French Style!

She's a member here: Aby
blog in signature

Last edited by a moderator:
Something from my childhood which I absolutely loved and have remembered often was a magazine article about the charm of French movie stars - I'll have a look for it later on today and see if I can scan it (I recently revisited my old magazines and was thrilled to see I still had that article!).

You just reminded me of something.. There was a documentary quite a while back, I only remember Catherine deneuve was in it and she was saying French stars having to maintain "the fantasy" as years go by.. Also mentioning Karl Lagerfeld doing the same with his work at Chanel. Maybe it rings a bell for someone?

Also the condescending tone and generalizations towards other countries and styles in this thread is bumming me out :/

Living in Paris, I'm not really impressed with Parisian women's style. The men are better dressed than the women here. Parisian men are among the most well-dressed of any city. The women on the other hand? The women are over layered train wrecks with something against combing their hair. It's definitely not the image you get from french film stars.

Fur isn't as abundant as made to believe. They tend to be worn by older women. I'm not against fur, but I feel it should be used sparingly in general. Just as a trim or accent.

Scarves need to be outlawed in Paris. It's so overused and abused as quick fashion. It's become a uniform. When things become uniforms, it's time for it to go. It's like a british accent. Only the naive and untraveled are impressed by someone who wear it.

Dress whatever you want, this idea of the french style is a myth.I wish someone would destroy all this stereotypes forever:rolleyes: Unless you are going to the fashion week, people in Paris dress like everybody else in the world. You will find all types of people, all types of colours, horrible coats, nice coats, bright colours, dark colours. Do you have any idea how many "foreigners" live in Paris? I'm portuguese and portuguese, there is almost a million, I can't walk in Paris without bumping into my compatriots, and I can guarantee you, you will not find a high sense of fashion among them.:ninja: And you would be hard pressed to point who is the true born parisian and the portuguese.

Good point !

I am French and rather sick and tired that some foreigners come here expecting us to be super stylish, almost as if we were always dressed like in a fashion editorial, eating Ladurée macarons all the time while hanging out near the Eiffel tower :ninja:.
I don't think there is a french style (besides people dress differently whether they live in a big city like Paris or Lyon, or in the Riviera, etc), or maybe it's a style which consists in not caring about style and trends, and not looking too well-groomed. Here a lot of people are most likely to wear something classic and comfortable but above all, they don't like to spend hours getting dressed up and wearing a lot of make up..Therefore I'm not surprised by savvysearch's reaction, I've heard other foireigners call us dishevelled, and there is a part of truth in it, indeed I hardly ever comb my hair :lol:

I think the idea of "French" style is romanticized because we are accustomed to seeing it appropriated on beautiful and slim actresses. Someone with above average beauty,hair and figure can get away with no makeup and unkempt hair and "charmingly" loose clothing. If a woman is less than stellar in her looks, the lack of makeup, uncombed hair and ill-fitting clothes will do her no favors.

Very few women are blessed with flawless complexions that will allow them to pull off wearing absolutely no makeup. If you have circles under your eyes or spots I don't think to many people will be captivated by your failure to conceal them.

People always tell me I dress like a French woman, and from reading this thread it seems it must be my love of timeless, chic pieces along with an, at times, very 'bohemian' take on personal grooming...

scara, I was thinking about loladonna's post:

Someone with above average beauty,hair and figure can get away with no makeup and unkempt hair and "charmingly" loose clothing. If a woman is less than stellar in her looks, the lack of makeup, uncombed hair and ill-fitting clothes will do her no favors.

So, messy hair and scruffy (yet chic, I hope!) clothes. And maybe not shaving as often as the British public would like me to... B)

It is, of course, erroneous (if not offensive!) to make sweeping statements about the style of an entire nation.

There does not exist a uniformly prescribed aesthetic or manner of dress and so differences will be discerned between each region and individual.

Saying that...

I have been fortunate to visit France a number of times this year, invariably Paris, and have always admired the style - however divergent it may be - of the men and women seen there.

The term 'style' seems lacking in this context as, really, the thing that impresses most is the 'attitude' with which clothes are worn. It's a delicious, almost mocking, insouciance that I will never possess...

No matter how much Isabel Marant I beg, steal or borrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->