Olivier Rousteing x Jean Paul Gaultier

It is very unlikely that Rousteing will be able to top Glenn Martens' last collaboration, but good luck with him! Maybe next time they should collaborate with the Schiaparelli guy given that fact he has heavily referenced Gaultier from the very beginning of his tenure.

I'm excited about this. I hope that by working with Gaultier, Olivier will have some guidance to not make the same mistake with his couture debut.

It is very unlikely that Rousteing will be able to top Glenn Martens' last collaboration, but good luck with him! Maybe next time they should collaborate with the Schiaparelli guy given that fact he has heavily referenced Gaultier from the very beginning of his tenure.

But Daniel is very one-note in his approach to Gaultier images. I don't think he can add anything interesting to the house.

What I find interesting is that Gaultier himself has been choosing designers that didn't have the same sensibility as him. I think that can add a different layer to the house. I don't think he is interested in designers that have been recycling their past ideas.

So he went from choosing two talented designers in a row to…a total hack! Guess there weren’t that many options available?

This is the opportunity for Rousteing to redeem himself…
Let’s just hope that he will have a lighter hand this time.

I would love to see an American designer have a take on Gaultier!

I bet you that he'll tap into the most heavy-handed works of JPG for design inspo. That seems to be his train-of-thought at Balmain, so why not here?

Olivier is a really nice, adorable guy. Such a sweetheart. His conviction and belief in his work is what makes me cheer for him even though his clothes are kind of hot mess.

In regards to what he might do for JPG, I am reminded of some bits from Sontag's Notes on Camp:

"Camp taste turns it back on the good-bad axis of ordinary aesthetic judgment. Camp doesn't reverse things. It doesn't argue that the good is bad, or the bad is good. What it does is to offer art (and life) a different--supplementary---set of standards."

"In naïve, or pure, Camp, the essential element is seriousness, a seriousness that fails. Of course, not all seriousness that fails can be redeemed as Camp. Only that which has the proper mixture of the exaggerated, the fantastic, the passionate, and the naïve."

Is Rousteing not the prince of camp? Was Gaultier not the king?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->