Maria Grazia Chiuri - Designer, Creative Director of Christian Dior

i agree, and i think it's important you included "derived" because ultimately these new sensibilities and the clothes they inspire merely try to imitate or replicate the greats, e.g. galliano and mcqueen. it's important that we create a distinction between what they did and what these new kids are doing, because they're entirely different. the new generation lacks the wit, nuance, and intellect that the masters had. even galliano's worst shows had an interesting context, each look with its own shades of layered meaning. there was a finesse and effortlessness that this generation sorely lacks. it may have been ostentatious at times, but it was always authentic, technically excellent, and very rarely, if ever, overwrought. nowadays, everyone wants to create instant faSHUN moments, and that's what's given rise to this increasingly draggy fashion climate. what these new kids fail to understand is that drag is, whether we like it or not, low culture. low culture can never truly be haute.
That's the key difference between the designers of the 80s - early 00s era and today's designers.

While those designers made obvious references (sometimes homages) to low/pop culture, those references were elevated by nods to old-world couturiers, historical garments and fine art and architecture.

They always pushed their boundaries and traveled beyond their immediate sociocultural circle, something a very heavy majority of new designers refuse to do.

Then, all of that is wrapped up in the pretty red ribbon of technical excellence, an indiscutable standard for high fashion.

Meanwhile, today's designers are content with creating expensive clothes for a "community", meaning that they'll have, at best, two or three promising seasons near the beginning before fading away into a caricature after they've gained an audience.

Last edited:
Nicolas Ghesquière coming for Maria's job with Danielle Deadwyler at the SAG Awards.
shutterstock_editorial_13784242ib-1677464491.jpg

Source: Shutterstock

Nicolas Ghesquière coming for Maria's job with Danielle Deadwyler at the SAG Awards.

I quickly read it as if there was a reliable rumour that NG was moving to Dior. Those couple of seconds of euphoria were AMAZING. Now I’m crashed back down to earth. :rofl:

Anway, I like this interpretation of the Junon.

MGC taking Christian Dior's Pre-Fall 2023 collection (already unveiled back in December) to India on March 30, 2023:

^^
It’s interesting that this news is happening and not so long ago with @Mutterlein we talked about Couture houses that works with ateliers in India.
In a way, this is Dior creating a narrative around this practice by highlighting the Metiers d’Arts. By putting value into those ateliers now, maybe later they will assume the fact that those ateliers also produce for HC.

I don't know why they need to waste all these resources for a collection that has already been out for months, why not create something new?

Good luck trying to create the same impact as the Chanel Bombay collection from 12 years ago. That's how you do an Indian-inspired collection.

I don't know why they need to waste all these resources for a collection that has already been out for months, why not create something new?

Good luck trying to create the same impact as the Chanel Bombay collection from 12 years ago. That's how you do an Indian-inspired collection.
THAT ones of the best shows Karl ever did! very hard to top

Christian+Dior+Fall+2001+_rsE23s6A9al.jpg
Christian+Dior+Fall+2001+t9n-zTilFeHx.jpg
Christian+Dior+Fall+2003+iH2r-NA-YSdx.jpg
2109f457bdc6ce5209e435fbeb4421de.jpg

Livingly.com

I don't have high hopes but I hope is something close to these above.

Also that Chanel collection really was sooo so good. The clothes, the jewels, the hair, the makeup, the set, the music. I feel like I still think about it a lot even recently. RIP Stella

Same here! All of the elements were right (I still listen to the soundtrack). It was one of the first collections that made me become interested in fashion as a youngin. I remember passing by the Chanel store that time and seeing parts of the collection on display, it looked so luxe - made me dream to the point I was saving up lunch money to be able to buy something lol. Sorry just reminiscing.

Also I love that the examples everyone is giving of what a proper Indian-inspired collection looks like are most touristy/colonial, cliche, patronizing and hackneyed examples.

Or the fact that Maria Grazia actually wants to celebrate the actual Indians who help make the fashion industry go round and round and not turn their culture into a trend or costume and you all attack her for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stksbnn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->