Gucci boss: Frida Giannini takes over / John Ray resigns

Next thing you know Frida will be starring in the ad campaigns and taking over Freja and Iselin's jobs... :lol:

But seriously... looking back at S/S.. it wasn't as bad as I initiall thought.. I prefer Frida Giannini over Allesandra Fachinneti (sp). It wasn't a great collection.. but I didn't think it was as horrendous as some people say.. and aren't you not suppose to judge a desinger by their first collection when taking over a house? I'm going to have to wait and see her F/W..

And as for Drew Barrymore.. I'm not sure if its Frida's fault one of her clients failed to wear a bra when needed. :ninja:

it sems as if gucci despises ford, anyone that reminds the owners of him, gets fired!

I am in shock. Seriously, she must be screwing somebody big. I hated her two collections for many reasons. The first and most obvious is that she didn't try to expand the Gucci look, she didn't try to evolve it slowly, she just went in and designed two collections (I'm including the cruise one) that couldn't have looked farther from a Gucci collection if it had been intentional. I'm all for moving on from the Fordian Gucci, because no one can do Ford as well as the original, but come on, granny floral prints??? Hideous, that's all I can say. I haven't liked her since she first reintroduced the flora print and that oh so retro green/red motif, that s/s rtw collection just cemented my dislike.

The second reason that I can't stand the fact that she's now creative director is that she has no knowledge whatsoever of clothing design. She was an accessories designer, handbags, shoes, sunglasses....whatever. But seriously, appointing her as creative director of womenswear and now of menswear is possibly the most rediculous decision I've ever heard of. I'm just at a loss for words with this, it's beyond frustrating.

I can see it now, the Gucci man has gone from Euro-playboy/rockstar/romantic to pastel clad, country club WASP in a poorly tailored suit.

There is one thing I can say I'm almost glad about though, last year when I learned of Ford's departure I predicted that Gucci would crumble without him and DeSole......I've been right ever since, and really, who doesn't like to be right once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
why does everyone keep talking about drew and her lack of a bra?...
wearing a bra would not have changed the 'dowdiness' factor of that dress...

perhaps NOT wearing a bra was the only way to make it in any way sexy, actually...:lol:...

dont stone me but i dont find Frida's work for Gucci bad, not bad at all ...

What a shame, I thought Ray was doing pretty well too...well, like others have said he probably won't be out of work for too long.

Alessandra Facchinetti, who left the house following poor reviews.

I honestly do not understand why Facchinetti left. I found her collections to stay true to the Gucci 'sex' image, with a twist of her own. Her fall collection was superb. But Giannini? Jesus Christ her spring collection dresses looked like granny clothes. There's not even any Gucci in them anymore.

Lena said:

Cathy Horyn's case for Frida was her youthfulness and fresh approach to the brand. She said something along the lines that a late 20's early 30's year old woman might actually have an idea what a late 20's early 30's year old woman would want to wear. I don't see it, but I am not a woman. My hang up is her lack of orginality, but I must say its good to see no more Tom Ford imations walking down the runway.

eternitygoddess said:
I honestly do not understand why Facchinetti left. I found her collections to stay true to the Gucci 'sex' image, with a twist of her own. Her fall collection was superb. But Giannini? Jesus Christ her spring collection dresses looked like granny clothes. There's not even any Gucci in them anymore.

I agree. You took the word right out of my mouth. Gucci is dead. I don't even use my Gucci Tote anymore and it's just a plain logo tote. I'm just so over it. It's a shame but to me Gucci is dead.

Does anyone know what Facchinetti is doing these days?

RIP Gucci...i think following such politics we will see house opening Gucci sublines in couple of years, and selling everywhere like Benetton....image is ruined. Tom Ford made the difference back then. And i see Ray signing with DiorHomme.

Im surprised Mr. Ray lasted this long...How he did that, I have no clue..I always thought his menswear was rather boring, moreso than both of the womenswear designers...

Hey, didnt I read a thread here saying Giannini was already axed after 1 solo season?

TrophyBrown said:
Im surprised Mr. Ray lasted this long...How he did that, I have no clue..I always thought his menswear was rather boring, moreso than both of the womenswear designers...

Hey, didnt I read a thread here saying Giannini was already axed after 1 solo season?

Boring or not, Gucci produced some great fu*kin jeans during the Ray administration.

eternitygoddess said:

Me too. I thought Alessandra was quite good. I can't believed that article says she left because of bad reviews, while Frida's collection are described with optimism and mixed reviews.

If you watch the Style.com review some woman's reaction to the beautiful FW05 was "well let's give Alessandra credit for trying."

The last two dresses in that show were exceptional.

mikevensel said:
She will never live up to Tom Ford, no one will, Gucci is Tom Ford and Gucci is sex, thats what made it such a strong brand, ultra hot, ultra glam, ultra sex, everyone wanted to live in a Gucci ad, Gucci is boring now, and will fade off the fashion map if they dont go back to what made them strong in the first place, Tom Ford is a visionaory and she is merel a designer that can make some cute stuff.

speak for yourself...he may have been a smoothtalker, but his "i wanted to make something so beautiful, it'd induce tears" thang was a bit attention-seeking, my friend...

and seeing how you do miss the sex of it, there are 'designers" such as cavalli and that dolce & gabbana duo to make people happy..gucci lived for a hundred years as a leaher goods company, then came tom ford, now it's tiem for positivity, and in another hundred maybe sex will be back...

as someone said here, it's sad that people can't accept change..really i thought tom ford-less gucci would be weird, but look at what galliano did to the circle-skirt crazy house of dior....blood-spattered corsetry is now synonymous with dior

and seeing how you do miss the sex of it, there are 'designers" such as cavalli and that dolce & gabbana duo to make people happy

Cavalli and D&G don't quite do 'sex' like Tom Ford does.

Lena said:

thank you..and you shouldn't feel bad about saying that! we should be able to express our pov here without feeling bad or guilty..

why are some so focused on this one dot, be it a belgian dot or a tom ford dot, that they're not willing to compromise

-_-

softgrey said:
link to the gucci resort 2005-2006 thread...
pics and discussion..

some interesting comments...:innocent:...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f60/gucci-resort-2005-6-a-27689.html?highlight=gucci

i updated the links to the pics of the resort collection, and although i liked it more than the s/s collection, it is still unoriginal...
that remains my problem with her and her collections...and i'm afraid of what she's going to do with menswear...

many (including myself) called the resort collection michael kors, 80s american sportswear, etc. and that is NOT what i expect from gucci...
the bags/shoes she has designed are very nice...but she should stick to that...

and i don't think this has anything to do with living up to tom ford...
as much as i loved his work for the house, his time is over, that time is over (he even said so himself!) :P

I forgot to mention in my post before, I'm so sick of hearing Giannini and everyone reviewing the collections as "positive" and "optimistic".......jeez. It's so annoying.

kimair said:
and i don't think this has anything to do with living up to tom ford...
as much as i loved his work for the house, his time is over, that time is over (he even said so himself!) :P

I agree on this, the previous 'sex appeal' era was decribed as 'TOM FORD for GUCCI' & not 'GUCCI', & it was the same thing at YSL.

Alessandra Facchinetti had these poor reviews & critics because she followed TOM FORD stepsn & that's why she was fired.

I miss TOM FORD style & spirit & can't wait till he launch his 1st collection & stores.........but on the othe other hand he is not there anymore in GUCCI & things had to return back to its origin........
as MARC JACOB said: '1st collection doesn't count'.

the same thing happened to STEFANO PILATI & now he is the hottest ticket..

what she did was to introduce A new direction of the house, & I think she was trying to return to the original florintine spirit of the house which makes the name GUCCI before TOM FORD was born .....let wait & see & ONLY TIME WILL TELL... :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gxsd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->