Male Style Usa/italy

Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 2 2004, 06:41 PM
yeah...i guess when i leave the city and travel around the country...even in the suburbs of ny...there is the very boring 'uniform' that the american male wears...
but i feel like the teens and twenty-somethings are more style conscious so it's changing... :buzz: !!!
[snapback]354549[/snapback]​
Yeah, the only problem with that is most guys my age (I'm 19) are scared to wear anything other than what everyone else is wearing. So, while this demographic is growing more stylish, it tends to not be individual style. Instead, it's an improvement in typical teen follow-the-leader style. At least that's how I see it around here. I'm sure there are exceptions throughout the country. At least I hope so...

it's still better than cargo shorts and a polo or t- shirt...with wht sneakers...and white socks...

better than khakis with a brown belt and brown shoes...

:clap:

Originally posted by AlexN@Sep 2 2004, 06:37 PM
Me neither. But compared to what most other guys wear around here, I stick out like a sore thumb at times, which I like. And girls love it. :wink: I think it just makes other guys insecure, so they feel the need to be stupid about it to make themselves look more macho or whatever. :rolleyes:
[snapback]354537[/snapback]​

but who gets the girl? you, baby. so let them jeer and suck their thumbs :lol:

Originally posted by faust@Sep 3 2004, 10:04 AM
but who gets the girl? you, baby. so let them jeer and suck their thumbs :lol:
[snapback]355162[/snapback]​
Damn straight! B)

Umm, to the p*rn star T-shirts...I never saw any..and italian men wearing skin-tight jeans? Not where I was, they just don't wear them like Kevin Federline - but who does...? They have excellent style, along with the Spanish... And I do think that american men in comparison are tied up in a masculine image thing, making them uncomfortable wearing certain colors for example - but maybe things have changed. As to men in New York, I :heart: NY, but honestly,... to each their own, that's what's fun about fashion - right? And yes, there is a reaon NY is also a fashion capital... Eurotrash, lol guilty, but once the guys have calmed down a bit, they dress extremely well. I'm talking about everyday people here, not just people that work somewhere where they have to style, or who are interested in fashion, it's your normal, everyday get up. No sweat suits or track suits to go to the corner store... Actually, I really don't care what a guy wears, as long as it's clean, is his style, he looks comfortable in it and it's flattering to him,.....and he has a great personality.

I'd probably agree that the "default setting" for Italian men is probably better that that of the average US or British guy, and that they're on the whole more comfortable with the notion of taking a pride in ones appearance. But in general, I think that this idea that italians are innately stylish is rubbish. If the only way of being stylish was wearing crumpled linen and white trousers, then maybe, but outside those parameters I'm not sure they hold up to much scrutiny. Eurotrash is alive and well in the Mediteranean I can tell you. I took a 30 minute walk around Cannes last week, and by God, stylish they are NOT! And I think that a lot of them were Italians (Italian holidays). I'm not saying - in general - British or US men are better, but I think that guys from US/UK (I suppose by htat I really mean NY and London mostly) who are aware of fashion are better at it that their Italian cousins.

Okay, somebody post some pictures of how the averge Italian guy dresses. I wanna see some examples !!! - Especially compared to North American men!

Originally posted by Johnny@Sep 7 2004, 11:57 AM
If the only way of being stylish was wearing crumpled linen and white trousers, then maybe, but outside those parameters I'm not sure they hold up to much scrutiny.
[snapback]358331[/snapback]​

:lol: so true! I see these 40 year olds all over Soho drooling on the model-wannabies.

Originally posted by Hed_Kandi@Sep 7 2004, 12:15 PM
Okay, somebody post some pictures of how the averge Italian guy dresses. I wanna see some examples !!! - Especially compared to North American men!
[snapback]358351[/snapback]​

please get off the bold button...it's jarring to read...thank you...

Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 2 2004, 06:41 PM
yeah...i guess when i leave the city and travel around the country...even in the suburbs of ny...there is the very boring 'uniform' that the american male wears...
but i feel like the teens and twenty-somethings are more style conscious so it's changing... :buzz: !!!
[snapback]354549[/snapback]​

i don't know what cities you've traveled in lately, but even the young tend to cling to a uniform of polos, cargos, and flip flops or sneakers depending on the season. i think this article is very much true. even in new york, there's a definite divide between how the average guy dresses and how a stylish guy dresses. i think of a man-bag as something without an obvious functionality. a book bag or brief case or back pack is not a man bag. messengers can be considered a man bag and once you get into bags that cannot hold anything but personal effects...those are what most people consider the man-purse.

but i think it works both ways. i was in cleveland recently and while sitting in a vip room there was a group of russian men and this almost model looking woman...well everyone thought the russian men were gay bc of how they were dressed...i think gq magazine had a really good article this month about the "american ***hole" although i think that men in new york and LA tend to dress better (especially at night) there's still a marked difference in how a stylish guy dresses in the US and how foreigners dress...a new york investment banker will never look half as good in gucci as the average italian guy...they just wear their clothes differently.

i think this would be more typical for an italian guy:

HED KANDI !!! :wink:

If you are prepared to work your way through THIS :-

http://www.firstview.com/MENfall2004/DOLCE...BANA/index.html

I think you will have SOME idea of the way FASHIONABLE YOUNG ITALIANS have this studiedly provocative way of dressing .

The French guys are far too conservative , except on the catwalk . You rarely see a young French ' fashion plate ' walking on Foubourg St. Honore or the Boule Miche .

Young English fashionable guys dress like ACID'S selection , on his thread , in ' Designers and collections ' . Just go to Hoxton or Shoreditch at weekend .

Young Spanish guys dress more like Italians , with a bit of American ' preppy ' thrown into the mix . Just walk up and down Passeig de Gracia in Barcelona to spot them .

Hope you will now be somewhat the wiser . :blink:

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by kit@Sep 7 2004, 02:33 PM
HED KANDI !!! :wink:

If you are prepared to work your way through THIS :-

http://www.firstview.com/MENfall2004/DOLCE...BANA/index.html

[snapback]358458[/snapback]​

Okay, I some what understand you. Below, I have included several pics of clothing that I have and i would wear. These pics reflect my personal style:

262-203-38-L.jpg

222-204-38-L.jpg

8.jpg

15.jpg

00026.L.JPG

00033.L.JPG

00042.L.JPG

00030.L.JPG

00047.L.JPG

So...how would you define it ?

i don't know what cities you've traveled in lately

lately-ny, chicago, LA, London, las vegas

the most offensive was vegas...hands down...

but i did see the stupid white guy uniforn of khaki cargo shorts, t shirt or polo and flip flops or sneakers way too often...sometimes with a baseball cap...my least favorite accessory...

but this was always on a guy in his late twenties and up...the younger kids are much more creative and metrosexual...

i think you're in new england right...where it's prepster heaven...did they ever stop wearing polo shirts???... it's so damn conservative up there..i can't belive you are seeing men with man purses...i don't think i've ever seen a man with a bag that wasn't obvioulsy functional...ie-laptop, books, paperwork, gym bag...etc...not even the euro guys with extremely questionable taste...i don;t know... :unsure:

that's what i'm seeing...and i'm actively looking and paying attention...

I like Gaultier with tailored. And some leather.

And I have a penchant for large cuff bracelets. Even though I don't have any at this point. Perreti for Tiffany has a nice one. As does Verdura.

[So...how would you define it ?
[snapback]358489[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Very.........Italian! All Italian designers except for one - was it Marc Jacobs?

This from Dolce is very Italian..
00040.L.JPG

I've mainly been in Milan, and the men there dress fabulous! I feel that american men are more "rugged", with their white tees and jeans (or khakis). Norwegian men dress somewhere in between. Men from Stockholm in Sweden dress extremely well!

Originally posted by scandinavianchic@Sep 8 2004, 05:37 AM
This from Dolce is very Italian.. I've mainly been in Milan, and the men there dress fabulous! I feel that american men are more "rugged", with their white tees and jeans (or khakis). Norwegian men dress somewhere in between. Men from Stockholm in Sweden dress extremely well!
[right][snapback]359151[/snapback][/right]
[/b][/quote]

Rugged? That's such a gentle way to describe these stupid slobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->