Irish Street Style

I don't think so. People in Dublin can't accept anything that's a little bit different. I miss living in a city where personal style was so prevalent. It's unfair to tar everybody with the same brush cos there are definitely people who try and incorporate high fashion into their daily wardrobe, but the majority of people appear to have very little imagination.

I don't agree, problematique....have you ever worn purple tights in Paris? The looks you get from most people on the street are mindboggling. I used to think Dublin was closed minded but after living in different cities I can see that more is generally accepted there (in terms of style) from the average person on the street than it is elsewhere, for example Paris or Brussels. If you're not uber chic in Paris you're looked down upon, IMO.
Anyway, for some more photos. Stolen from Dublin Streets, yet again....
DSC00663.JPG

DSC00680.JPG

source for both photos: www.dublinstreets.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Paris, where black is the ONLY colour, is a fair example, haha! :D It's been that way in Paris forever. I think people only get away with something like coloured tights here because every 3rd person on the street is wearing them, and style is an awful lot more casual in Dublin. If you were to dress as chic as they do in Paris in Dublin every day, you'd get similar looks.

I mean, my whole point is, take the second pic in that post above alone. Plimsolls... I see them in the gym, with school uniforms, during the day time, during the night time. There are no boundaries to how much people wear trends here!

Dublin is like it's made up of several large cliques, where everyone dresses accordingly.

Spot on.These cliques are predominantly kids from art colleges , why they waste their time starting up club nights ? You CANT replicate London nightlife here - for a start places close at 2.30.
I think they have the potential to start up somthing productive - perhaps de-homogenize irish fashion for a start ?
I know thats kind of rant-y,but I know theres talented people here and I would love an ''Antwerp Six'' type movement here instead of energy wasted on crappy nightlife.

I do find it difficult to dress the way I want to in Dublin though. I mean you can dress very fashionably in Paris or London even and it would be normal, But when I'm in Dublin I feel like it's a bit too much.

Are the Irish ready for high fashion?

i think that 'the irish' are far more ready for high fashion than many people here give us credit for. In fact I don't even think it's a case of being ready. It's there, it's been there for years. I have my issues with generic style in Dublin but personally I find that Dublin is one of the most inspiring and creative cities to be in. I don't know, perhaps it was the people I knew and the places I went to. Yeah there are a lot of trend followers, but in fairness nomatter where you shop you're going to be following some form of trend. You wouldn't find it in a shop if it wasn't 'on trend' in some way.
I think the biggest issue is people just trying too hard to look cool, they all kinda end up looking the same.

ok...rant over!

Hmmm... think I'm far more with B.L.U.E on this one. Fashion is and has always been there. Alongside trend-followers, as with every other city. Its a question of prespective sometimes. By and large you can buy the same designers that are available in other capital cities in Dublin, and high street has become so international that the same pieces appear across countries, so if you like, the raw materials are there, its just a matter of how each person works with them. I think Irish people have a certain look, (whenever I go away with friends, we always can tell when someone is Irish!) but that its not automatically a negative thing.:flower:

Can't we all just get along...I'm liking this community vibe in the last few posts

You CANT replicate London nightlife here - for a start places close at 2.30......................
I know thats kind of rant-y,but I know theres talented people here and I would love an ''Antwerp Six'' type movement here instead of energy wasted on crappy nightlife.
agree!
HAHA Starry-Eyed... I can spot Irish people a mile away too, but usually for the wrong reasons :rolls-eyes:
Ok, problematique. You made a fair point...(I like plimsolls. I like casual style for night.) But you're right...but I'm talking about other cities too....but yeah if you dressed like that Dublin you might get some 'who does yet wan think she is' looks. hehe
B.L.U.E is right too...there are a lot of talented people too but unfortunately it's the ones that scream the loudest that get heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
what makes you think were not 'getting along'...?
This is simply a discussion with differing opinions, which is something this thread needed!

Yeah, I thought we were getting along....that's why I said I like the community spirit.
Anyway, hopefully summer will bring us some good offerings from Dublin :smile:

Speaking of summer and Dublin, where is it, it really is extra-late getting here at the moment!! :( Anyone know where to get a durable umbrella in Dublin? I always buy the Penney's ones but they do just disintegrate...

I think all brollys get wrecked with our weather anyway! I just stick to the Penny's ones :D

I don't live in Dublin, but my boyfriend is from there so I visit the city often. If you think that Dubliners are close minded, you have to come to my city to change your mind... In fact, every time I wear something that makes me kind of stand out from the crowd in Dublin, people don't look down on me or anything, on the contrary, they say compliments or even come and ask me where my clothes are from! That is something that my boyfriend finds hilarious! He's like "no, not again... tell me that girl didn't come here to tell you she loved your dress!".

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

dublinstreets.blogspot.com
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

dublinstreets.blogspot.com

[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior