Please Help Me With My Homework/Research/Survey

^Check out Teen Vogue, they've always done lots of prom editorials (and I think a number of them are on their site and you might find them on old TV threads here too). I always thought most of their prom editorials were very beautifully done (and goodness knows its been awhile since I went to prom! haha).

Advice on the fashion industry needed for a mystery novel

I am wondering whether someone more familiar with the fashion industry than I am will be able to give me advice.

I am writing a mystery novel, where one of the nieces of the rich head of the family is an aspiring fashion designer.
I need there to be a relatively urgent situation in which if she was to get her inheritance in the next little while, this would make a great difference for her career. It would help if this situation could be reasonably believed to be a once in a lifetime kind of an opportunity.

I was thinking in something along the lines of someone giving her designs a test run, but if she was able to invest into her own marketing as well, she could have a much better chance of her contract being extended past the minimum agreed amount of time.

Does the above make any sense at all? If it doesn't, what would be an equivalently urgent situation that would actually be possible?

What kind of time limitations would there be involved? Approximately, how much money would my character need?
Any other suggestion you may have?

Two things pop into my mind as ideas to explore:

One, she' got the opportunity to launch her line at Fashion Week in NY, Milan or Paris. It would require a major investment of cash to do this ... to stage the show, hire top models and to get a solid marketing and PR team on it to make it a success. I really don't know if this can be done by an unknown designer, but I suspect that with enough money, anything is possible. This would be the most "romantic" scenario for an aspiring designer, I would think.

The second idea is probably more real and I think you were actually referring to this: She's has succeeded in her marketing efforts (maybe something rather creative, other than the FW show) and has caught the attention of a buyer from a major store (Neimans, Saks, Barneys, or any high end store ... maybe pick one in Paris) and needs the injection of money to start production, or they will walk.

No idea of how much this would take, ... but I am thinking.it would run in the hundreds of thousands, at the very least for either one. it would require some soled research on your part, to make sure you have the facts right for either one of these things.

Thank you so much, Bette.

One, she' got the opportunity to launch her line at Fashion Week in NY, Milan or Paris. It would require a major investment of cash to do this ... to stage the show, hire top models and to get a solid marketing and PR team on it to make it a success. ...I suspect that with enough money, anything is possible.
This option is very attractive, but I think it is lacking the once-in-a-lifetime element. If that certain amount of cash would be able to buy her the spot at a Fashion Week this time, it would be possible at some point later as well. That's what I am thinking, anyway.

The second idea is probably more real and I think you were actually referring to this: She's has succeeded in her marketing efforts (maybe something rather creative, other than the FW show) and has caught the attention of a buyer from a major store (Neimans, Saks, Barneys, or any high end store ... maybe pick one in Paris) and needs the injection of money to start production, or they will walk.

No idea of how much this would take, ... but I am thinking.it would run in the hundreds of thousands, at the very least for either one.
Yes, this is very fitting with what I was thinking.
I wonder, what kind of funds would be needed and how much time limit she would have...

...it would require some soled research on your part, to make sure you have the facts right for either one of these things.
Any advice on where would I go from here to find out more details?

Any advice on where would I go from here to find out more details?

there are MANY documentaries on fashion week that are readily available on across MULTIPLE platforms. for example "The Tents".

the inheiritance angle seems a bit weak, i would use a potential infusion of capital from a venture capitalist as a possible conceit instead or bette's suggestion of a buyer.

the inheiritance angle seems a bit weak, i would use a potential infusion of capital from a venture capitalist as a possible conceit
Being able to make do without the inheritance will entirely remove her as a murder suspect. Not good.

instead or bette's suggestion of a buyer.
Unless I can find a way to make the Fashion Week a believable once in lifetime option, the buyer is what I will be going with.

I hope I can get help here.
For my Consumer Behavior assignment I should run a report on ethics and social issues in the fashion industry. To complete it, I need to determine people's opinions on this topic. I would be very thankful if you could take 5 minutes and answer to 9 simple questions in the survey I have created. Here is the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VYBR5PV
I need at least 15 participants. Thank you so much in advance!

I hope I can get help here.
For my Consumer Behavior assignment I should run a report on ethics and social issues in the fashion industry. To complete it, I need to determine people's opinions on this topic. I would be very thankful if you could take 5 minutes and answer to 9 simple questions in the survey I have created. Here is the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VYBR5PV
I need at least 15 participants. Thank you so much in advance!

done! the survey took me less than 5 minutes. :flower:

Thank you so much lucy92! I have run my report. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Hey ladies (and ladies only, sorry guys :smile:), I need your help again for the last time this semester. For the final group project I need to do another research. The project is about introducing a new line to a famous fashion brand, and my group needs to analyse people's reaction to it. Please, help my college team out and do the survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RGY7RY2. And to make it all more fun, my college team decided to give a chance to participants to be a part of a give-away for an Amazon gift card.
Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
The best beauty school in the world?

Hi all,

I'm the content director at Mastered.com, an online fashion school who work with some of the world's leading fashion experts (think learning tailoring from the very best on Savile Row).

I'm commissioning a set of online beauty courses from fashion industry leaders (names to be announced very soon!) and I'd love to know what you'd like to see in these beauty courses. Think professional skills that teach you how to get paid work. Is it about finding an agent? Prepping for shoots? Hiring a team or becoming part of a team?

Imagine you could learn anything directly from the artists who work on Vogue front covers and the world's finest runway shows - what would you have them teach you?

**Edited**

Cheers,
Perri

Last edited by a moderator:
Luxury Fashion in the Digital Era

Hey guys,

I am conducting a primary research on consumers' attitude towards luxury fashion brands and how e-commerce could be better implemented in their strategy. I would be so grateful if you could spare no more than 3 minutes to fill in the questionnaire! Your opinion on the matter will be extremely helpful for the completion of my dissertation as a final project in my degree. Please click on the link below and thanks in advance for your time and effort:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LR3CCDH

Best wishes
Ellie

The impact of world news on fashion imagery...

As part of my dissertation for university I am exploring how the imagery in fashion magazines is affected by world news, politics and pop culture. From Michelle Obama and Hilary Clinton on the cover of American Vogue, the oil spill photo shoot by Steven Meisel in Italian Vogue and the on-going topic of racism in fashion, it is obvious that global issues influence fashion imagery.

What are your opinions on this? Do you feel like fashion photographers and editors are right to create work based around controversial topics (oil-spill, hurricane sandy etc.) or do you think it is tasteless and drums up controversy for no real reason?
Does politics have a place in Vogue? British Vogue is another example of a magazine that frequently feature political figures and often the wife of the Prime Minister.

I personally feel that it is inevitable that the world around us and the issues in our society will influence the image makers of today. I think that it can definitely be controversial but that that can sometimes be a good thing. On the topic of politics, I don't know whether Vogue is the place to feature that, however I do think that American Vogue usually handles such topics very well and in a magazine that is supposed to appeal to the modern woman, it can be said that politics and world issues are a part of that. I think that it's a really interesting topic of discussion, especially comparing the pop culture influences (reality TV stars, celebrity scandal, film and television) that have impacted fashion imagery over the last 15 years, against the influence of politics, world news and more 'serious' subjects.

I'm interested in any and all opinions, views and ideas towards anything that I've initially discussed. Like I said, I'm really intrigued by this particular topic and would love to know the opinions of others on whether fashion is the place to have a dialogue about world issues.

:flower:

I think that people often find it distasteful to use global events (particularly tragic events) to sell something. Even though a lot of these fashion magazines have editorials that are meant to be more like art, their purpose is essentially to sell clothes. Although even that kind of imagery in art that's for making a statement is sometimes taken with a backlash. There's this idea that by using some event in art, and especially fashion (which a lot of people see as shallow and apathetic and removed from reality), makes it seem like the event is not being taken seriously, that it's a joke. But yes, I do think that global events inspire fashion imagery, but what matters is the reason why that imagery was created. You have some people who seem to have tasteless reasons such as trying to be cool and relevant or whatever, and you have others who are trying to make a statement and mean well. I recall seeing this one editorial in a brand new yet to open nuclear plant, and it was done at the time when nuclear power was a hotly debated topic(because of the fukushima incident), and the caption for the editorial talked about how nuclear power had become controversial. Then you have that one vogue editorial that took place after hurricane Sandy, and it seems like they meant well, but it got backlash because people thought that it was tasteless to use that to basically sell clothes. I think it's the reason behind the image that mostly counts.
As for political figures being talked about in fashion, well a lot of these people are just basically celebrities so it makes sense that fashion notices them. Although if a political figure who is considered corrupt or something like that starts being hailed as a fashion icon, then that would be bad.

British Vogue is another example of a magazine that frequently feature political figures and often the wife of the Prime Minister.

Politics ends up in UK Vogue because some of the people who work there are related to the people they're featuring on the pages. It's simple nepotism in action, rather than a debate about ideology for the benefit of the readers.

Hey guys,

I am conducting a primary research on consumers' attitude towards luxury fashion brands and how e-commerce could be better implemented in their strategy. I would be so grateful if you could spare no more than 3 minutes to fill in the questionnaire! Your opinion on the matter will be extremely helpful for the completion of my dissertation as a final project in my degree. Please click on the link below and thanks in advance for your time and effort:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LR3CCDH

Best wishes
Ellie

I saw quite a few issues relevant to my shopping habits not addressed in the survey :wink: I have ordered from my favorite brand's website, but I don't do so more often because what they offer there is very limited. This is true of some other brands I buy as well, when you'd think the brand's own site should be the ultimate source of what they produce. (In a few cases, this is probably true, but it's not the norm.) Customer engagement via e-mail, etc. helps the brand overall, but if they want to drive sales on their own site, the merchandise needs to be there. For a number of brands, I can find a significantly better selection on Farfetch than I can on their own sites.

What's happening in the world at large will certainly find its way into fashion magazines--no one could keep it out. I'm fine with that, as long as serious, complex topics aren't treated flippantly.

I believe that fashion does not live in a void. And I believe that designers are influenced by world events and politics ... in their actual designs. So, they really cannot and probably should not be separated.

In free counties ... everyone gets to express their views about political issues and this includes advertisers and editors. In the end, if it is too distasteful, consumers will react by withholding their money and the editors and advertisers will be forced to rethink their policies.

It probably does influence the pubic opinion ... but they so does TV, music, movies, and everything else we look at, read and listen to.

Thanks for all your responses guys, it's really helpful to hear (or I should say read) other people's views. Definitely some things to think about in relation to my essay.

Then you have that one vogue editorial that took place after hurricane Sandy, and it seems like they meant well, but it got backlash because people thought that it was tasteless to use that to basically sell clothes. I think it's the reason behind the image that mostly counts.
I think this is a really interesting issue and from my research it seems a lot of people have a real problem with the idea of the fashion business dealing with topics you would consider more serious. I think some people see it as exploitative.

Politics ends up in UK Vogue because some of the people who work there are related to the people they're featuring on the pages. It's simple nepotism in action, rather than a debate about ideology for the benefit of the readers
That's very enlightening, in my naivety I wouldn't have even thought of that as the reason but it really is interesting.

I believe that fashion does not live in a void. And I believe that designers are influenced by world events and politics ... in their actual designs. So, they really cannot and probably should not be separated.
This is excellently put and I fully agree with you. I think that the creative world as a whole is influenced by what goes on around us, but fashion is one of the most visible and accessible to lots of people and I think it should reflect what's going on. Some of the best movements in fashion (and consequently the photographs that document it) have been reactions to politics and huge global events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->