Phoebe Philo to leave Céline

The way I see it, there's really no competition out there ... I bought several pieces after the news broke, and I think they should last me awhile. Wool gabardine wears like iron :wink:

My god, all this talking around Celine and Céline seems a little disproportioned to me if I had to be honest. It's not like she tragically died, we can probably see her back in the game of revolving doors once the right kind of offer is aimed at her. I don't think a woman so much identified with like her will want to set an example of sitting on her money and remain in permanent retirement while her kids probably only just passed elementary school.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed especially the earlier part of Phoebe Philo's Céline, but all the write-ups about her women no longer having a place to shop meaningful clothes at after she left seems a bit ridiculous as well - It's not a the permanent end of an era in the same way as when Martin Margiela, Helmut Lang or Jil Sander left for good.

It's not a the permanent end of an era in the same way as when Martin Margiela, Helmut Lang or Jil Sander left for good.

I think it is in a way that the departure of Margiela, Lang and Sander wasn't.

Fashion was so different back then that people didn't really realized when those left. When JS left, i don't think people or the industry really cared tbh. Fashion was so vivid that it didn't matter.
When Margiela left, he was still a designer's designer and his last few collections weren't that well received by the die hard fans. His work evolved into something maybe less cerebral. Personally, i loved it but there were people who weren't comfortable with the idea of a "sexy Margiela" even if his work had always that slight perverse touch.

The same for Helmut. When he came back to Paris, it wasn't the same. Prada helped his fall but when he left, people had faith in Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere.

I think what Phoebe has managed to do is to have a world domination based on the "rules" of the anti fashion movement.

I would say that when Margiela, Lang or Sander left, it was the end of an era for designers. This is different. It's an end for an era for both, a designer and a brand.
In fashion, there were schools so, the spirit of Lang kinda lived on...At Balenciaga, at Givenchy even with Hedi Slimane. The same with Margiela, his spirit and above all, the codes he created for his brand lived on for years (before Galliano). The same for Jil Sander.

Celine will forever be a moment in time in fashion because now, the house is not what it used to be and if Phoebe comes back, she will move on like she did when she first joined Celine.

Phoebe Philo changed the way women dress this last decade. It's a fact. She defined "modernity".
I am a die-hard fan of Margiela/Sander/Lang but their fashion or style never became a way of dressing for millions of women. It never really trickled-down to the mass market for years.

When I mean millions of women, I don't mean millions of women buying Céline. But all those women who adopted the "Céline look", even if they don't even know about Phoebe Philo or buy the real Céline stuff.

Phoebe-Philo.jpg

source : ELLE

How many women still dress like her ? How many pairs of Adidas Stan Smith did we see this last decade ? Wide easy black pants, men coats, boyfriend jackets, leather tote bags, Birkentsock, slip-on sneakers, slippers with fur...the list is endless.

What did Margiela or Jil Sander left in the closet of the usual mass-market buyer ? Not much...

I always compare and will always compare Phoebe Philo with Coco Chanel. Those 2 women brought confort, coolness and elegance to women with a slightly subversive touch. And as Coco Chanel, Phoebe Philo just "picked" clothes or accessories already that already existed ( like Chanel picked " la marinière, la petite robe noire etc " ).

She's gonna be remembered as the one to master the gallery lady casual look. But let's not forget it really tracked back to the French capsule wardrobe trend back in early naughties, which was what 90s minimal lifestyle passed on to. It once went to the models' off duty look, to manrepeller/Isabel Marant business casual, then, being sprung to be the Celine look we know today. It's not like Phoebe made it overnight, guys. Her trousers are great, that I'll give. But making this on going trend for years and years, the spark that only Phoebe could ignite, is too much of a sentiment.

I always compare and will always compare Phoebe Philo with Coco Chanel. Those 2 women brought confort, coolness and elegance to women with a slightly subversive touch. And as Coco Chanel, Phoebe Philo just "picked" clothes or accessories already that already existed ( like Chanel picked " la marinière, la petite robe noire etc " ).

How amazing will it be when she takes over Chanel. Im calling it now.

As great as that would be, it's unlikely. Phoebe places her family like as a priority and Céline was a special case where they let her work from London. Do you really think Chanel would do the same?

As great as that would be, it's unlikely. Phoebe places her family like as a priority and Céline was a special case where they let her work from London. Do you really think Chanel would do the same?

Chanel relocated their NYC offices from NYC to London so, it could make sense.

I think that if she wants to do it, she could do it. Her children will be older and all.

I don’t think the Weirthemers will rush into finding another designer as soon as Karl retires. I can totally see Chanel for a year or two without a CD. They can afford it.

Maybe the biggest issue will be Couture but I don’t know what’s Phoebe’s creative process.

My god, all this talking around Celine and Céline seems a little disproportioned to me if I had to be honest. It's not like she tragically died, we can probably see her back in the game of revolving doors once the right kind of offer is aimed at her. I don't think a woman so much identified with like her will want to set an example of sitting on her money and remain in permanent retirement while her kids probably only just passed elementary school.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed especially the earlier part of Phoebe Philo's Céline, but all the write-ups about her women no longer having a place to shop meaningful clothes at after she left seems a bit ridiculous as well - It's not a the permanent end of an era in the same way as when Martin Margiela, Helmut Lang or Jil Sander left for good.

Spoken like a man.

Phoebe Philo changed the way women dress this last decade. It's a fact. She defined "modernity".
I am a die-hard fan of Margiela/Sander/Lang but their fashion or style never became a way of dressing for millions of women. It never really trickled-down to the mass market for years.

When I mean millions of women, I don't mean millions of women buying Céline. But all those women who adopted the "Céline look", even if they don't even know about Phoebe Philo or buy the real Céline stuff.

Phoebe-Philo.jpg

source : ELLE

How many women still dress like her ? How many pairs of Adidas Stan Smith did we see this last decade ? Wide easy black pants, men coats, boyfriend jackets, leather tote bags, Birkentsock, slip-on sneakers, slippers with fur...the list is endless.

What did Margiela or Jil Sander left in the closet of the usual mass-market buyer ? Not much...

That she is , I call her the Coco Chanel of the early 21 th century, before her no female designer has been so influential.

How much time did she take off last time? Was it 4-5 years, or is that my imagination?

How much time did she take off last time? Was it 4-5 years, or is that my imagination?
More like 3 years. Her last show for Chloe was presented in 2005 and she signed at Celine in 2008.
This time it can be around the same time frame or longer i guess...
Her third child was born in 2012 and obviously, she can’t work for anybody for 1 year (even if it’s not in her plans anyway).

I'd imagine she's already getting offers left and right for when the non-compete period ends. It would be interesting to see the brands trying to court her and how competitive their offers are. But who knows if she's even interested in coming back...

I'd imagine she's already getting offers left and right for when the non-compete period ends. It would be interesting to see the brands trying to court her and how competitive their offers are. But who knows if she's even interested in coming back...

I'd like to believe that she'll continue at another brand once she feels ready. My guess is that she felt she had nothing left to give at Celine and is using this time to be with her children more until the perfect job opportunity arises. She's not in a hurry and I love that. Her work-family balance is what I strive for in life, to be honest.

Phoebe Philo to Speak at Arts Festival in January
The former Celine designer is due to take part in the Engadin Art Talks event in the Alpine resort of Zuoz.

NOW YOU SEE HER: Is there life after fashion? Phoebe Philo may provide answers to that question, and more, during her scheduled appearance at the Engadin Art Talks festival in Switzerland on Jan. 26 and 27.

The British designer is due to join speakers including photographer Juergen Teller, who shot most of Philo’s campaigns during her 10 years at the helm of Celine. Also on the program is choreographer Cecilia Bengolea, musician Anthony Moore, architect Arno Brandlhuber and artist Lena Henke, among others.

The theme of this year’s edition is: “How do gravity and grace define current-day life in the digital age?” Launched in 2010, the E.A.T. festival aims to bridge art, design, film, architecture, science and literature with what is billed as a “holistic visitors’ experience” in the Alpine ski resort of Zuoz in the region of Engadin, near St. Moritz.

The panel discussions will be led by four of the organization’s founding members: Daniel Baumann, director of the Kunsthalle Zurich; Bice Curiger, artistic director of the Fondation Vincent van Gogh in Arles; Hans-Ulrich Obrist, artistic director of the Serpentine Gallery in London, and Philip Ursprung, professor for art and architectural history at the ETH Zurich university.

Philo left Celine in January and is understood to be taking a break to focus on her private life, as she did for three years after resigning from Chloé in 2006. Her successor, Hedi Slimane, presented his first collection for Celine in September, prompting some backlash from fans of Philo’s designs.

wwd

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sruggirello
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->