French Style!

for one that spends quite some weeks in Paris every now and a while, i'd say the article is -as usual coming from Guardian style section- rude and half true.

yes, french guys wear scarves and women like to take care of how they walk out of their apartments ..but sunglasses? fur? thats so more "italian" than french.

total looks? helmets? please..
seems like the author has not step in paris for the last 30 years or something..
she needs to take a closer look at how the people (much more the young people) dress down the channel :innocent:

i really dont get the non stop bitchyness from the Guardian
(a newspaper i always trust for politics )
what's wrong with these people.. :rolleyes:

and thanks for bringing the artcile in kit :flower:
once again, its not your fault if the Guadrian girls are in a rude mood ,
rudeness and bitchyness, thats what i call ..'totally out of style'

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 15th, 2004 - 10:29 am
for one that spends quite some weeks in Paris every now and a while, i'd say the article is -as usual coming from Guardian style section- rude and half true.

yes, french guys wear scarves and women like to take care of how they walk out of their apartments ..but sunglasses? fur? thats so more "italian" than french.

seems like the author has not step in paris for the last 30 years or something..
she needs to take a closer look at how the people (much more the young people) dress down the channel :innocent:

Slightly off-topic, but every time I read New York Times article's about Russia, I find them half-true as well, which naturally makes me take all their other articles with the grain of salt. I think one really has to LIVE somewhere for a while in order to right a truthful, non-biased representation.

i've noticed the guardian's articles have got worse ever since they started targeting their articles at the American audience.

this quote is the most insulting, rude and ignorant i have ever read:
5: Pancake or au naturel
If you are over 35, slap on the full face of makeup, including lippy, before even your husband sees you in the mornings

I had never heard of Hadley Freeman, but I see a lot of complainning letters written to her in the next days.

Valid points indeed , LENA :heart:

It's just that I have a friend in Paris , Ann-Marie , who has totally ungraded deep red hair - a colour that British girls would consider to be ' unnatural ' , perhaps .

As a Frenchwoman , Anne-Marie carries it off with typical Parisian aplomb !!!!

KIT :innocent:

the guardian seems the equivalent of the NY post...another rag... :blink:

Originally posted by kit@Mar 15th, 2004 - 7:13 pm

It's just that I have a friend in Paris , Ann-Marie , who has totally ungraded deep red hair - a colour that British girls would consider to be ' unnatural ' , perhaps .

Parisian women are real very very few (like in every modern city, most people come either from the countryside or from abroad)
anyway, Paris is a city where people (including guys) are not scared to look 'non-natural' you can find bright pink or purple hair everywhere in the world, or starnge cut hair like in the most weird way..

local stereotypes make me mad in the global environment, really
we all live in the same kind of culture, buy the same products , get bombarded by the same advertising, see the same films/tv soaps, i cant see what's the big deal..

some love dividing people, i can see those roots being valid in the past (15+years ago) but not anymore, the world is a changing playground and some journalists seem to be missing the point :angry:

hehehhee enough (now back to work for a while)

Maybe it's just me again, but I wouldn't have thought these very articles are aimed at people (like a lot of those here) who work directly with fashion. The she who wrote this spent two hours in the place and considers herself an expert and an expert who didn't even organise it for herself to be there for the fashion week (something you'd think someone attempting to sum up a nation's style would do). Anyway, sensationalism seems to be the way to go for some of the current fashion journalists, they are all too ready to exaggerate if it means the odd stranger tells them they could have made it as a comedian.

I wouldn't have thought fashion was high on their priorities at Guardian and maybe the same could be said for most of the readers. The writer is probably told to compose something amusing, maybe based on some truth and to hope it appeals to those who buy papers but never buy vogue. Right, anyways, I wouldn't bother feeling insulted by her comments, even if she calls herself a fashion journalist, I don't know how seriously she actually takes the subject or what could be her own poor humour :wacko:

I think that the only thing in that article that seems even remotely true about French people are the little dogs. :lol: But I think the article propogates more gender stereotypes than anything. Don't let your husband see you without a full face of makeup? Pullleaze. :rolleyes:

I am almost certain had Hadley posted her thoughts, and the thoughts of that article here, she would have included a lot of :lol: :lol: :lol: s, because she is just dressing stereotypes up in a bow to be taken with breakfast because she doesn't realise there will be people dissecting her work, as she would dissect others (were she bothered) on the internet. I think :shock:

i agree strawberry & banana..
problem is that articles like this are misleading the public towards a much imaginative 'reality' which plainly doesnt exist ..

to say that french do not wear coloured lense eyewear is simply ridiculous,
much more while most of eyewear for the last two years have been mainly 'coloured lenses' a look at Parisian streets could save the journalist mucho embarashement..

(i'm seriously thinking of writting a letter to the Guardian.. after all and together with the Indepented, its my fave UK newspaper :cry: )

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Mar 15th, 2004 - 1:45 pm
I am almost certain had Hadley posted her thoughts, and the thoughts of that article here, she would have included a lot of :lol: :lol: :lol: s, because she is just dressing stereotypes up in a bow to be taken with breakfast because she doesn't realise there will be people dissecting her work, as she would dissect others (were she bothered) on the internet. I think :shock:
i agree...it's fluff...not to be taken seriously...

Originally posted by softgrey+Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:21 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:21 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-strawberry daiquiri@Mar 15th, 2004 - 1:45 pm
i agree...it's fluff...not to be taken seriously... [/b][/quote]
AGREED :heart:

That's why I posted it . :rolleyes:

KIT :wink:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 15th, 2004 - 6:58 pm
we all live in the same kind of culture, buy the same products , get bombarded by the same advertising, see the same films/tv soaps, i cant see what's the big deal..

some love dividing people, i can see those roots being valid in the past (15+years ago) but not anymore, the world is a changing playground and some journalists seem to be missing the point :angry:
Well... In some ways we are very much alike, in some other ways not, but I think we're certainly more alike than different.

There are still cultural differences between different parts of Europe, or between US/Europe.

Anyway, the article is a joke, I agree with you all. One of the stereotypes I don't understand is that Parisians are rude. I've had friends tell me this too. Practically everyone I met was very nice!

I believe the reason people were nice to me, although I speak practically no French what-so-ever, was that I remembered to be polite. To say "Bonjour, madame/monsieur. Parlez-vouz anglais?" and not just starting to chat away. I mean, if you are rude to Parisians, why should they be polite to you?

Originally posted by tott+Mar 15th, 2004 - 3:04 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tott @ Mar 15th, 2004 - 3:04 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@Mar 15th, 2004 - 6:58 pm

Well... In some ways we are very much alike, in some other ways not, but I think we're certainly more alike than different.

There are still cultural differences between different parts of Europe, or between US/Europe.

Anyway, the article is a joke, I agree with you all. One of the stereotypes I don't understand is that Parisians are rude. I've had friends tell me this too. Practically everyone I met was very nice!

I believe the reason people were nice to me, although I speak practically no French what-so-ever, was that I remembered to be polite. To say "Bonjour, madame/monsieur. Parlez-vouz anglais?" and not just starting to chat away. I mean, if you are rude to Parisians, why should they be polite to you? [/b][/quote]
hey tott-my take on why everyone thinks parisians are rude...it's a very busy metropolis and moves at a very fast pace...all major cities are stressful places to live...i think this stress can come accross as rude...but they act that way towards each other just as much as they do towards foreigners...it's just life in the big city and some people aren't used to it...
it's very much the same here in ny...

i love paris :heart:

Hey All!
Im new to this site but Im loving all the threads!

I just wanted to know, if anyone has an insight into real Frech fashion?
Me and my friends were flicking through a mag and it said that French women are the most stylist. They only have a certain amount of clothes that they wear over and over again and manage to look so compleatly stylish!
I wanna know their secrets!!!!!!! Lol
And if its true or not because we all know sometimes fashion mags do exaggerate!!!
LOL
so if anyone can help me out..........THANK YOU!!! :heart:

I don't believe the French are the most stylish. We perceive this idea because in times past fashion came from Europe to the USA.

But now, the roles are switching as Hollywood has become more globalized and celebrities (Americans) have become more known on a global level.

There are stylish people everywhere, they're just not as publicized.

To answer your question as to what French women wear, why, they wear the very same things we wear here. It's just a matter of cultural taste and what is defined tasteful or fashionably deviant.

Another factor as to why we perceive the French as having more style, or being more fashionable, is because they have so much more confidence in their own personal style.

As my personal quote goes "Style is what you have, not what you buy" so you can purchase everything a French woman has in her wardrobe, but if you can't pull it off like she can, then what's the point?

By the way, welcome to the forums. :heart:

I agree with the above. I find Paris a very much 'has been' city. Just in terms that it used to be the centre of thought and literary achievments and new things happening but isn't anymore. That was just my own personal perspective of when I was in Paris. I find that there are stylish people everywhere but that there are new places. I find that british women are generally more likely to wear what they want with flair than parisians but then again it's just a different style. It's really hard to define. You just have to know what your style is and be comfortable enough with yourself to wear what you want.

well...i was in paris two weeks ago...and everytime i go...i am reminded how great that city is and why they are so much more stylish than most other places in the world...
i agree that they do have great confidence in themselves, which is a big part of it...but they are also not so obsessed with overt sexuality and showing lots of skin...

they have more of a 'sensuality'...

they are not afraid to wear something that does not necessarily show off their hips and waist...something more boxy...and they wear lots of flat shoes as well as lots of heels...there is not on definitive way to look...each woman wears what looks best on her..and this is what i think sets them apart...
they are not such trend victims...they know what works and stick to it....giving it their own personal touch...they never look like they are trying too hard... they do not follow some hollywood machine or celebrity style guide...they do what works for themselves...

that is the definition of style for me...
and the cliche about the scarves is true...both men and women wear them in innumerable ways...

thanks for the interesting topic geha... :flower: welcome aboard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->