Marc Jacobs S/S 2016 New York

The hole in Alek's dress describes best how I feel about this: a gorgeous and flashy show, but something's missing in the fashion department.

Flashy, yes. Gorgeous? No. I think some dresses were quite nice but the casting ruined some pieces and the styling ruined most.

What are people talking about? Beautiful clothes? Where? :blink:

I really don't understand some comments. It's not less costumey than Proenza Schouler.
I can't picture anyone wearing Proenza Schouler.
There is some great separates in this collection: beautifuly cut pants, great bombers, funky knits, some strong blazers.
I don't mind that the gowns look like costume. No one is really buying evening wear.

If you are going to buy something from Marc, it has to be special and that's the point. I don't need another line-up of black & white clothes with bows and hip bones exposure.

This collection has the energy, the madness and the showmanship of some of his hits shows. Marc Jacobs mainline hasn't being interesting in a long time and even after some well received collection, i feel like he didn't hit the mark. This is what people needed.

That's how I feel

^^^ Thanks Vitamin W. I can see the similarities.

But Marc's version is so strong in attitude. Very Riot Grrrrl by way of Graceland vintage trashiness. And very very very well done. I really am attracted to this glittery trashiness.

It's an ugly, clashing vulgarity with all the Americana color-palette and Johnny Cash/ Elvis leathers and varsity jackets mixed with those gorgeous, dusty Victorian beaded and sequined dresses, along with those Dynasty-esque gowns, and such wicked styling to create a really strong sense of direction. I think fashion directors and stylists will be ripping off this look for countless edits.

I think that once the clothes are stripped down to their separates, there's a clear distinction between the women and the girl: SOmething for the Marc Jacobs clientele, and something for the Marc by Marc Jacobs one.

This is finally the collection that lives up to all the hype and adoration Marc has always been showered with but I always felt he was undeserving of. Finally.

Also these two are a blatant Vetements copy.

YGXZqU7.jpg
sXRVRYq.jpg

vogue

Flashy, trashy, fabulous! Absolutely loved this show, the theme, the casting, the whole concept was put together brilliantly. You can see how the MBMJ line has been brought into the main line, the clothes were a bit hit and miss, but I think that was the point. the blatant Vetements rip-offs are no surprise, Marc Jacobs has always pulled bits and pieces from here, there, and everywhere in his collections, as the majority of other designers do, I think we can count on one hand the ones that don't. Great end to a pretty tragic NYFW.

^^I'm not sure I'd say the heavy, heavy Marigela influence on Vetementes is up for much debate.

^^^ I don't even think Vetementes would deny how they're copying Margiela-- and Helmut Lang, and Jean Colonna LOL

That's some pretty heavy inspiration. Not surprised.

Even with a silly collection like this he couldn't think of it himself.

Oh yeah, it's totally silly. But so is Delpozo with his attempts at dressing grown women like paperdolls. Just different shades of silliness.

What I'm attracted to is how committed to the whacked out, greasy, sweaty trailer-trash glamor-puss this all looks. Visually, it's so graphic and confident, but I don't get the impression Marc's serious about the look. And I'm sure he's isn't trying to be the second coming of Christ like that foolish Kanye. It's not original but it's so full head-on maddening with the attitude. It's what people like JW Anderson and the Rodarte ladies, and even Raf attempts, but falls flat at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the concept of this collection. Not everything worked for me but it was very unapologetic in its excessive nature. The theme, venue and casting were great. One of his best in a while.

I have been a member for almost 10 years on TFS. This is one of my fav Marc shows on par with S/S 2009, F/W 2007. I liked the clothes of this collection much more than those other 2. There is a very energetic and youthful feel to them. He takes elements from different periods, references, even other designers, blends it and comes out with seductive and lurid visuals and they look damn good. Like YSL/SL , Hedi does the same literal rocker girl look without any thought or imagination. MJ took those sweaty rocker girls and visualized them in new ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
you know, there are pieces i like. but i found the styling over-the-top and so was unable to really appreciate the clothes as much as when i parse each look. some of it is garish americana. but there are some nice pieces nevertheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->