Fashion Terms/Terminology and Abbreviations

"Ad hoc" is latin and means "for this particular purpose". It's generally used to describe any custom solution in any field, so it's not fashion specific.

Thank you, Tott! Its cos Ive seen it a lot in the articles in vogue! Thanx again!

Taille, the French word for "size" or "waist" also means "cut with precision;"

tear sheet...what does it mean exactly?

I did a search for the word and no match was found. Please forgive me if this has already been answered.

:flower:

Thanks for any input. :smile:

a tear sheet is something you've taken (ripped out) from a magazine or newspaper that shows your proof of publication. For example, if you styled an editorial for a magazine, you can take it out of the magazine it was in and put it in your portfolio or give to a publisher, or if you wrote an article in a newspaper, you can cut the clipping out...etc...

what is a capsule collection? if someone asks u to collaborate with them and do a capsule collection- what does it mean?

^ Capsule collecton = a small, focused collection

At least that's the way I interpret it...

What does flagship mean? As in, say, "Prada has opened its first flagship store." :flower:

It's like their Main, biggest and most important boutique. Like there might be smaller ones that don't carry the whole line, but the flagship should have the most selection, and generally be in the must desirable location.

That's my understanding

hey guys..i've been looking all over the place for the names of the following:
whatneckline.jpg
whatnecklinethakoon.jpg

(the necklines above)

and then...the term for the skirt shape with "points" at the hip...not sure how to describe it..:blush:
whatskirtdonnakaran.jpg

photos from style.com

what exactly is a designer's showroom, as opposed to their store?

is a showroom a place where all the clothes are on display for buyers to look at them? and if so does that mean they are not for sale? is entrance restricted only to buyers or open to the public?

^ A designer's showroom is for buyers and and PR basically. Strictly professional, no public admittance.

elschic, i would too only call that "off-the-shoulder". For the skirt, i'm not sure. The skirt on the picture i would define as pencil, but that's not because of the "points", but if you're interested in getting one, Vivienne Westwood has an adorable grey version for sale on www.net-a-porter.com/intl

here's the thing,
dont know if right thread
but looking for info on superstition in haute couture
construction, i mean, the sewers (is that a word, sounds dirty), artisans etc.
i know im being vague
but vague is all i got.
something about if you drop a needle , this happens etc.
and this cigarette.
its relating to a documentary i saw on arte few months ago.
yes i contacted arte, but they thought i was crazy
etc. the usual.

i know,
worst question phrasing ever
etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eneida
Back