Fashion Terms/Terminology and Abbreviations

^ Well, we certainly use both now ... if anyone has a copy of the OED, it has the full story on everything ...

just wondering if there is a name for this...
the bag, the design of the flap, i've seen it on a pocket,
the way the sides curve down to a point in the centre, with a button
does the pocket have a name?
29yrz94.jpg

screencapheaven.com | Movie: The Illusionist

Last edited by a moderator:
wow you're right :o
scalloped pockets

thank you

the pocket i have seen is quite like the one in the picture/s (i put the link there)
but where the button is in the center, the point is not round
but very sharp
like a V
the scallops go down into a V
maybe just part of the design.. i thought maybe i see it often in old movies with military scenes

Is this a coat or a dress ?It doesn't look two-piece to me

style.com

i would say that would "count" as a double breast coat... although the seam seems to stop where the buttoning ends, and it becomes a skirt below that point.
interesting construction, but i wonder how would you wear that... there aren't that many events (sp. in winter) when you wouldnt remove your coat, are there? it'd be just a little weird to see someone taking off her jacket by sliding it down to her feet...
a shopping outfit perhaps? you can walk around the streets without being cold, and you only have to remove one piece of clothing in the fitting rooms! how practical! :P

tumblr_la36xtWdU21qztxibo1_400.jpg

What is the style of this neckline called? It's square, but it's very steep and hits very closely to the start of armhole. I did some searching, and "empire neckline" showed up, but I can't quite tell if that must be accompanied by the empire waist. Hm.. Anyone?

Image found at moonratus.tumblr.com who has posted the question herself.

:ermm:It reminds me of those 18th century dresses...if that helps at all

I don't know if there is a name for the neckline, but I've seen that in medieval costume. Actually a strapless bodice called kirtle, and the sleeve/back piece is separate and worn over top. Design changes though, so sometimes they are one-piece. Don't know the name of the sleeve garment, I did notice that there was a couple shown in recent collections at fashion week

The Chanel dress is one piece, connected by the double breasted feature and then it flares out @ what I guess you could call the princess seam line or the R/L of the placket. It looks like a pencil skirt with a cropped jacket, but I really don't think it is...It's a coat dress and people do wear them. Very chic really.

what does these pleats in front of the dress call? not only this dress, there are some pants have pleats like that. I wonder if there's a term?

on00121366x2048.jpg

style.com

No ... I don't actually think so. A box pleat is a square type pleat, as apposed to an accordian pleat, which is more common. Box pleats are often sewn down to about the hips, but also can be loose from the waistband.

Box pleats:

5006028633_44ba5dbef2.jpg

It might be Inverted Box Pleats:

5006028577_092ba9c005.jpg

Looking at this closely, it looks more like a gore (or a godet) ... which is a separate piece of V shaped fabric sewn in to a seam that has been cut open, to make the skirt flare.

Gore:

Wikipedia

^ Yes, I meant the inverted one. Looks like it's cut on the bias (hard to tell exactly what's going on without more shots of different angles) with 2 inverted box pleats in front ...

Is there a name for this kind of shoe with a block heel and single strap by the toe?

How about the way the sort-of-ankle-strap is, starting at mid-side there? Is there a name for that?

1511201040_1_1_3.jpg

(This one is from Zara, did not fit me at all but would love to find similar.)

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Shoeclueless

Can someone explain what bias cut means? Like a bias cut dress or a skirt. I did a Google image search but I'm still a bit confused.

I know how it fits, but I don't know how to make one. If a dress is cut at the bias it means it will shape itself after your body. When it hangs on a hanger, a bias cut dress will be very long and look like a size XXXXS or something like that. Once you put it on, it will get shorter as it moulds to your body. The dress will "stretch", without using elastan and without klinging to your body. It is a great kind of cut because it doesn't matter as much if your dress size changes.

I think the fabric is cut when the fibres are "at an angle", not perfectly vertical and horizontal, but I am not sure about this. Some bias cut dresses are made from varios pannels of fabric, so that it has a stretchy-quality.

Very popular in the 30s:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->