Marc Jacobs F/W 08.09 NYC

Safe

Considering the flack he got on his last collection this is very safe for him, I actually like it better than the last collection.

:(
I love Marc...but not this collection.. not at all

Ew Ew and more Ew. Bathrobe chic??? This is so lame and totally unoriginal. Does this guy EVER get it right? No!

I personally can't stand the jewelery. It looks like cheap costume jewelery from the 1980s. And it's way too over-the-top with no substance. Plastic, sterling and fake pearls? :yuk:

It won't be sterling, it will be base metal.

This is costume jewellery, because this is R-T-W, not couture.

All R-T-W designer jewellery is costume.

Hopefully, it's good quality costume jewellery, though. But that really depends on where it is made and whether it is handcrafted by people who know what they're doing, or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I watched the Video I dont like it...It just really Boring:innocent:
unlike last season where at least I was interested in what was going on
this was just a way to safe line of day clothes and played evening wear.
He's done way better pseudo Bag lady looks before ( He's why I like the look)
but this was just weak IMO.
Idk what everybody likes about the music either for me it dont help matters. The lady hoppin around kept my attention longer than the last half.
But I do like Marc and after about a week, Loved last season so Im hoping come next Spring i'll be suprised with something again.

ergh...Look up Bruno Pieters (particularly the FW07),Haider Ackermann and Dries Van Noten and you see where MJ has bitten pieces from...unoriginal and uninspiring in the truest sense...This is a huge disappointment. I'm losing interested in this guy by each season.

It won't be sterling, it will be base metal.

This is costume jewellery, because this is R-T-W, not couture.

All R-T-W designer jewellery is costume.

Hopefully, it's good quality costume jewellery, though. But that really depends on where it is made and whether it is handcrafted by people who know what they're doing, or not.

I've seen some beautiful costume jewelery, on the runway and off. It really doesn't change my opinion that this looks like cheap costume jewelery from the 1980s, it's just plain fugly to me.

I've seen some beautiful costume jewelery, on the runway and off. It really doesn't change my opinion that this looks like cheap costume jewelery from the 1980s, it's just plain fugly to me.

Fair enough. :smile:

I just thought I should point out (for anyone reading, who might not already know), that it probably wouldn't be sterling silver, but that, assuming it's made in Italy (which it may, or may not be, these days!), it probably is very good quality for modern costume jewellery (whether it looks like it is, or not!).

Having, casually, said that all R-T-W jewellery is costume, I've just remembered that BV R-T-W jewellery is made from sterling silver/silver vermeil (I've got a few pieces, so I really shouldn't have forgotten! :rolleyes: :doh: ).

But, the vast majority isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
So everyone who gets good press or fame gets it because they're talented? Wouldn't that be a wonderful world to live in :innocent::innocent:

pretty much everyone who isnt paris hilton or one of her sl*tty colleagues...:innocent:

i see what you mean, but why would he get good press if it wasnt for his work?
does he have top secret pictures of anna wintour wearing stirrup sweatpants and they are into a some serious blackmail kind of thing?

it's not like he is son of a Hotel Business Empire, who takes his ugly doggy to parties all week long, and does amateur p*rn tapes with his boyfriend... (or at least we know the first one for sure)

I personally can't stand the jewelery. It looks like cheap costume jewelery from the 1980s. And it's way too over-the-top with no substance. Plastic, sterling and fake pearls? :yuk:

^totally agree on that! custom jewellery is pretty tricky, and it ends up looking very much like plastic crap is you are not careful

Fair enough. :smile:

I just thought I should point out (for anyone reading, who might not already know), that it probably wouldn't be sterling silver, but that, assuming it's made in Italy (which it may, or may not be, these days!), it probably is very good quality for modern costume jewellery (whether it looks like it is, or not!).

Having, casually, said that all R-T-W jewellery is costume, I've just remembered that BV R-T-W jewellery is made from sterling silver/silver vermeil (I've got a few pieces, so I really shouldn't have forgotten! :rolleyes: :doh: ).

But, the vast majority isn't.

I actually like the plain metal bracelets (I own metal cuffs that are very similar), but the huge plastic pearls ruin it for me. Way too 80s, and not in a good way.

I have to agree with the majority and say this is not a very interesting and not at all flattering collection, theres only one piece that I really like and thats the sky vlevet dress on Vlada near the end, I do like alot of the bags and jewerly, thats what saves this collection for me.

I actually quite like some of the sweaters and shirts, just not styled in this way.

I really don't like this collection.
I'm usually tres optimistic about collections but the only things I liked in this collection were some of the low waists and a few of the very final pieces, even though one looked a lot like Fee Doran's 'Nude Dress' for Kylie Minogue's 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' video.
To be honest I thought most of the designs were just plain.

Although Marc did admit that he "wasn't really inspired this season". (vogue report by Lauren David Peden)

I have to agree with the majority and say this is not a very interesting and not at all flattering collection, theres only one piece that I really like and thats the sky vlevet dress on Vlada near the end, I do like alot of the bags and jewerly, thats what saves this collection for me.

I totally agree about that dress, it's pretty but it's one of few.

I'm a fan of Marc in general but this is terrible- I miss when his collections were exciting and could start trends- like the FW06-07 that pushed grunge layering back to the forefront.

Marc Jacobs: Child/woman is all grown up

NEW YORK: "Let's go - I've been ready for hours," said Marc Jacobs, strutting like a master of ceremonies around his giant square of a catwalk, while celebrities from Kevin Federline to Gretchen Moll dashed to take their "cabaret" seats by the stage.

But in the end, as the models in their clean, clear but quirky sportswear lined up on a high backdrop of scaffolding, what mattered was not the fact that the notoriously tardy Jacobs had got on with his show. It was that his fall/winter collection was so good.

"Calm," said Jacobs, referring not to the final notes of the Sonic Youth band live on stage, but to the spirit of this parade of soft gray and pastel colors like peach, pale blue and mint. The clothes hinted at the early 1980s in their cocooning shapes, often with full backs and sashes cinching the hips.

It was as though the demons that had been turning the designer's shows into frantic and frazzled exercises in fashion overkill had disappeared. And that Jacobs had finally reached the nirvana he has been searching for since his early collections for Perry Ellis more than 20 years ago. To put it another way, his child/woman vintage looks had grown up beautifully.

The collection was solid but never stolid: a slim coat with a ring collar looping the neck; or another in powder blue with a snake of embroidery. Although a sweater worked with the word "Hardcore" was teamed with leather pants, the clothes were upscale. Glamorous sportswear included a honeycomb-patterned sweater, blouses with deep sleeves or a gray knit worn casually with silver pants.

The focus was on coats and dresses, their silhouettes in the soft, inverted triangle of a young Gianni Versace. But Jacobs brought his own slant - literally when a sweater was worn off-kilter or a divided skirt was dropped low in the crotch as the essence of cool. Curly tricorn hats, puffy head bands and sunburst silver jewelry joined squishy bags as desirable accessories.

Jacobs now lives in Paris but after trying to prove with last season's artsy complexities and boudoir transparency that he could match experimental international designers, he did something in this show that was actually much tougher. He gave a fresh and original polish to streamlined American style. It was a redemption for Jacobs and for a dull New York fashion season. suzy menkes for iht.com

^^ WOW good for him!!! And deserved. And she's not the biggest MJ-fan in the world.
As I said Earlier: New York should be very happy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->