Fashion Terms/Terminology and Abbreviations

What is dlg that some people put at the end of their post?
:lol:

.. that's not 'some people', that's member daddy's little girl haha . I was very confused about it.. but then realised some people do posts like they were letters. :huh:

What is this fabric called?

00150m.jpg
00170m.jpg

style.com, Fendi & Ralph Lauren, f/w 05

i know the ralph lauren one is kinda usual leather, but usually, those jackets are in another type of leather, sortof like the Fendi. It's not plain leather, and it's not suede. Could anyone help me?

elschic111 I was always under the impression those skirts were known as "hankerchief skirts". I could be wrong, but I'm just going with what I've always heard & called them.

hey guys..i've been looking all over the place for the names of the following:
and then...the term for the skirt shape with "points" at the hip...not sure how to describe it..:blush:

photos from style.com

I would call this 'tulip' shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help...
I want to find a similar jacket to this or find a pattern similar to make one & I was just wondering what that kind of neckline would be called... where it snaps across like that? And maybe the name of the style of jacket?

Heres the picture...
Photo from imageshadow.com & TFS/MK&A thread
Filename000455248.jpg

here's the thing,
dont know if right thread
but looking for info on superstition in haute couture
construction, i mean, the sewers (is that a word, sounds dirty), artisans etc.
i know im being vague
but vague is all i got.
something about if you drop a needle , this happens etc.
and this cigarette.
its relating to a documentary i saw on arte few months ago.
yes i contacted arte, but they thought i was crazy
etc. the usual.

i know,
worst question phrasing ever
etc.

it does sound a bit offtopic but i think i happen to know what you are asking!
is the documentary you watched Signe Chanel? It's available on youtube and the chapter where they talk about superstition is Called Rituals (they talk about niddles, scissors dropping, dresses falling, and what all that measn)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVHOk2IQP0&NR=1
(minute 6,20 aprox)

don't know if anyone's mentioned it before...
but some dictionaries with fashion terms are really helpful...if you are working professionally in the field:P

"The Fairchild Dictionary of Fashion", third edition, is extremely good:heart:
"Dictionary of Fashion and Fashion Designers", by Thames and Hudson, is good enough if you want a general reference^_^

Hope it's been helpful!

What is this fabric called?

i know the ralph lauren one is kinda usual leather, but usually, those jackets are in another type of leather, sortof like the Fendi. It's not plain leather, and it's not suede. Could anyone help me?

if it's the inside of the collar at ralph lauren you are talking about, i would call that mouton retournée or peau lainee...
which in english would be "double faced lambskin??" that is the only translation i could find! hope it is usefull!

What exactly does Sample Sale mean? I know it's a sale with huge price markdowns, but why in particular is it called a sample sale?

What exactly does Sample Sale mean? I know it's a sale with huge price markdowns, but why in particular is it called a sample sale?

Probably because they're selling samples :wink: Which I believe would be items worn on the runway/shown to buyers/shown at trunk shows.

What's a stacked heel?

Here's one ... this one is Gucci. As you can see, it's a stack. I believe the traditional way is to make them of wood, these days I think they're leather.

Attachments

• stacked heel.png
    stacked heel.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 4
^ You're welcome :flower:

Now I have a question ... can someone please explain what court shoes are? :huh:

^ That's interesting--I had always assumed it meant the royal court, but as I say, I know less than nothing about this :wink: I always see it in British novels, articles, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->