Emanuele Farneti Named Editor-in-Chief of Vogue Italia & L'Uomo Vogue

I actually have no qualms about his gender. It's more his experience, or lack thereof, which bothers me. This is one of the top 4 Vogues in fashion. His stint at Flair was quite a few years ago. Fashion has changed! (shamelessly referencing the white-shoe wearing juror in Serial Mom here :lol:). But seriously, fashion is more conservative and politically correct as we speak. Of course we need new ideas, but I doubt whether he'll have much carte blanche. Maybe getting a functioning fashion professional who could navigate within this fickle landscape would have been a better idea.

Anyway, he's got his work cut out for him. Other than the dire sales reports and updating the layout of the mag, there's still much on his plate. VI may seem to have more freedom than the other three, but there's a lot of politics involved. You have the old guard houses who insist on certain covers for certain months, photographers and stylists who believe that they have unlimited creative liberty when working for this magazine. That there is an excessive amount of ego to stroke or moderate.

Vogue Italia is a global magazine, it actually has very little to do with Italy. They're not about trends like VP, or celebrities like US Vogue, or a women's magazine like British Vogue. It's more about using fashion as a storytelling tool in the medium of imagery. Strip that away and you may as well throw in the towel since the majority of their readers are from abroad. Then again, VP's international audience decreased drastically since Alt took over, and the magazine is still here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty skeptical about this... It's hard to have an opinion. I guess you can't judge him for his GQ work... But I don't know if he will be able to approach womenswear high fashion successfully.

Anyway, he is a "new" name for international HF and that's very welcomed. Thank god the new eic is not a fusty stylist... We just have to wait and see.

Emanuele Farneti named editor in chief of Vogue Italia, L’Uomo Vogue

vogue-italia.emanuele-farneti-465.png

By STAFF REPORTS

Emanuele Farneti has been selected as Vogue Italia’s new editor in chief after Franca Sozzani passed away in December.

Mr. Farneti moves over to Vogue Italia and menswear title L’Uomo Vogue from Condé Nast’s GQ Italy and prior positions at La Gazzetta dello Sport, Sportsweek, Men’s Health, Flair, Icon and Architectural Digest. Since Vogue Italia’s founding in 1966 by Samuel Irving Newhouse, the publication has only had two editor in chiefs: Ms. Sozzani and the late Franco Sartori who launched the title.

A new chapter
Vogue Italia has been incredibly successful under the direction of Ms. Sozzani for nearly 30 years. During her time at the publication, Vogue Italia reached a readership of more than 1 million.

Under her direction, Vogue Italia launched its Web site. The February 2010 launch was the first time a fashion magazine created an online portal. Today the site has more than 2 million monthly uniques and 33 million page views per month.

Ms. Sozzani passed away in December after a year-long illness

Jonathan Newhouse, chairman and chief executive of Condé Nast International, announced Mr. Farneti’s appointment Jan. 20.

In a statement shared with Condé Nast staff and published by Vogue Italia, Mr. Newhouse said, “Emanuele, who has been at the helm of eight different publications in his career, is currently one of the most expert, admired and talented editor in chiefs we have in Italy.

He is considered a real ‘magazine maker’ able to bring novelties, fresh layouts and high quality to each title he directed,” he said. “As we all know, Emanuele succeeds the extraordinary Franca Sozzani, whose geniality made Vogue Italia and L’Uomo Vogue points of reference worldwide in terms of fashion and photography.

“Franca was a one and only. However, Franca herself recognized that Vogue stands for itself despite the creativity of each individual. She knew and respected Emanuele and I think she would have approved.”

luxurydaily.com

He's got some pretty big shoes to fill, I hope he's going to do great.

I actually have no qualms about his gender. It's more his experience, or lack thereof, which bothers me. This is one of the top 4 Vogues in fashion. His stint at Flair was quite a few years ago. Fashion has changed! (shamelessly referencing the white-shoe wearing juror in Serial Mom here :lol:). But seriously, fashion is more conservative and politically correct as we speak. Of course we need new ideas, but I doubt whether he'll have much carte blanche. Maybe getting a functioning fashion professional who could navigate within this fickle landscape would have been a better idea.

Anyway, he's got his work cut out for him. Other than the dire sales reports and updating the layout of the mag, there's still much on his plate. VI may seem to have more freedom than the other three, but there's a lot of politics involved. You have the old guard houses who insist on certain covers for certain months, photographers and stylists who believe that they have unlimited creative liberty when working for this magazine. That there is an excessive amount of ego to stroke or moderate.

Vogue Italia is a global magazine, it actually has very little to do with Italy. They're not about trends like VP, or celebrities like US Vogue, or a women's magazine like British Vogue. It's more about using fashion as a storytelling tool in the medium of imagery. Strip that away and you may as well throw in the towel since the majority of their readers are from abroad. Then again, VP's international audience decreased drastically since Alt took over, and the magazine is still here.

Carine Roitfeld had no experience at all when she took VP. She was just a respected and influencial french stylist. The one with a real experience was Emmanuelle Alt who was the EIC of various magazines over the years. Emmanuelle was the one who knew the "how to do the work".

Carine's fresh eye was successfull in a way because she has the right team and choose to focus on style but while the magazine became more international, she has also damaged certain aspects of it.

So, i don't buy the lack of experience thing. His work will be to find the right talents to bring his vision around.

VI imo is really the magazine which let the photographers fullfield their vision.

The fact that Newhouse choose a journalist instead of a stylist (VP has a stylist because the magazine is about style above all) shows a continuity in the vision.

The big question will be about Meisel involvement.
I hope he will choose young italian talents.

I expect this to be very different from Franca and it has to be...Because that's what changes are for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally a straight white male in charge of a fashion magazine :angel:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->