Maison Margiela S/S 2016 Paris

I like it too much, many Looks are very chic.
All this coats, the skirts.
And all this chic in concept with recycling and deconstruction-construction. Galliano did chic minimalistic collection , it seems to be an opposite for his opulence and luxury in Dior before.
It's my opinion, than i don't know, i like this collection.

I'm of two minds on this one. Part of me likes it because it is so far removed from all of the homogeneous, minimal stuff that gets spit out like clockwork now; all the while being a serious proposal of using old technique to create something new (a continuation of the HC in July) and not just another different for the sake of being different, rehash of old conceptual ideas. But on the other hand, I'm beginning to feel as if Galliano's present day aesthetic is far too affected for Margiela. Some of the pieces almost teeter on the line of being 'John Galliano for Christian Dior, with references of Martin Margiela'. Even with all of the raw edges, hastily stitched tops turned inside out, and paint-smudged fabrics, it just appears far too pristine to be truly authentic to me. As detestable as most found the MM6 collection, it honestly had the kind attitude I think John's work for the mainline needs. He's capable of delivering it but I just don't think it's there yet.

However, there is a really distinct and identifiable look to his Margiela that he has managed to carve out in such a small amount of time. And as separates, his Margiela is far less intimidating and more desirable than anything he's produced during the final years of his Dior tenure.

Agree. In his Dior was too much opulence and luxury. It was interesting to see ,it is interesting to see until now because of the Shows he did not because of collections to wear.
His Margiela seems for me as opposite to Dior opulence in past.

I'm kinda sad to admit that because i love Galliano and i think that he is still one of the best designer but this is very very bad! Beyond bad and disappointing.
We should stop making excuses for this just because it's done by a very gifted and talented designer.
This is SO NOT ON BRAND. There is nothing Margiela in this.
Who ever knows the body of work of Galliano knows that deconstructions, raw edges and the idea of "experimental" is nothing new for him.

I hate everything about it because it's like it's stuck in the past, somewhere between 2011 & now.
Margiela is not a couture house showing in a salon and craving for relevance or modernity. I hate the idea of the brand being a redcarpet affair with gowns and all those things.
Af for the clothes...I only like the sleeveless sweater.

I find the whole thing gimmicky and dated. Galliano is better than that. His Resort collection was great and showed us that he doesn't need all his antiques to do interesting clothes that people will wear.

And putting mens in womens clothes felt fresh in his 1999 couture collection. At Margiela, it's "try-to-hard", considering that he is not involved yet in the menswear.

I hope his next few will be better than that.

IMO the Marc Jacobs collection looked more like a designer "interpretation" of Margiela than anything coming from this collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this quite a bit ! I think there are beautiful hints of Margiela in this while still being approachable.

Personally, I love it. Between this and the last couture collection, I'm definitely into Galliano for Margiela.

The Dior exit was a blessing in disguise. He's starting to challenge himself creatively again.

I love it. I've rewatched the details many times, and there's so much to love here. It's obviously not quintessential margiela, but it'll never be.
The details are exquisite. The construction of most of the garments looks incredible. The styling is less messy than his other RTW for Margiela, and it's great. i could do without all the bags, but i guess you gotta sell accessories.
And - this is probably my favourite look of the season so far, it's so beautiful:

vogue.com

I agreee with Mistress, Yohji and Salvatore.

I think it's fantastic and I think Galliano is producing some of the best work of his career.

I saw FW in person. I didn't love it on the runway but the details and fabrics are exquisite. Though they're not my taste, Galliano is making some really amazing clothes, once again.

Also agree, leaving Dior was a blessing in disguise. He's doing much better things with Margiela.

I'm kinda sad to admit that because i love Galliano and i think that he is still one of the best designer but this is very very bad! Beyond bad and disappointing.
We should stop making excuses for this just because it's done by a very gifted and talented designer.
This is SO NOT ON BRAND. There is nothing Margiela in this.
Who ever knows the body of work of Galliano knows that deconstructions, raw edges and the idea of "experimental" is nothing new for him.

I hate everything about it because it's like it's stuck in the past, somewhere between 2011 & now.
Margiela is not a couture house showing in a salon and craving for relevance or modernity. I hate the idea of the brand being a redcarpet affair with gowns and all those things.
Af for the clothes...I only like the sleeveless sweater.

I find the whole thing gimmicky and dated. Galliano is better than that. His Resort collection was great and showed us that he doesn't need all his antiques to do interesting clothes that people will wear.

And putting mens in womens clothes felt fresh in his 1999 couture collection. At Margiela, it's "try-to-hard", considering that he is not involved yet in the menswear.

I hope his next few will be better than that.

IMO the Marc Jacobs collection looked more like a designer "interpretation" of Margiela than anything coming from this collection.

Nothing but truth, all around.

What bugs me the most is how unbelievably out of touch this feels. I wouldn't expect him to drop his beloved historical and classical inspirations, but it's just feel too alienated to present them at Margiela, and especially in the gimmicky way he's doing it in the ready-to-wear.

Sure there are some great details here. He can do that, easily. But details for the sake of details dont sell a collection. The overall image here is of something that tries to be very pretty and very modern, but it ends up being neither.

I wish he was working in house like Schiaparelli. He can't ( or wants, honestly) keep up with the times.

I think it's sensational!
I don't care about being on brand or whatever, I also don't care if anyone will buy any of this or not.
I'm just happy to see something so unique and fresh and beautiful.
This is the fashion I miss these days, real fashion.

Nothing but truth, all around.

What bugs me the most is how unbelievably out of touch this feels. I wouldn't expect him to drop his beloved historical and classical inspirations, but it's just feel too alienated to present them at Margiela, and especially in the gimmicky way he's doing it in the ready-to-wear.

Sure there are some great details here. He can do that, easily. But details for the sake of details dont sell a collection. The overall image here is of something that tries to be very pretty and very modern, but it ends up being neither.

I wish he was working in house like Schiaparelli. He can't ( or wants, honestly) keep up with the times.

You know what? This collection reminds me so much of his wild days at Dior, when he used to send down the runway very experimental and crazy ideas that never end up in the stores. I like it at Dior (his FW 2004 RTW is one of my favorite from him) because it made sense there.
Dior is so much about excess that it made sense. Now, i feel like doing this same type of things in 2015 is like you said "out of touch".

I was worried when in the VOgue Festival he said that for him, at Margiela (like at Dior), the Couture will be the Eau de Parfum and the RTW the eau de toilette and that it will inspire the accessories and everything.
For me, that is the problem!

I dont understand the negativity, it's a superb collection. Granted the presentation is a bit messy but the ideas are overflowing and the construction and materials are exquisite. I actually think the freedom he found with MM triggers some of his best work. The combination MM and Galliano is a match made in fashion heaven. Fantastic work.

I actually love this. You can see the direct connection to the Artisanal Couture, some of it has questionable relevance, but the pieces are fantastic, the only thing I worry about is if Galliano's Margiela become more 'art' than fashion, which is not what Margiela was about.

I love it. I've rewatched the details many times, and there's so much to love here. It's obviously not quintessential margiela, but it'll never be.
The details are exquisite. The construction of most of the garments looks incredible. The styling is less messy than his other RTW for Margiela, and it's great. i could do without all the bags, but i guess you gotta sell accessories.
And - this is probably my favourite look of the season so far, it's so beautiful:

*** Please don't quote images ***
vogue.com

agree.
There were more a few cute Looks, the coats and skirts are exquisite!

For many Designers HC is the Eau de Parfum and the RTW the eau de Toilette.
Maybe the only one is Lagerfeld but his collections start be very similar, his R-t-W not worht as his HC
Hope he will Show something more Avantgarde in PFW.

It is obviously that the actual Fashion Industry is full of Squared Clothes, so when some people see these extreme beauty it breaks and shocks their minds.

Because the collections of John are like a garden he has cultivate and every season it gives its roses: some are strange, some are rare, and the smell has always the scent of something exquisite, unique and beautiful.

Reviews

Tim Blanks
The metal catwalk, the lights on long stadium poles, the harshness that allowed nowhere to hide, presented John Galliano with a forum to mount the most extraordinary takedown of the fashion industry since Martin Margiela, the designer whose rubric he now operates under, was in his full glory. The atonal angularity of FKA Twigs — so wonderful to hear her so loud — laid down an aural tapestry on which Galliano twisted and turned convention. She done him wrong. And this collection showed that Galliano won’t forget any time soon.

From the first look, with its green beehive hairdo — Mars Attacks! — Galliano was on the offensive. A shattered mirror breastplate, a trad rose print blatted onto metallic silver, a floral skirt violently torn, a cricket vest ragged and (ultimate abuse) saran-wrapped… it was a veritable parade of soft-core society Walking Dead-ed. Pat McGrath contributed KISS makeup to ram home the point. The devil within is only a lick of eyeliner away.

Galliano spared nothing. A pantsuit in Kelly green? Is that not fashion’s most unfashionable colour? The savage deconstruction of jackets aside, he also besmirched everything with cavalier paint smears. Then he presented an extended passage of gowns with busts painfully bound in a fierce refutation of notions as fundamental as comfort. The fabulous defiance of such a gesture had revenge written all over it. Imagine the sumptuousness of classic eveningwear revisioned in the eyes of a civilisation collapsed to naught. Galliano can. Once, he was capable of bringing into being absolute beauty. Now, life has educated him in its exact opposite.
businessoffashion.com

Alexander Fury
John Galliano is fashion’s great showman. He’s decided what his stage will be at Maison Margiela: a silvery mirrored catwalk, like an unfurled roll of baco-foil; two stripped back rows of benches; strip lighting. That’s your lot. It’s about as different as you can imagine from the cast-of-a-thousand-interns spectaculars he threw two decades ago (yes, that long) where Galliano took over the Opera Garnier or a central Paris train platform as the mind-bending mise-en-scène for his wildly inaccurate historical re-enactments. But, here’s the thing, it’s a mise-en- scène, all the same. This morning, opening the spring/summer 2016 Paris collections true after a false start day of impressive duds (Anthony Vaccarello, who hit an impressively confident stride) and just duds (Jacquemus, who played the sympathy card to justify a rehashed collection of chopped up comme Comme des Garçons to a stony-faced audience), Galliano installed his Margiela tin-foil Big Top in Paris’ Tuileries, the gargantuan space swamping the catwalk. It felt alien – and intentionally so.

Galliano’s Margiela clothes feel alien too. They’re supposed to. They’re neither the comforting, slithery-dithery Galliano of old, all histrionic maidens and bias-cut dresses, nor stark Margiela, he of unravelled socks stitched into jumpers and the sloppily giant tailoring in a size seventy-something. Oddly enough, both feel relevant right now: there’s been a distinct bias towards the bias from designers as diverse and Givenchy and Alexander Wang; and Vetements have bagged pole position as the most anticipated show of the season, by doing the most Margiela-y Margiela-isms (although there’s a sense of soul to it, which is important).

It would be easy for Galliano to ride the wave, to toss a ginormous trench over a slithery slip-dress and show the world how well those two opposites attract. Too easy. This show wasn’t about ease, it was about discomfort, and work, and experimentation. The clothes were ragged, worked and reworked, ripped apart and reconstructed, a sense of hand literally evident in every snip and stitch. “Lo Fi” Galliano called it – and, although that sense of handwork related to his love of couture, there was nothing ‘haute’ about it. Fabric was plastered with emulsion in a seemingly random frenzy, flaking from leather jackets and handbags; brooches trembled, haphazardly pinned to coats or skirts; a cricket sweater had its sleeves sliced away, the models thighs wrapped with plastic. A sense of the spontaneous. Even the embroidery – great orientalist whorls of roses that recalled the work of the great Paul Poiret, whose fashions have so influenced Galliano throughout his career – was executed not in painstaking satin-stitch but with safety-pins, intricately positioned, but nevertheless with a jolt of immediacy.

Galliano has used safety-pins before – he crafted them into entire dresses, twenty years ago, like a punkish chain-mail, transmogrifying the utilitarian into elaborate decoration. Indeed, inside the folds and exposed linings, the raw hems and blank labels that spell out “Margiela”, you could uncover the fingerprints of Galliano himself. You could imagine his hand pinning and cutting and splattering these garments; but more fundamentally, his aesthetic stamp was firmer and stronger. Take the Galliano geishas, the love of Japonisme that has ignited his greatest collections. For his own label, it was sensual, sexy, the brevity of Kate Moss in a lipstick-pink mini-‘mono in the mansion of São Schlumberger; at Dior, it was focussed on the house’s construction. Here, Galliano cobbled together half a dozen examples, a Margiela Mikado of changeante fabric, handbags trussed to the body with cording like obi wraps. They were humorous – an essential component of his, and Martin Margiela’s clothing. But they were also desirable.

That’s a vital element of Galliano’s Margiela: he has to sell the damn stuff. It’s trickling into stores now, his first collection for the label, and is already enjoying a sell-through of 85%. That means stuff shifting at full-price, and that is quite extraordinary. Discovering Margiela clothes in store is quite another matter to the catwalk spectacle: their hidden details display Galliano’s design ingenuity at play, so a row of buttons may unfurl a lining that tugs away from a coat to be worn as a dress, or a pair of trousers, slices into a skirt, can be worn a multitude of manners, determined by the wearer.

That’s clever – that focus on the afterlife of a designer, rather than catwalk spectacle. Sticking to that visual script of tin-foil and white paint each time, means Galliano starts on a blank canvas – in itself, very Margiela, but also indicative of Galliano eschewing his own past as fashion’s most visible designer, and focussing our attention on the clothes. That’s where we find his identity now. They’re the point of the whole damn exercise, after all.

Maybe Galliano wants to eschew his past – make us forget it, start with that blank canvas. He shouldn’t and neither should we. Because despite the bad that ultimately ended the good, Galliano is one of the greatest designers of our times. The memory of his triumphs cannot be erased, and should not – especially in a season when so many others are referencing him. Towards the end, a model emerged in a tobacco-coloured bias-cut evening dress, and your heart sang. It was raw, daubed with paint, roughly-hemmed and sliced open at the back. It reminded you of Galliano, and Margiela, and yet was neither. A new hybrid. A new start. The fact Galliano himself seems to be embracing his own awe-inspiring history, and discovering his work anew, was joyous. The joy was infectious.

The overwhelming message here? Hopeful. Honest. And utterly convincing. Galliano has begun to feel comfortable at Maison Margiela: he’s making this house into his home.
independent.co.uk

Robin Givhan
All of this reality-based fashion can make dreamers and storytellers such as John Galliano seem a bit old-fashioned. Perhaps they are. But their creativity is heartening. His second ready-to-wear collection for Maison Margiela was a hodgepodge of dresses — a flurry of silver brocade, mirrored embellishments, scrims of tulle, splashes of paint. Pullovers looked as if they’d been molded from old foam stuffing and then adorned with bits of fabric or odd buttons and pins.

The collection was rooted in the realm of romantic fantasy that has long defined Galliano’s sensibility, but it was made less precious and ethereal thanks to the do-it-yourself earthiness that has been the essence of Margiela.

The merging of these two disparate points of view is creating a promising vision. More than clothes, yet not pure theory.
washingtonpost.com

Suzy Menkes
Has it really come to this: a designer of John Galliano's artistic depth and vibrant imagination used to promote handbags?

In his role as creative director at Maison Margiela, for spring-summer 2016 the designer of magical reality opened his show with a nice, roomy cream coat with a large and prominent handbag. The same oversized purse kept reappearing, even though Galliano valiantly fought off the onslaught of accessories with some more poetic effects, like the up-do hair and make-up given a silvered sheen, like many of his filmy metallic dresses.

The decorations on the clothes were often dramatic, from tufts to mirrored disks. There was a touch of the designer's former bravado when the silver seemed tarnished, like aged metal. It is important to think of Galliano's present, not just his past. But having lost one of fashion's greatest production designers in Michael Howells and having pared down the extravagant hair and make-up of Galliano's years at Dior, the focus has to go on the clothes. I feel that there should be a strong resonance of the original Martin Margiela, to which romanticism was alien. But it might have included Galliano's jackets or coats, made over as a patchwork. Mesh hose and the semi-nudity of bare-chested male models seemed totally out of place.

Galliano, once the ultimate runway show-off, now disappears as the show ends, but he sent some digital show notes that read, "Lo-fi, sci-fi - with a hi-fi finish". That applied to the patina on the silver and what Galliano described as glistening "whitewashed mirror". All that fabric treatment (which did not apply to the smooth leather bags) was lost on me. So was a grass-green trouser suit, however nicely tailored.

A big cable-stitch sweater looked dynamic, and there was one dashing burnt-orange gown sweeping down the runway. There was also real charm in Japanese-looking outfits, with a ribbon tied high on the chest - a modernised geisha elegance for models taking small steps on low, curving heels. Until they turned around. For the ribbons had a commercial purpose. They held up, like a not-quite backpack... Guess what? Handbags.
vogue.co.uk

Vanessa Friedman
As John Galliano did at Maison Margiela, in his least forced collection for the brand yet. Taking off on the brightly lit brushed-aluminum airstrip of a runway was a fleet of … accessories.

There were big Birkin-like arm candy bags, and little boxy bags worn tied onto the back with a satin rope that formed a big bow at the breastbone. There were silver metallic gloves and fishnet stockings, and boy models to accessorize the girl models (that was gimmicky). And there was thin plastic wrapped around the hips to give skirts just a bit of shine.

Oh, and there were clothes: kimono-belted, block-printed, with shards of white and silver mirror (memories?) trapped under a veil of organza. Metallic underskirts peeked out from over-layers of sliced canvas cut out in spiky flowers to flash the underneath, leopard collars came atop boxy jackets and 1960s coats dripped paste heirloom jewels.

It is not damning with faint praise to call them wearable (though that’s often considered a dirty word in fashion), especially one forest green, empire-waisted burlap gown with a mint velvet kimono halter strap and black paint imprints on the back.

The net effect was very geisha archaeologist on an asteroid. That sounds weird, but after seasons of seemingly forcing himself into Margiela’s orbit, Mr. Galliano finally came in for a soft landing.
nytimes.com

Miles Socha
Subversion and humor are aspects of Martin Margiela’s legacy that John Galliano magnified with his ravishing spring collection — a dressy affair that equally exalted the English designer’s theatrical, couture chops.

Could there be a more witty meeting of the two aesthetics than a sculpted black cloqué coat* stained with white paint as if the woman had sat on a wet Thonet chair? He repeated the idea with a pleated tennis dress (wet black park bench) and a grand infanta in red (wet gold throne, presumably). You could sense how tickled Galliano must have been to apply Margiela’s conceptual, DIY ideas to his Fifties-flecked ladylike daywear and sinuous evening dresses.

Consider a sculpted peplum jacket or a bourgeois handbag in crackled-paint patterned leather; white kitten shoes with the Achilles heels swollen like avocados, or a trim pantsuit in the color of the original Joker’s catsuit *minus the question mark. He gleefully wrapped legs and hips with Saran Wrap; scissored into fancy floral brocade skirts so the petals became a tattered 3-D, and decorated brocade coats with trembling crystal brooches.

While eccentric, the clothes were intensely original in the juxtaposition of dressy and raw fabrics; the offbeat embellishments (shards of mirror hung on chains); and the daring color combos, borrowed from kimonos.

The Japanese theme reached a climax with the finale looks: flaring gowns, kimono jackets and narrow skirt-and-top combos tied with obis, although with a boxy purse in the back in lieu of a bow. That Galliano: He knows what pays the bills these days.
wwd.com

continued...

Sarah Mower
A girl in a giant green beehive with silver petal–painted eyes, wearing a ’50s three-quarter-sleeved clutch coat and a pair of pointy white pumps with bulbous molded heels and toting a capacious white bag was the opener. She marked the takeoff point for John Galliano’s most rounded and product-filled Maison Margiela collection so far. “Lo-fi, sci-fi” was his tagline for it: words that came via email rather than straight from the designer’s mouth, as he doesn’t appear at the end of his shows now—one of Margiela’s house traditions he surely values.

But this was a wholly Galliano trip, not an old-school Margiela one. He made a delightful merge of vintage-y eccentricity, Japanese geisha styling, and color—themes that have constantly been part of Galliano’s design territory from the beginning, of course. The good news was that, despite the extreme teased updos and his casting of several androgynous boys to wear dresses, this was not one of his excursions into a fantasia of old: He had grounded it in a slew of believably wearable clothes, for the first time since he arrived at Margiela. At one end of the spectrum, there was crystal embroidery resembling dangly earrings smothering a mint green ’50s coat; at the other, a pragmatic tailored grass green suit with skinny trousers and a body jacket. In between, plenty of skirts that might make us think differently about narrow, just-above-the-ankle proportions, maybe worn with fitted peplumed tops. And then, for evening and events, numerous dresses in extraordinarily subtle combinations of kimono-inspired prints and tints—as well as a glimpse of a gold satin bias-cut slip dress of the kind the designer brought into fashion in the ’90s. Galliano is back on his game again—a relief for those who supported him in the first place and a thrill for another generation who’ve grown up to see him through new eyes.
vogue.com

Jo Ellison
In fashion, as with so many things, “placement” is all. Where a show falls in the schedule can be almost as essential to its success or significance as the clothes showcased within it. And Paris, the most important of the fashion weeks, is one of the toughest arenas in which to get the right billing.

This season, however, a number of minor tweaks have seen the week recalibrated — and much for the better. Chloé has been one of the obvious beneficiaries: the house, often eclipsed by Céline, which has traditionally shown an hour before it, has escaped from the shadow of a Sunday afternoon billing to shine anew on Thursday — a day with comparatively little competition. And the absence of Givenchy, which showed in New York this season, will also allow a little more wiggle room for those cruising through the weekend catwalks.

Others are less advantaged. At Dries Van Noten, whose show has traditionally been recognised by the international press as marking the unofficial start of Paris Fashion Week, a funny little interloper upstaged proceedings today: Maison Margiela’s Tuileries show was held several hours before it. The label, now helmed by John Galliano, is sufficiently exciting that all the major foreign buyers, editors and writers were sat front-row. Well, we all knew Galliano doesn’t want for attention.

The designer’s fourth show as creative director of the house, which is owned by OTB entrepreneur Renzo Rosso, Margiela SS16 continued to build on the label’s current love for reinterpretation and reconstruction with a collection that was remade in simple furnishing fabrics, jumble and — occasionally — cling film. The show’s notes, written in Galliano’s typically romantic but opaque style, described it thus: “Garments touched by the patina of time, as archetypes are refracted through a whitewashed mirror. Antique technology is reverse-engineered beneath a soft filter to collide with rogue handicraft. Lo-fi, sci-fi, with a hi-fi finish.”

The looks were ladylike with a hint of otherworldliness — astronaut’s wife meets Martian. Jackets were curve-shouldered and 1950s in style, while neat pencil skirts were over-layered with films of texture. The flow was then “interrupted” by more sculptural details: dresses tied at the bust with soft cord details; a mini bag suspended between the shoulder blades; a dress embellished with smashed-mirror appliqué; a jacket in palest glacier green hung with metallic threads; another stuck with pretty safety-pin blooms.

Dresses revealed both “heirloom ornaments” hidden in their folds and great daubs of colour, as though the models had sat on wet paints or leant against newly whitewashed walls while waiting backstage. While the looks were demure, there was subversion here: the models wore distressed bird’s-nest beehives dyed the colour of pale pistachio, and had silver Bowie eyes. Many of the most feminine looks were worn by hairy-legged men.

Curiously, it recalled the Prada show, another study in feminine dress codes and the rigour of a ladylike silhouettes: there were similar riffs on the skirt-suit here, and devilish little touches. The petals on a floral skirt had been snipped to create a spiky layer of intrigue, just as Prada’s brown skirt panels hinted at a glimpse of something other; the same metallic make-up, filmy layers and mirrored embellishment reminded me of Prada’s glittery paillettes. With running water now a fact on Mars, maybe these designers have got an eye on our intergalactic futures? Memo to Major Tom: bring fishnets and a stiletto heel.

This was a softer show of femininity, though, with lots of quilting and silky layers. An ochre, bias-cut two-piece glided over the body and swept the floor. It looked perfectly lovely — and then you saw the paint stains on the rear. The look, like the show’s new time slot, was a nice disruption.
ft.com

Scarlett Conlon
With four collections now under his belt for Maison Margiela, John Galliano delivered a confident and commercial show this morning that mixed the idea of reclamation and utility with his own romanticism and richness effectively.

His penchant for trash-style was instantly visible in the oversized beehives that stood tall atop each model’s head, enhanced by the huge fishnets and humpbacked white stilettoes worn below. The oversized chandeliers that came embellished on midi-length skirts as well as hanging from lobes, as they should, and the torn white cricket sweater transformed with metallic chains and studs further enhanced this relaxed, reclaimed glamour.

The theme continued harmoniously with sloping shoulders, apparent on collared car coats, and the skirts that were sprinkled with a sporadic display of heirloom ornaments. It was also apparent in what was absent – in place of bustier corsetry were boxy tops paired with long evening skirts in glistening, often iridescent fabrics that stood away from the body as opposed to clinging to it.

As ever Galliano’s hand could be seen in all. Making treasured pieces, each of which appear individual, has been his marker long before Margiela but it is one that's flourishing as he continues to re-establish himself and the house.
vogue.co.uk

Rebecca Gonsalves
At Maison Margiela, John Galliano also mined the past to create a wholly modern collection. There was a sense of the Sixties-space age to the opening looks, with shift dresses and mini-skirts teamed with Barbarella beehives and silvered eye make-up that referenced David Bowie and Kiss.

That sci-fi element came through in the fabrics too - sheer wisps were layered over something altogether more foam-like, a floral print was cut in to so each petal quivered as if in a summer breeze, while abstract mirrored tiles joined together to create a hand-crafted version of Paco Rabanne's famous Sixties designs.

This sense of retro-futurism gave way to something altogether more timeless in fluid tailoring, which played on the androgyny of the original le smoking by showing silky halternecks slit to the waist on effeminate male models. There was a humour to this collection - cling-film like plastic wrapped around the clothes and models' limbs, and many pieces were imprinted as if the wearer had inadvisably ignored a 'wet paint' sign leaning against everything from a park bench to a bistro chair.

There were Japanese influences too, with obi belts tying small satchels to the backs of models. In this, his second ready to wear collection for the house, Galliano brilliantly balanced the bourgeois and the bonkers.
independent.co.uk

Rebecca Lowthorpe
Trust John Galliano to cut to the chase with the season’s biggest message: The Lady is back. Only this was Galliano for Maison Margiela, so anything polite was twisted, everything pretty was skewed and all things ladylike subverted. Take the opening coat straight out of the early 1960s (the early years of that decade have been on repeat all season), here in ivory with a leopard collar, kitten heels with thick ankle straps (the back of the heel reinforced an extra inch), a blue-rinse beehive for hair, silver maquillage below the eyes and a big handbag that looked as if it might have been whitewashed with a paint roller. There were gauzy layers everywhere, but Galliano’s came over a shimmering vest that resembled the shards of a broken mirror. There were metallics, but he offered them in zip-through cargo-pocketed skirts, one worn with a fishnet body stocking on a young man. Galliano played with the Maison’s codes: a cricket sweater with sawn-off sleeves came trimmed in chain and wrapped with Cellophane; a coat carried ornamentation in the form of giant diamond chandelier earrings; a trouser suit appeared in shocking, piercing green; a pleated white dress looked as if it had been driven over by a motorbike, leaving black tyre marks; mini backpacks were tied on every look Obi-style, worn with Japanese-esque slim T-shirts and long narrow skirts. It was a great show. Best of all, was the occasional eruption of undiluted Galliano, such as the kick-*** bias-cut bronze gown, straight out of the designer’s own archive. Galliano’s ability to blend the two is looking increasingly lovely.
elleuk.com

Jess Cartner-Morley
The 11am catwalk show in the Tuileries on Wednesday was, in theory, a display of next spring’s ready-to-wear womenswear collection for the Parisian house of Margiela. In reality, the entwined stories of John Galliano and Paris fashion long ago moved beyond such mere technicalities.

Ready-to-wear womenswear is, anyway, a term that could be only very loosely applied to skirts wrapped in clingfilm, jackets made from sofa stuffing, and fishnet bodystockings; especially when many of the models on the catwalk are men.

Had he taken a job at a more pedestrian fashion house, the rehabilitated Galliano might have had to simply buckle down and make dresses. But Martin Margiela’s own work at the label he founded was as much a commentary on the fashion industry as a cog in its wheel.

From the very beginning of his career, Margiela was interested in challenging lazy assumptions around luxury, and questioning the wastefulness of fashion. This gives Galliano, now at the helm of Maison Margiela, a licence to be controversial – all within the safe space of a design studio, of course.

To attend one of Galliano’s catwalk shows for Maison Margiela can feel a little like being a caseworker keeping tabs on the designer’s return to normality and health. (The white lab coats worn as a longstanding house tradition by all Margiela employees only add to the illusion.) Viewed from that perspective, the signs were mostly positive.

The mood was more relaxed than at any of Galliano’s previous shows for Margiela, and the first one at which one could clearly recognise the high-spirited glamour that once made Galliano’s Dior such gleeful romps.

The first outfit was a cartoonish version of a ladylike Parisian aesthetic, with a beautifully cut, luxurious white coat accompanied by a large white handbag, the model made up with silvered mascara streaks on her cheeks. A gorgeous, pistachio dress hung Christmas-tree dense with sparkling 3D embroidery was a delight. Kimono jackets and Obi belts recalled the iconic Madame Butterfly aesthetic of Galliano’s glory days at Dior.

The explanatory notes given out at catwalk shows often talk a good conceptual game, but one which is not fulfilled by the actual clothes. Here, though, the avowed ambition to “confront the demure tropes of femininity” was followed through with the casting, which picked up where July’s haute couture show left off by putting some of the clothes on men. This was all the more arresting in this collection, where the silk gowns and fishnet tights were so self-evidently feminine.

Galliano is courting controversy here, and asking questions of his audience. Is it more or less shocking to see a very thin model topless, wearing just a skirt, if the bony bare chest belongs to a man? Does a dainty, self-evidently expensive white handbag still look like a status symbol if it is roped to a model’s back like a child’s rucksack? No answers were offered. The show notes finished on a cryptic note: “Lo-fi, sci-fi, with a hi-fi finish.”
theguardian.com

Art combined with fashion with a brand new take on origami versus Mad Max. Love this, love Galliano for bringing a new spectra to the brand. He's been missed.

Thanks for collecting and posting all of the reviews, Fashion_Girl. It's nice reading whaf actual professionals have to say about the collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonic boom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->