Makeup for Red Heads?

LucindaMay

Reaction score
I recently dyed my hair from blonde, to a deep copper red. I love it

What makeup, apart from neutrals, looks good with such an intense, standout hair color?

I love wearing bright lips, and such.

All I have done so far, is switch my pinkish blush, to a more peachy color (Nars "Gina").

Any ideas?! :flower:

What about going for the Ashlee Simpson look? I think she looked fantastic with red hair.

6a00e398e7af0d000400f48d04d15c0001-320pi

9962521e8304ec3f47af7661fc874a9b.jpg

4402_6431_Simpson-Ashlee-4x.jpg

beauty riot

Check out Marcia Cross' thread - she is always gorgeous!

Ashley looks a bit dull for me. I prefer something a bit more intense.. Like a bold lip, or intense eyes for when I go out. During the day, I'm pretty bare faced though, so Ashley's choice of colors would work.

And I will head over to Marcia Gross' thread. :-)

Thank you both!

i think a lot of this also depends on what type of redhead you are and what skin tones you have etc -- i am a very pale but yellowy-skinned coppery redhead, and my skin has more yellow/orange tones than pinks. a lot of natural redheads have a very fair/pink complexion and a lot of those pinkish/blue tones still look okay on them -- not my case.

ok, a billion obnoxious links to photos of me here:
i find that blue-based tones look disgusting on me, but warmer bases work very very well as long as they aren't TOO orange. red and brown-based purples look great -- i have about 8 different eggplant/plum eyeliners + shadows, which contrasts very well with my red hair and green eyes.

subtle eyes with a very, very dark orangey-brick red lipstick also works great for me. my 'daily' routine is a thin line of purple-black liquid liner (mac fluidline in uhhh the dark purple) and a burnt sienna lipstick that's very close to my natural lip colour but darker. more dramatic is running a thin dark brown or black liner in the waterline and then smudging a bit with a purply-brown shadow.

i've been rocking (and posting here compulsively about it too) near-black lipstick for nightwear lately as well -- i find having such bright hair makes it look less goth, and with the rest of my face bare i love the drama. alternatively, straight-up heavy black eyeliner/shadow and a bare lip works really well for me too. metallic gold + coppers also look good on me, but that's a skin tone issue too i think, since my skin is yellow to begin with and it just adds a nice shimmer.

If you want bold looks that go with red hair you should check out Hayley Williams.
thumb.asp

thumb.asp

thumb.asp

thumb.asp

thumb.asp

thumb.asp

makeupalley.com

orange6.jpg

green2.jpg

green3.jpg

liner15.jpg

hayleyfashion.info

^ I love how Hayley uses colors in her eyes and the hair really brings it out.

My ginger friend Kaitie uses black mascara and I think that color is too harsh with her pale skin tone. Does brown work better? :flower:

^^ depends. i love harsh eyemakeup with pale skin so always use a ton of black everything... try a few colours until you find what works best for you :smile: dark brown or a 'soft black' can be less harsh if you prefer. also, could be her other eye makeup and not the mascara -- i find little difference between mascara colours on most people.

^ I agree, everyone's different and you have to play around to find what works for you.
Some things that work for me since dying my hair red:
-warm metallics like dark gold, bronzes and coppers(they look amazing as smoky eye looks)
-vivid blue liquid eye liner looks really cool with bright red hair (so does purple)
-brick red lipsticks (elizabeth arden perfect brick is amazing)
-hot pink lipstick and gloss
-more peachy blushes (my fav blush ever is Too Faced papa don't peach)
I also love Benefit's cream shadow in skinny jeans, it's this dark pewter colour and it looks really cool and rock n roll (although I think it could work with most skintones/hair)

I dye my hair red and I love doing bright eyelooks. Here are some photos I've taken of my own makeup.

Teal, blue, and bronze
3384803687_a158f2852f.jpg

emerald green
3393926866_75b958e3b1.jpg

deep plum and lavender
3399405683_1543162d24.jpg

Christina Hendricks does great makeup.
003.jpg_595.jpg

MQ_007.jpg_595.jpg

MQ_002.jpg_595.jpg

001.jpg_595.jpg

MQ_001.jpg_595.jpg

christinahendricks.info

madmenchristinahendricks_2.jpg

/thefaust.files.wordpress.com

christina_hendricks_002_101707.jpg

superiorpics.com

AMC+Heineken+Mad+Men+Second+Season+Wrap+Party+REuAc8DiTdXl.jpg

61st+Annual+Primetime+Emmy+Awards+Press+Room+gDV_SSr7e4Cl.jpg

41st+Annual+Academy+Magical+Arts+Inc+Awards+NedTzQXcMORl.jpg

23rd+Annual+ASC+Outstanding+Achievement+Awards+hWdoJAInDnIl.jpg

zimbio

^^ thanks for the christina hendricks posts! these are great and very classic, lovely -- hadn't thought of her! good example of how pinkish + cooler tones work for redheads...

Last edited by a moderator:
a few more of her since i liked it so much:

102_001.jpg

002.jpg_595.jpg

001.jpg

001.jpg

001.jpg_595.jpg

003.jpg_595.jpg

christinahendricks.info

Last edited by a moderator:
Love love love christina hendricks! thanks for posting the photos :smile:

Some more great Christina pics.