After Anna : Who Should Be The Next Editor In Chief of Vogue?

I was reading about those rumours regarding the replacement of Wintour with Aliona Dostoyevska, and I was curious to read this thread :smile:

I think Vogue US needs a major face-lift. All the staff there are boring. The only person keeping it young and relevant is probably Andre Leon Tally. Yes he is crazy and eccentric but lets face it - without him it would be boring Wintour, Tonne Goodman and Annie Leibovitz portraits of Nicole Kidman.

They need fresh blood. Someone with a vision.

I, for one, would love to see Katie Grand as Editor-In-Chief. Now THAT would be exciting and interesting!

I, for one, would love to see Katie Grand as Editor-In-Chief. Now THAT would be exciting and interesting!

Katie Grand has already been tapped by Condé Nast UK to start a new magazine... so now she's in the fold.... who knows what the future holds for her... perhaps she'll take a similiar route & maybe one day become EIC of US Vogue.

Anna's Route at Condé Nast to become EIC of US Vogue...
Creative Director of US Vogue
EIC UK Vogue
EIC of US HG [House & Garden]
EIC of US Vogue

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Yeah when I read the news that Katie was now *in* at Conde Nast - I immediately thought they would start to groom her for Wintour's position!!!

Exciting!!

K
Anna's Route at Condé Nast to become EIC of US Vogue...
Creative Director of US Vogue
EIC UK Vogue
EIC of US HG [House & Garden]
EIC of US Vogue

Do you know the dates for her time at Uk VOGUE?

A strong, ruthless, slightly detached yet creative person. Obviously Carine is out of the picture.

Why Anna Wintour Isn't Going Anywhere

Last month, the Times ran a rather flattering profile of Russian Vogue editor Aliona Doletskaya, who’s successfully brought a shot of glamour to Putin’s people. The press got itself in a tizzy over Dolteskaya’s rising star, and last week the Post reported that an announcer at a Russian GQ event flat-out referred to Doletskaya as “the next editor of American Vogue.” Well, that’s going to cause a bit of a freak-out! But we don’t believe a word of it, and here’s why: For the last decade we've heard rumors of Anna Wintour's imminent demise, and yet, the ice queen lives to rule another season. But names will always be bandied about; herewith, a rundown of all the other recent would-be usurpers to her throne.

Kate Betts
Before she took over Harper's Bazaar after Liz Tilberis's tragic passing from ovarian cancer in 1999, Kate Betts was Anna's protege. After playing lady-in-waiting to the queen, Betts jumped at the chance to lead her own magazine--and be the youngest fashion editor-in-chief ever. However, her tenure at Hearst was short-lived; in June, 2001 she was replaced by Glenda Bailey. Betts is currently the editor of Time Style & Design.

Plum Sykes
After Betts left, two people filled the gossip void. First, and the unlikeliest, contributing editor Plum Sykes. Charming, chic, and very social (not to mention British!), people whispered Sykes was being groomed. But the so-called heir apparent, though a regular contributor to the magazine, wasn't part of the day-to-day machinations. Sykes has gone on to a successful career as a novelist--Bergdorf Blondes, The Debutante Divorcee--and is still a contributing editor at Vogue.

Sally Singer
The second person who got tongues wagging was Sally Singer, Betts's replacement as Vogue's fashion news director. The faceless gossips at the Fashion Spot (who are often right when it comes to model news) have pegged Singer as a top contender (still) for the job should Anna resign or be fired. Other names tossed out: Teen Vogue's Amy Astley and Vogue fashion director Virginia Smith.

Carine Roitfeld
There's only one thing to say about French Vogue: It's the best. Carine Roitfeld has long been hailed for both her personal style and her daring magazine. And though her publication is much, much smaller than its American cousin, it gets a lion's share of the attention. (The circulation of Paris Vogue is 133,000, compared to 1.2 million for U.S. Vogue.) Even in the semi-fictional The Devil Wears Prada, the very French Jacqueline Follet nearly steals Miranda Priestly's job. But Carine herself has said she's not interested in La Wintour's gig.

Aliona Doletskaya
Which leads us to Aliona. The Russian Vogue editor has been hailed as a major success. The magazine was launched in a time of economic turmoil and now has a circulation of 200,000. But in a country where people now love to spend on luxury on items, is it no wonder Russian Vogue is doing well? We'd be surprised if it weren't.

Priya Tanna
Up next for the rumor mill? Priya Tanna, Vogue India's much-talked-about editor. You read it here first.

from nymag...
i love the bit about tFS and sally singer...her name was only brought up once in that thread...:lol:

Well, if I have to bare every aspect of my life in a bid to ensure Plum Sykes doesn't become the editor of US Vogue, I'd be prepared to sacrifice my privacy, dignity and sanity.

"After Anna" could be another 20 years. By then, there will be others we don't even know about now who will be great contenders. That broad isn't going anywhere. She'll go straight from the Vogue offices to her pine box.

Anna Wintour Said Replaced By French Counterpart
By Ryan Tate, 12:13 AM on Tue Dec 2 2008

The Waverly Inn was crawling with Condé Nast insiders earlier tonight, some of whom had been waiting as long as 20 years for the appetizer: The hot, delicious rumor that Si Newhouse was meeting in Paris with Carine Roitfeld to work out the final details of the French Vogue editor's move to New York, where she is expected to take over flagship Vogue from Anna Wintour immediately after New Year's. It did not go unnoticed when Condé Nast overlord Newhouse departed early for his annual three-week December vacation in Vienna; it turns out he needed time for his meeting with uptight Wintour's chic Parisian counterpart.

Insiders also arched their eyebrows when Wintour told a reporter at the National Magazine Awards to "Just go away" after she asked about rumors of the editor-in-chief's impending retirement. The touchy reply added to suspicion among insiders that Wintour, who just this past June celebrated two decades atop Vogue, was worried about being pushed out by Newhouse before she'd lined up a soft landing elsewhere. Her purported $2-million-per-year salary is seen as a hindrance, given the state of the economy, in lining up a follow-on fashion gig of the sort that seems natural, post Vogue: creative director at LVMH, that sort of thing.

Whether the palace intrigue at the world's fashion bible unfolds according to the Waverly buzz or not, it is clear the Vogue masthead is not at equilibrium. Wintour in recent years positioned herself as a sort of mini-mogul over various baby Vogues. But this fall, she's fallen back down to earth. The closure of Men's Vogue was a major personal embarrassment. It followed a possibly fatal blow to the Vogue Living experiment and the cancellation of Fashion Rocks. Worst of all, it came amid slipping numbers at Vogue itself, as competitors leveraged reality television to undermine the title's dominance over the world of fashion.

The poor performance surely undermined Wintour within Condé Nast. But even if the legendary editor-from-hell still had Si Newhouse's full support, there's the issue of personal satisfaction: Wintour could hardly be expected to content herself with a downgrade from "editorial director" of a magazine collection to mere editor-in-chief of a single title, shrinking in ad pages and influence. Even if Wintour does not yet realize that, Newhouse surely does. Thus we see the unwelcome rumors of her retirement in the tabloids. And so it may be that a French revolution comes to Vogue in January 2009.
source: Gawker

OH MY GOD. I am absolutely speechless. :ninja::shock:

Can't really see this happening...at least not this soon/drastically. Not only is this straight out of the Devil Wears Prada script, trying to mold Carine's aesthetics into Vogue US...? I'm really not sure if it'll help the magazine with its current readership at all. And in the worst case scenario, if it comes down to requiring Carine to change her own artistic visions to "fit" the American market, I'd rather not see that happen
ninja.gif
She's perfect where she is.

I said the same thing in Anna's thread, but I guess I'll post it again here :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is totally life imitating art.
(Jacqueline vs Miranda in Devil Wears Prada!) :lol::ninja:

I have to agree with Faith. Carine wouldn't have a clue what to do with US Vogue... and that's not a bad thing. She's even said herself she has no interest in editing it.

This rumor is too good not to be moved to this thread from the business of mags.

Let it rip people :lol:

^ I agree Faith I mean US Vogue has soccer moms to cater to. Do you honestly think they would be interested in seeing Lara Stone stomping down 5th avenue with her t*ts flying everywhere? No. That would honestly be so disheartening.

anyways here's an article of Carine discussing American magazines
flowers.gif

Speculation about Roitfeld’s coming to America to helm a great American title (Bazaar, Vogue) is endless—not least because of the Devil Wears Prada plotline in which Machiavellian Miranda is temporarily ditched for Jacqueline Follet, who is sleeker and more laid-back.
In reality, it’s hard to imagine Roitfeld running a big, corporate American magazine. She is free to be the Rizzo to America’s Sandy because French Vogue is so small—and it’s a role that suits her. American Vogue has a circulation of 1.3 million, and it is a huge business, a massively lucrative brand, starring triple-A-list actresses, glossy socialites, and, of course, models. But part of becoming the editor of a big American magazine is wanting it, and Roitfeld does not. “My best quality is to be stylist. I never think about this career, this big job,” she says. “I never wanted to be what I am today, and I will not die in the position.” She still finds the idea of an office with a door where she’s expected every day (at least by telephone) somewhat troubling. All she ever wanted was to be surrounded by very attractive people and very expensive clothes. It’s always been “fashion, fashion, fashion”—so much so that she lists beauty and jewelry as evidence that the job as editor-in-chief has expanded her range of interests.

And she doesn’t care much for the business aspect of fashion. In an industry where accessories count for the bulk of her advertisers’ revenue, she has this to say: “Right now I think that fashion in the world becomes a bit boring. There is so much money, and I feel a bit when you go to shows they want to sell so many handbags, and for me, well, I do not like handbags. I do not wear handbags. It is not a nice look, to carry a handbag.”

“I’m not a business girl,” Roitfeld says. “I will never be a business girl, but I will say, for Anna Wintour, that I respect successful people, I like things that are success. But this is really American.”
source: NYMAG

I hope this rumour isn't true. IF Anna gets replaced, only Tonne (or MAYBE ALT (too eccentric) or Grace (too old)) is the best fit I could think of off the top of my head.

Carine would be all colours of wrong for US Vogue, if that came true and she actually took the job, i think it might end ugly.

Well, if I have to bare every aspect of my life in a bid to ensure Plum Sykes doesn't become the editor of US Vogue, I'd be prepared to sacrifice my privacy, dignity and sanity.
I'm right there with you, dont think she has a shot, but that would be a nightmare come true.

That said, Plum Sykes did recently do an interesting article about sleeves (about the only decent thing I've seen her do).

My wish is always for Joan Juliet Buck, but maybe she doesn't want to get back in the game.

^^That was a good article indeed, sometimes she can be less annoying, i also enjoyed her article about brooches in one of the previous issues, but her Moss interview was awful and shows how bad she is when it comes to interviews.

I think Grace C. would be the perfect next choice for eic, cant see it happening though.

Considering that Anna Wintour has just finished devouring the prerequisite enchanted spiders that will allow her to become invincible I doubt she's going anywhere. At least not until she ascends into demonic form and storms through the Conde offices destroying everything in her sight. I can see editors cowering in their Louboutins as she traps them in her cavernous maw.

Look I found her todo list:

2ptvvqw.jpg

I'll believe she's leaving when I see the enchanted swords and horcruxes that it's going to take to kill her.

Image Credit | Buffyworld

^^While she is busz destroying CN offices, tell her to get a manicure will ya?That is just bad. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chooch McGhee
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->