deviate away from their current persona, which I just don't think the big wigs will allow. At least not if she cannot guarantee it will be profitable for the title.

Bazaar's figures has been steadily slipping. Glenda's clever enough to take a few risks with models, and throw in a commercial choice such as Jennifer Aniston or Cameron Diaz just to break even. But sooner or later, that just wont cut it anymore.

I would love to see the Aussie Vogue and Bazaar editors replace Shulman and Bailey at their respective higher profile positions. I think they prove every month that they'd excel at running a high end mass market magazine and both their editions are far better then the current British Vogue and American Bazaar.

I have never really seen Katie Grand as a natural heir at UK Vogue, because - like Tatler - social issues seem to come into play at the magazine. The deputy editor of the magazine is the sister of Samantha Cameron, the Prime Minister's wife.

In comparison, Katie Grand putting Kim Kardashian's t-and-a on display in the pages of her magazine, she might as well work for The Sun. It's nothing to do with skill or track record of success, it's that social background and a certain level of "behaviour" might count for more than is apparent at the magazine. Yes, everyone wants their magazine to sell, but at some titles, it might perhaps still be considered possible that you can grab headlines for the wrong reasons.

Vogue Paris - Géraldine Saglio ; not any time soon though. Maybe she could succeed the successor of Alt to give her more training. Her work is amazing.

Initially I didn't think much of Géraldine for VP in general, but she's really been experimenting a lot beyond the magazine lately. Or maybe I just never bothered to pay attention to her work outside of VP. I think with some time she would be excellent heading the fashion direction of a smaller title.

Suzanne Koller at British Vogue?? I'm assuming you mean in the position of fashion director? Because the mere thought of her as EIC would be akin to blasphemy. Tbh Lucinda is pretty great at what she does, I just think she needs a bit of a push at times. What must change at British Vogue is the EIC, and soon.
It seems people still haven't warmed to Suzanne at VP, her edits are normally the least liked. Is it because of the austerity? Maybe she can try a stint at Interview Germany?

At American Vogue I can only picture Natalie Massenet! The all the people who complain about a Brit in charge of US Vogue will finally give it a rest. :lol: I think the next successor would obviously come Anna Wintour approved (don't see her leaving CN anytime soon), so it will be someone with much needed clout. In reality it should be Tonne because I always think of her work as very American, but I don't think she can 'play the game'. Or maybe the polar opposite of Wintour would do them good.

Last edited by a moderator:
At American Vogue I can only picture Natalie Massenet! The all the people who complain about a Brit in charge of US Vogue will finally give it a rest. :lol: I think the next successor would obviously come Anna Wintour approved (don't see her leaving CN anytime soon), so it will be someone with much needed clout. In reality it should be Tonne because I always think of her work as very American, but I don't think she can 'play the game'. Or maybe the polar opposite of Wintour would do them good.

I think Anna is definitely grooming Tonne for the job. They're quite similar, actually, I don't know why you think she's a polar opposite of Anna. Tonne seems very decisive, understands the celebrity business well and it even seems to me that Wintour doesn't micromanage her like she does the rest of the editors and stylists.

Listening to ALT's podcast, they're even starting to sound the same :lol:

I don't want anyone to replace Alt and Anna. I love them both, and I'm a fan of their work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonb199
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->